• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Cup Season on TV

Puck it

I know Birds of Prey will be on NBC, but has anyone heard if the rest of the season will be braodcast anywhere. Solden is last then a week away.

I never got the whole Universal Sports leaving Comcast. Universal Psorts was owned by NBC. And Comcast owned >50% of of NBC. WTF!!!!!!!

skiberg

I thought i heard that NBC Sports Channel, formerly known as versus, had contrasted to pick up all the world cup races. The AP story on Vonn wanting to ski at lake Louise claims this but have not heard or seen any real confirmation of this.

rev bubba

I have to agree. Puck it! Besides, I should be skiing when they are racing so to hell with Universal Sports, NBC, Fios, and the rest of 'em.

It always drives me crazy that they show this stuff when we are schussing. Luckily we have DVR's now.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ready to Rock for 2012-13!

I just got my WC season's fix. I'm streaming from my PC via a VPN and Eurosports. 12 months for about $115. Includes every imaginable sport. You can watch them live (hell, WC starts at about 3:30AM eastern) or on demand (after the lifts close). Full coverage. After I tried out a few servers, I found one coming in at 2000kbps. Never a dropout or "buffering". I'm in heaven.

None of this "highlight" crap. It's up and running in less than 45 mins, including all the credit card stuff.

I used to pay to stream off universalsports.com. Then I got word of the change in July and started looking for alternatives. FIOS doesn't carry it and I'm not paying up the wazoo for satellite.

Can't wait for next Saturday in Solden. I'm pumped!

BenedictGomez

I still dont understand what happenend here.

If Universal Sports cant be profitable on its' own, I'd get it, but given its' owned by NBC, and NBC bought Versus (now NBC Sports), what's the problem?

Just eliminate Universal Sports and move their content that actually gets viewed (which isnt much) to NBC Sports (they did that with Tour de France). Seriously, what am I missing that makes this such a complicated equation? Just move the FIS WC and the occasional figure skating event to NBC Sports.

maine

billski, Can you provide some more details about the streaming you signed up for? Can you share the links on where to sign up. Thanks

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I still dont understand what happenend here.

If Universal Sports cant be profitable on its' own, I'd get it, but given its' owned by NBC, and NBC bought Versus (now NBC Sports), what's the problem?

Just eliminate Universal Sports and move their content that actually gets viewed (which isnt much) to NBC Sports (they did that with Tour de France). Seriously, what am I missing that makes this such a complicated equation? Just move the FIS WC and the occasional figure skating event to NBC Sports.

It's a business model change. They believe they can make vastly more money by signing long term contracts with honkin-big cable providers who have great market penetration. When the cable providers bundle services together, you get lots of channels you may not want, including US. But they still get money for it even if you don't use it.

If they relied on streaming via the net, it's a variable rate of viewers who come and go based on 3, 6 and 12 month contracts.

It' interesting that cable subscribers can use the on demand net for no additional cost. I thought they might tear that down, since it requires additional infrastructure to fund, operate and maintain.

maine

I just got my WC season's fix. I'm streaming from my PC via a VPN and Eurosports. 12 months for about $115. Includes every imaginable sport. You can watch them live (hell, WC starts at about 3:30AM eastern) or on demand (after the lifts close). Full coverage. After I tried out a few servers, I found one coming in at 2000kbps. Never a dropout or "buffering". I'm in heaven.
QUOTE]

Where can I sign up for this billski?

BenedictGomez

It's a business model change. They believe they can make vastly more money by signing long term contracts with honkin-big cable providers who have great market penetration. When the cable providers bundle services together, you get lots of channels you may not want, including US. But they still get money for it even if you don't use it.

Yeah, I understand all that, but the problem is the "honkin-big cable providers" are pushing back against this on channels that people actually WANT, let alone for channels that only 1 in 100 cable customers watch. Yes, WE would love to have Universal Sports NBC, but the big picture is that not many do. And those giant cable companies know it and arent going to pay out the teeth for USNBC like it's ESPN or even MSG.

ScottySkis

Yeah, I understand all that, but the problem is the "honkin-big cable providers" are pushing back against this on channels that people actually WANT, let alone for channels that only 1 in 100 cable customers watch. Yes, WE would love to have Universal Sports NBC, but the big picture is that not many do. And those giant cable companies know it and arent going to pay out the teeth for USNBC like it's ESPN or even MSG.

My aunt got dish network like half price of Time Warner and more channels. I'm thinking of switching too.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Just read about how China once again blocked internet service from the US after a NYT article on the president's family wealth. I was thinking about how VPN would be a perfect sneak around. Two minutes later, the reporter said that's exactly what they do. I wonder what else we are missing out on?