• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You've got a new, nearby contact

A

Anonymous

Greg, and others:
I just registered on your site (found out about it through "Views From the Top".)
I have recently picked up alpine touring skiing, and am glad to know there is someone else in Connecticut that does it. I have been going with my brother, from East Hartford. So far, we've done Moosilauke (Carriage Rd), Greylock (Thunderbolt), and Camel's Hump (Monroe Trail). In fall, 2001 I got all new gear and love it.
Perhaps this coming winter we could all get together and ski. I'm also interested in scoping out some spots that are even more local. My brother thinks there's a spot near Sage's Ravine that's skiable. Also, I'd like to try the Heublein Tower Trail on Talcott Mountain for a quick afternoon jaunt. Of course, Greylock would be the favored local haunt. It was absolutely the best of the three major trails we did. Last winter was pretty frustrating, so looking forward to a hopefully more accomadating season this coming year.
Great site. Hope to discuss lots of topics in future.

B

BC Skier

How was Greylock?

What month did you ski it? What kind of ground conditions?

I have read about it in David Goodman's book and it sounds like a great trip. I met a few people in this forum and others that would like to ski it next year.

So, what did you buy for equiptment? I bought equiptment last year, but there alot of new bindings out this year. I'm thrilled with my boots, Scarpa Lasers. I don't have an opinion about my Hagan skies as I only made it out once on them

I can't wait till the first snow. I know its the first official day of summer and I am surfing boards about skiing. I must be sick or something!

Kevin

C

Charlie

Greylock

I skied the Thunderbolt in late winter 2001, after a very heavy snow season. Conditons were awesome. I was worried about it being overgrown, but that was not a problem. I believe there is an organized trail maintenance day (or at least there was); I would definitely contribute if I knew when it was. Or, perhaps I could just do a little maintenance on my own time. It really is a great ride.
For equipment, I bought Fritschi Diamir Titanal II's. I was very seriously considering the Silvretta 555's since I had 2 bad experiences borrowing my brother's spare pair of older Fritschi's. I think they were a little worn out and also mounted improperly. Kept locking down on each step up Moosilauke...not a very pleasant experience. I got some K2 8611 skis, which I am very happy with. Nice and wide, short, and pretty parabolic.. perfect for short turns, and good surface area on top of the powder (if you can find any). My brother "inherited" some Koflach boots from a friend of his in Switzerland. They're perfect (great price...FREE!); but only have 2 buckles. I fixed that by buying a product called the "Booster Strap" (BoosterStrap.com). It is a very strong elastic buckle that improves upper shin control (kind of like a power strap on a regular ski boot, but stronger and more effective). Only about 30 bucks.
Last year we tried Camel's Hump (per good writeup by David Goodman in his book). Of course, you know how last winter was. There was about 2 feet of snow covered by 1-2 inches of icy crust, with a 12 inch foot trough in the middle of the trail. His description of "skiable glades all the way down" is inaccurate, even in great conditions. Nonetheless, we did manage to ski down about 2/3 of the way, keeping skins ON to check speed (usually stayed right in the beaten foot path trough) !
Well, it's great to have some more contacts in the region. I hope we can all keep in touch this coming winter through this site.
No, you are not sick. I think all of us BC skiers think about it all year long. My brother and I talk about it just about every week.
:beer:

Greg

Staff member
Hey Charlie! Welcome aboard. I'm glad, at least the two of you are finding this forum useful so far. I'm not a BC skier, but may be interested in getting in to it.

Charlie - Interested in becoming a moderator of this forum along with Kevin? Please see this thread for more info.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Greg.
Hope to make some more contacts here. Again, nice to know someone local !
If you are a skier, you'd love backcountry skiing. My brother and I are looking for a third. He's got extra equipment, too !
Moderator ? Well, for now, I'll be checking in frequently. I think if anything offensive or totally inappropriate cropped up, I could always e-mail you or Kevin.
Still using Views from the Top ? I see your name there a lot.
Take it easy,
Charlie

B

BC Skier

Thanks for the additional Info

2001 would have definately been the year two ski backcountry. Actually, it was that year that I got interested and skied in Tuckerman's Ravine. I did not ski the headwall, but learned that the hike and ski down the Sherburn from the base of the Ravine and over Little Headwall is a great trip. I take that over lift served skiing any day.

Next winter outght to be good weather providing. There are alot of newbies to backcountry skiing surfing this forum. I hope they stay connected into next winter.

I'd love to get some informal trips planned with many of the individuals who post here.

Hope to see you all on the trails!

Kevin