• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winners for 2010-2011: Who to Watch This Summer

thetrailboss

Staff member
So it is time for the annual winners for 2010-2011, at least from my armchair perspective. Here is my list...feel free to add your perspectives...

Jay Peak for the second year in a row has been bullish with extending the season. They went two more weekends than any other resort in Vermont and even braved the weekend rains to go one more weekend than Sugarloaf. With all the snow, all the construction, and all of the catering to the hardcore AZer, I can only say, "BOOM! Jay Peak!"

Cannon debuted the Mittersill Double, which provided lift accessed terrain to that area for the first time since 1989 or so (and I mean direct lift access, not hike to access). They picked the right season to do it with the snow cover. They also pushed the season out another weekend or two.

Word has it that Saddleback has been discovered and had many holidays with lines for the chairlifts. It sounds like this place has taken off finally and is on solid ground.

And who can forget the incredible early season pitch that Sunday River made last fall? Skiing in October? Yep, that is Sunday River. Nice move. They have solidified their place as the early season go-to option. Hell, I even skied there on November 7th and had a great time. Boyne has got the right idea here.

As for who to watch this summer and for next season, I'd include:

Burke is cutting a lift line to the summit from MidBurke. They had supposedly all but sealed the deal on buying Ascutney's old HSQ, but now word has it there might be a snafu or two. So is there a backup plan? Will Burke see a new HSQ to the summit finally? They had a solid season with a bonus weekend of skiing and riding. Tons of snow helps out.

After the Spillway disaster, Sugarloaf is expanding Brackett Basin into Phase II of that project and is putting in the new heavier and supposedly wind resistant Spillway Quad. Fingers crossed that those Doppelmayr Quad chairs weigh more than those old loaded Borvig double chairs. So what is next for the 'loaf?

And the slow economy is forcing Bolton Valley's primary owners, Redstone, to think about their exit strategy. The first move was to lease off their Ponds complex to the Inn at Essex (New England Culinary Institute) for weddings and other parties. This is a long-term lease with an option to buy. Second, and more controversial, is that they said that they were in a P&S Agreement with someone to buy the extensive parcel of land that holds the prime BC and XC terrain. What will the land be used for? A second home. Hopefully they won't be using the 1,800 acres in the winter so folks can still ski the deep snow out there. If it is lost, this is a shame and a real blow to BV. Beyond that Redstone is looking for someone to either partner or take over the alpine area. The hotel and much of the base area is owned by Ralph DesLaurier's ex-wife. Damn divorce lawyers!

After moving on Wildcat to add a serious mountain to their portfolio, Peak Resorts is going public to help get some cash to pay down debt and move ahead with improvements. They are going ahead with the new six pack at Mount Snow and trying to push for water access at the nearby Somerset Reservoir. This sounds eerily like the former ASC Empire, whose Emperor blamed Wall Street investors for the fall of the Empire in an interview with Killington historian Karen Lorentz. Speaking of Les Otten, where are his negotiation skills when you need them? He gave up Northeast Passage in exchange for a long pipeline to Woodward Reservoir in the late 1990's. Folks complain about the loss of Northeast Passage while standing on deep machine made snow bases at Killington. But then again, Killingtonians complain about everything....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Speaking of Les Otten, where are his negotiation skills when you need them? He gave up Northeast Passage in exchange for a long pipeline to Woodward Reservoir in the late 1990's. Folks complain about the loss of Northeast Passage while standing on deep machine made snow bases at Killington. But then again, Killingtonians complain about everything....

The Woodward Reservoir project most certainly increased their snowmaking capacity significantly, but as a kid before that project, I recall standing on deep man made bases long into May and sometimes June. I don't see how they are related. Early season terrain expansion is what they gained from Woodward, but Pres Smith was much more aggressive overall with the equipment he had.

We all cheered Jay for their efforts going long this season. I'm sure if Killington made a similar effort as well as kept Bear open a week or two longer, the complaints would be FAR less. I don't really have a problem with the majority of the complaints coming from K skiers. What we all cheered Jay for doing this spring, is what the K skier has lost. Actually, they lost more than what Jay accomplished as what Jay did this year was the norm for Killington, not a record length season.

Vortex

The Boyne pass gives you Oct to May turns and it has been consistant for a few years. Plenty of snow making and add Loon as a mid week powder option, not to mention an easy day trip for the Metro Boston area has made this an easy choice for many.

Bracket basin brought quite a bit of attention as well as the new lift.

To me its Oct to May with great coverage at a good price, knowing that is more important to new things to me. More actions than words here most of the time.

snowmonster

And who can forget the incredible early season pitch that Sunday River made last fall? Skiing in October? Yep, that is Sunday River. Nice move. They have solidified their place as the early season go-to option. Hell, I even skied there on November 7th and had a great time. Boyne has got the right idea here.
Let's not forget that, by opening on October 22, Sunday River was the first to open in the nation this season.

After the Spillway disaster, Sugarloaf is expanding Brackett Basin into Phase II of that project and is putting in the new heavier and supposedly wind resistant Spillway Quad. Fingers crossed that those Doppelmayr Quad chairs weigh more than those old loaded Borvig double chairs. So what is next for the 'loaf?
Let's also not forget that this is the year that the Loaf opened Brackett Basin. I personally am looking forward to the expansion to Burnt Mountain. Sidecountry skiing has really taken off!

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I can't believe this. Still no word on improvements at Waterville?!? (other than extending the t-bar)

The Sununus have basically said they plan to do a lot of under the hood stuff to get the ski area back up to major resort standards. They certainly made a lot more snow on some trails than the previous ownership had been in recent years.

Newpylong

After moving on Wildcat to add a serious mountain to their portfolio, Peak Resorts is going public to help get some cash to pay down debt and move ahead with improvements. They are going ahead with the new six pack at Mount Snow and trying to push for water access at the nearby Somerset Reservoir. This sounds eerily like the former ASC Empire, whose Emperor blamed Wall Street investors for the fall of the Empire in an interview with Killington historian Karen Lorentz. Speaking of Les Otten, where are his negotiation skills when you need them? He gave up Northeast Passage in exchange for a long pipeline to Woodward Reservoir in the late 1990's. Folks complain about the loss of Northeast Passage while standing on deep machine made snow bases at Killington. But then again, Killingtonians complain about everything....

They gave up on Somerset a few years ago after a decade of fighting for it, they are now trying to build their own snowmaking pond called "West Lake".

Geoff

Speaking of Les Otten, where are his negotiation skills when you need them? He gave up Northeast Passage in exchange for a long pipeline to Woodward Reservoir in the late 1990's. Folks complain about the loss of Northeast Passage while standing on deep machine made snow bases at Killington. But then again, Killingtonians complain about everything....

You have your facts wrong.

Sunrise/Northeast Passage had nothing to do with the Woodward Reservoir. Les Otten closed the Northeast Passage Triple because that part of the resort was underutilized.

You'll recall that Otten did a land swap giving up Parker's Gore in exchange for the land in Killington Basin where the village is supposed to go. He also managed to buy Pico when Pres Smith had failed many times to strike a deal with them. That shifted the expansion direction for Killington from Parker's Gore beyond the Northeast Passage triple to the Killington-Pico interconnect.

The Woodward Reservoir project took around 15 years to navigate the permitting & Act 250 lawsuits and the resort gave up nothing in exchange for that permit other than huge dollars to law firms. Otten happened to be around when the last of the lawsuits had been dealt with.

I miss the NEP triple.... not so much for the skiing since it only had a few turns of decent terrain. I miss being able to ski down to the Back Behind for lunch and/or drinks. I don't blame the Otten Killington for shutting down the lift. When they added the Vale lot, they no longer needed it for overflow parking. It wasn't worth blowing snow, maintaining a lift, heating and staffing a day lodge, plowing the lot, sled dog, lift attendants, ....

twinplanx

I'll be the first to give a nod to Magic for doing there thing. I did not get a chance to hit Magic this season, but from what I've seen on this forum they seem to be moving in the right direction.

cannonist

One to watch! Can you fill us in as to what else they did? What they plan to do?

I havn't heard anything which isnt suprising, my family hasnt been in the loop at waterville for quite a few years now, but I would really like to see where they are going with this. They did make a lot more snow this year however, particularly on underated trails such as the boneyard. Although I havnt heard anything yet Ill keep on it. The mountain has so much potential.

skiadikt

The Woodward Reservoir project most certainly increased their snowmaking capacity significantly, but as a kid before that project, I recall standing on deep man made bases long into May and sometimes June. I don't see how they are related. Early season terrain expansion is what they gained from Woodward, but Pres Smith was much more aggressive overall with the equipment he had.

We all cheered Jay for their efforts going long this season. I'm sure if Killington made a similar effort as well as kept Bear open a week or two longer, the complaints would be FAR less. I don't really have a problem with the majority of the complaints coming from K skiers. What we all cheered Jay for doing this spring, is what the K skier has lost. Actually, they lost more than what Jay accomplished as what Jay did this year was the norm for Killington, not a record length season.

yup, woodward's given them a more reliable water supply but pres had no problem blowing snow until the snowmaking ponds were dry. woodward's had no impact on overall base depths which were deeper in pres' day.

agree with geoff, unlike others i haven't mourned the lose of the old sunrise area. a couple of those trails provided some fun turns on a pow day but since you could only access them from the mid-station, you had burn two runs to get there and another lift ride to get out. it wasn't the best bang for the buck in terms of effort.

Glenn

I'm hoping to watch some of the towers go in for the new Mt Snow 6 Pack.

AdironRider

indeed

with the right expansion, Waterville could match Loon in terrain offerings for that market segment. Maybe exceed Loon with advanced skiers as well.

So true, back in the day I had a pass there (in combo with Loon and Cranmore I believe) and spent probably 90% of my NH season there. That place rips and would definitely blow Loon out of the water if it really expanded.

Waterville has always had the best park IMO, and seemed to be pretty progressive when I skied there. Havent been back in easily 5 seasons. Not that park is what I care about, but in terms of competing with the Loon families, if the kids are happy the rents are happy right?

cannonist

So true, back in the day I had a pass there (in combo with Loon and Cranmore I believe) and spent probably 90% of my NH season there. That place rips and would definitely blow Loon out of the water if it really expanded.

Waterville has always had the best park IMO, and seemed to be pretty progressive when I skied there. Havent been back in easily 5 seasons. Not that park is what I care about, but in terms of competing with the Loon families, if the kids are happy the rents are happy right?

Unfortunately I dont think the ski area is the first investment on the Sununus Minds. And I'm not sure it should be. The conference is one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen, the Athletic Club isn't meeting todays standards, and just in general there are a lot of repairs out and around the valley.

Having said that, YES Waterville could blow away Loon with some expansion.

bobbutts

I miss the NEP triple.... not so much for the skiing since it only had a few turns of decent terrain. I miss being able to ski down to the Back Behind for lunch and/or drinks. I don't blame the Otten Killington for shutting down the lift. When they added the Vale lot, they no longer needed it for overflow parking. It wasn't worth blowing snow, maintaining a lift, heating and staffing a day lodge, plowing the lot, sled dog, lift attendants, ....

I always feel bad for the Cedarbrook hotel down there. Location went from slopeside to the middle of nowhere overnight. I have some good memories of NEP lift when it was terrible weather or ultra-crowded up high. And some good meals at the Back Behind too.. The thing that amazes me is that they're still open today! I'm afraid to eat there though since it's so uncrowded.

DoublePlanker

I'll be disappointed if Waterville doesn't do something. At least announce a master plan for expansion. I have not skied Waterville for a few years. It just seems Loon has passed it. Cannon is so much more value. Other mountains seem to make better snow (perhaps changed this past season.)

I thought I read skier visits are significantly down at Waterville from years ago. I would think expansion would be a high priority to gain market share. Loon and Cannon have had significant expansions over the years.

Of course, improved snowmaking is always priority number 1. You have to make your existing product the best it can be in this market.

Perhaps facilities in the village are in need of repair.

From my selfish perspective I would like to see a HSQ to Tecumseh summit with 2000 vertical. A couple of high speed cruising expert trails + 1 narrow old school run + a bunch of glades. My skier visits would go from 0 to 5+. :)