• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yankees sign Texiera(or however you spell that name)

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Yanks are spending their money these days faster the the federal gov't can hand out our money via bailouts! :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141

and their also asking and receiving tax exempt bonds totaling close to 1 Billion dollars to build their new stadium.

of course then there's their neighbors across town who will be playing on Citi Field of Citi Financial 45 billion bailout fame.

madness

Mike P.

How many of the elite types who bought luxury boxes had their money with Madroff or in hedge funds where they can't take their money out.

The public financing both of these is bad orbail out funding (but done elsewhere also at least in teax emepmt of tax deferred) & considering they closed one of the iconic parks in the Bronx it's worse.

Sox need to go get top of the line pitcher, by trade likely. Since Toronto seems willing to rebuild & Halloday isn't any younger, that would be the AL east proven winner (maybe the best pitcher in baseball IMO - sorry CC & Johann) I'd trade high prospects for. Roy H., Beckett (healthy) and an improving Lester & Dice-K would be dominant.

Talk that Yankees are now out of the Manny sweepstakes because they got there big hitter but really, what's the differnece between spending 423M this off season on free agents vs. 490 - 500M???????

the best pitching beats the best hitting every time.

tjf67

I think Hank realized that as well. We have a jacket pitching staff this year as well.

Having both is going to make us tough to beat.

Mike P.

Until CC pitches well in the play-off after 200 innings I'll have some doubts & Vs. Red Sox he's 2-4. (lit him up in 2007 post season)

AJ has only one (last year) healthy complete year. I saw his interview with either the Fan or YES and he did say he learned to pitch this year Vs. throw heat. If so, he may be the better acquistion

Wong has been consistent the two prior years but has not been great i the post season. Sounds like Andy will be pitcher #4.

Mildcat

CC will burn himself out right before the playoffs like he did the past two years, AJ will Start about 15 games between injuries, and Teixeira will turn into a "Punching Judy" hitter in the playoffs like he did last year against the Sox.

Of coarse I don't really believe that but just humor me here.

Mike P.

One of the few in NYC

Think sox should chase hard for Hanley R. (can you name 5 young players you'd rather have?) salary not bad, can play center maybe not at Ells ability but hits for power, average & can steal. A package with Ells, Bucholz & Anderson (maybe another kid okay) does not hurt sox.

Heard someone say why don't Yanks chase him, they could use a better offensice CF than Melky or Gardner. True but don't have the AAA & AA talent to offer FL

Same situation as in 2006 when they traded HR for Beckett & Lowell. A great prospect for an Ace who had shut the Yanks down in the WS & a high $$$ guy who had a bad year but appeared to have a swing made for Fenway. The prospect got the opportunity to play & develop in the major leagues which would not happen in Boston & you got proven stars.

Now Hanley is the proven star & the other three either need to grow their game or have yet to play in the Majors. If Anderson develops, you can pick him up from Florida (like Hanley) because Marlins can't pay a star the going rate & Anderson is a first baseman. Lowell will be gone (you don't have to trade him like you would have if you got Tex) & since the Yankees have a First Baseman for the next 8 years they can't trade (thanks Scott B) the Yanks won't outbid you for Anderson.

If you don't pick up Hanley (who's $$$ for 09 is reasonable) since he also plays SS, the Yanks in a couple of years may need one of those & you don't want the Marlins looking to unload Hanley's contract when the Yanks are replacing a retiring Jeter. (Their farm system may re-tool by then too) For the next several years the Sox have the biggest checkbook remaining for corner infielders. Youk should be one of them, Anderson in two or three years might be the other but maybe not. Yanks will not be looking for one.

Sox need another major arm to comabt new NYY line-up. Maybe Toronto looking for young talent to rebuild since they lost a couple of key players, (or Seattle). Sox should look for Halloday or Bedard trades, both have proven AL east ability. Peavy & Penney pitch well in NL, which Yankee bat looks like a .200 hitting SS?

Last edited: