• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Would you rent skis??????????

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
Do any "real" skiers (there's a can of worms) rent skis? I ask because in another thread somebody mentioned that to save airline baggage $$ they would rent. I'm not stupid I see the pros and cons to each. Rental skis are no longer necessarily second-rate entry level boards. But as for me...

I'll take the hit on baggage fees and ski with MY skis and bindings.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Yes especially in snowy Utah, my skis sink their in powder days.

Hawkshot99

I would not go into a rental shop and get a regular rental. But have no problem going to a demo shop and get some high performance skis.

The one time I have been west, I took my skis as it was free on Southwest. But it definitely sucked getting them through the airports and transported. If I had to pay baggage fees, there is a really good chance that I would rent at my destination.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I'm fortunate enough to make a trip out west again, I'll probably rent. Every time in the past I've brought my own, but the fees weren't as bad back then (2001) and the available equipment wasn't as good.

Another thing to consider is having your boards lost by the airlines in transit. I think the best option is to bring your outerwear and boots on the plane on a carry on and then rent when you get out there. In today's online age, it's probably pretty easy to reserve skis in advance that will offer the characteristics you're looking for.

ScottySkis

When I'm fortunate enough to make a trip out west again, I'll probably rent. Every time in the past I've brought my own, but the fees weren't as bad back then (2001) and the available equipment wasn't as good.

Another thing to consider is having your boards lost by the airlines in transit. I think the best option is to bring your outerwear and boots on the plane on a carry on and then rent when you get out there. In today's online age, it's probably pretty easy to reserve skis in advance that will offer the characteristics you're looking for.

Not only lost sometimes the pilot takes off the skis and snowboards from the plane and don't tell the people on the plane into you land and wait for your stuff to come out and then find out. ( I never fly that plane again to SLC)!:(

BenedictGomez

Do any "real" skiers (there's a can of worms) rent skis? I ask because in another thread somebody mentioned that to save airline baggage $$ they would rent. I'm not stupid I see the pros and cons to each. Rental skis are no longer necessarily second-rate entry level boards. But as for me...

That was me.

Yes; I'd rent as opposed to paying fees, lugging skis all over tarnation, and risking them ending up in Sri Lanka instead of Salt Lake.

I'm assuming I'd be able to rent "my" skis (which is highly likely), and frankly, they're just not that critical to me. I wouldnt rent boots, but yes I'd easily rent skis.

gmcunni

i've felt this way in the past but next trip that requires a plane ride i'll likely rent. from east coast to west coast the conditions are so different (any my quiver so thin) that i think getting a different setup would translate to more fun for me on the slopes.

steamboat1

Not only lost sometimes the pilot takes off the skis and snowboards from the plane and don't tell the people on the plane into you land and wait for your stuff to come out and then find out. ( I never fly that plane again to SLC)!:(
Translation please...:)

Love ya Scotty.

Blizzard of Wahhs

Only gapers rent shit brah

ScottySkis

Translation please...:)

Love ya Scotty.

Translation- When I first went to SLC they took off all the ski and snowboarding equipment because of weight ( no problem with that) but they didn't tell us. Go to get suitcase that comes, go to separate ski section nothing for our plane comes so then go to find out that they put everyone stuff on later plane, but I was planning on going to Park City and skiing for free with airline ticket, that is why I booked 6 am flight. If they told us I could have made arrangements for rentals, so I never got my free day at park City. And they got my stuff to my hotel by 4 am so airline didn't have to pay for rentals, I never fly that airline if I do not have to again.:mad:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Translation- When I first went to SLC they took off all the ski and snowboarding equipment because of weight ( no problem with that) but they didn't tell us. Go to get suitcase that comes, go to separate ski section nothing for our plane comes so then go to find out that they put everyone stuff on later plane, but I was planning on going to Park City and skiing for free with airline ticket, that is why I booked 6 am flight. If they told us I could have made arrangements for rentals, so I never got my free day at park City. And they got my stuff to my hotel by 4 am so airline didn't have to pay for rentals, I never fly that airline if I do not have to again.:mad:

Close, to English that is.

KevinF

Southwest will get you to Salt Lake, Denver and the Tahoe area... all without a baggage fee.

I usually go out for about a week, so the cost of high performance demo skis adds up pretty quickly. I've gotten demo skis for absolutely epic powder days (i.e., multiple feet has fallen overnight), but otherwise I prefer to ski on what I regularly ski on here in New England (which has varied over the years, but usually something 80-something underfoot).

Smellytele

I have done both. Last time in Tahoe I brought the kids' skis but wife and I rented higher end gear. Tele stuff is sometimes harder to find but find a cool shop in Truckee before we went out and was able to exchange the skis a couple of times for the conditions.
Rented another time in SLC because it was an unplanned stop when I was booted out of Canada on a bad work trip (story for another day). Brought my skis to CO and also to France but that was the days before baggage fees. Next year I haven't decided yet what I'll do when we travel to CO.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Tele stuff is sometimes harder to find but find a cool shop in Truckee before we went out and was able to exchange the skis a couple of times for the conditions.
That's my issue as well, but I did demo in CB last year from a place we found that had exactly what I wanted to try. Ended up buying a pair. :) Headed to Austria this winter and don't expect to be able to find and tele demos so it's not really an option.

farlep99

That's my issue as well, but I did demo in CB last year from a place we found that had exactly what I wanted to try. Ended up buying a pair. :) Headed to Austria this winter and don't expect to be able to find and tele demos so it's not really an option.

Where in Austria are you heading? I go every year & have to bring my skis because tele is hard to come by in most places. St. Anton has a tele shop right in town with reasonable rentals. Otherwise you have to haul them over. What's worse, it used to be that skis were free on Lufthansa or Swiss Air, but as of June 2012 that's no longer the case :cry:

Cheese

Lufthansa offers 1 bag free and the second is $150. So with a round-trip luggage fee of $300 it's more economical to rent. Plus the European rental shops have Stocklis!