• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yawgoo Valley Ski Area Exeter, RI 1/13/2014

hrstrat57

I figured with temps in 50's for foreseeable future I better get over to the Goo or risk missing skiing at "home".

Deep cover still on open trails, manky snow caused by 50's and sunshine. Shaded areas ski'd awesome sunny spots were s l o w.
Stayed 2 1/2 got my fill and out.

$25 early week skiing, not bad deal. Maybe 20 peeps max on the hill. Ticket good till 8, might go back over after group learn to ski program clears out.

Brown ground:

1004940_10200586455862462_768048258_n.jpg

Super crowded as you can see....

1601310_10200586452422376_1821858237_n.jpg

skifree

Is the tubing hill open? One of the best tubing hills around. Crazy wrecks after a thaw freeze cycle. We used to fly way up into the net

skifree

Oh yes. Some good times after class at URI and a few beers.
I like the way they have a pusher that will give you a spinning start. Saw one dude fly right over the net on the side

frapcap

I keep forgetting about that place. Should go over there for some 1 ski drills.

ScottySkis

Not to far from South Vermont have you been to the hills their yet. Sugarloaf trip in Maine with A zoners is coming up in few weeks very very cheap price and probably conserding the best or top 3 in North east you should go their is a thread dedicated on fourms check it out.

Mapnut

Yawgoo is an odd sort of legend. I haven't been in many years but it doesn't seem much has changed. "Valley" in the name is appropriate. Approaching it from the west, there doesn't seem to be a hill anywhere around. You drive through level woods, and have to wonder, "There's a ski area here?" Then you start down into a valley, 240 feet deep.

I had my only-ever skiing injury there (knock on wood), a permanently disfiguring one! I stopped on the edge of a trail, where the 18" of base dropped down to the grass and leaves. My skis slid backward over the edge, I fell forward, a ski came up and chipped my front tooth!

hrstrat57

Goo was closed yesterday but Max got out there and spread the goods around and is opening again from 12-8 today. I believe the tubing park will reopen on Friday.

Notice I didn't label this a "trip report" = takes me 5 minutes to get there, not exactly a trip. Full disclosure I worked on Ski School staff over there for years and 2 of my kids taught skiing over there too. My other son was a liftie for a bit. I also live in town and the Goo helps a bit with my tax bill I am sure as one of the town's largest employers. I took a couple more snaps the other day I might have a shot over towards the tubing park. If not I will get some on my next drive by and post for all you curious AZ'ers...

As far as change goes the lower ledges area has been dramatically widened and the rope tow goes up another 50 feet or so..... previously lower ledges was just a small chute and the rope tow only serviced the bunny hill. Again, might have some better pics - I will check.

The website is actually pretty good now too, that is new, it is updated daily.

http://www.yawgoo.com/skiareaconditions.htm

hrstrat57

few pics from 2011

The parking lot view of The Max bar and restaurant, ski rental shop on lower level...

IMG_0400.jpg

Gnarly Goo

IMG_0412.jpg

View from the area of Lower Ledges:

IMG_0413.jpgIMG_0414.jpg

hrstrat57

I keep forgetting about that place. Should go over there for some 1 ski drills.

Yellow Jacket is the king of 1 footed drill awesomeness. Spent countless nights till 10 doing my Lito imitations ha ha!

The steepness is terrifying....(these again are from March 2011)

Upper jacket (right side of image)

IMG_0405.jpg

Middle jacket:

IMG_0404.jpg

2knees

they have an upper and middle on 240 vert? that's awesome!!!