• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will you still ski killington?

Will you still ski killington?

• NO! i'm done.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Yes but i'll cut my days in half

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Yes, same as always

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Yes, but only because they opened first, then move on

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

2knees

ok there are obviously a lot of changes happening, not one of which can be perceived as good news. Personally, the only one that pisses me off is the early closing. The rest of it, while head scratching, has little impact on my enjoyment of Killington. so I'll still go, albeit less cause a lot of my days in the last few years have been after other areas closed. but the place still has a draw for me even if I like to beat on it sometimes.

Bottom line, i went 5 days last year. I'd be surprised if i didnt go 3 times this year.

tjf67

I used to go there very ealry in the season and very late in the season.

Never liked it but when it was the only game in town I made the treck.

In mid winter i would never even think to ski there it just does not do it for me.

skiadikt

passholder/ski house shareholder, so yeah i'll be up there. for me the biggest straw is the early close but all of the other stuff from the children's programs price increases to the midweek closing of the lower skyeship, while they don't affect me just continue to chip away at what made k "great". at this point there's little to hang your hat on. i do intend to explore the viability of taking my skiing elsewhere next season. very sad. end of an era.

Greg

Staff member
Haven't skied there much the past few years. Most of the time, it's been early or late, but even those dates still might fall within their scheduled season. I want to go at least once this season just to see how it is.

ctenidae

I chose "Yes, same as always" because I rarely if ever ski there, and will likely continue to not include Killington on my list of possibilities..

RISkier

I've never skied there. It's too far for day trips and we've gone to other mountains for overnight ventures. That said, I certainly won't be planning a trip there anytime soon. Everything the new ownership group has done has been a turn off.

Dr Skimeister

I voted "same as always" because K is not a place I've gone to all that much. I have hit it late season some years, but even that not too often.

I've never really liked K because of my perception of it being a difficult mountain to get around. Perhaps with more visits I'd better figure out the trick to navigating the place.

Last season I chose Pico every time I was up that way.

2knees

since its a hot button topic, maybe the mods could add some options to the poll. I'm actually very curious to see the impact these guys have had on various killington skiers. I would guess people like me, the casual day tripper (although i've been skiing there for 20+ years) are gonna be impacted the least. Property owners and share house holders are probably the most ticked off but kinda roped in for now.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
Haven't been in awhile

First went I hated it because I didn't know how to navigate

Then 1 year I went about 20 times and learned to like it, except for the gapers

Then the family happened

Now it's time to go back

What changes?

nycskier

Killington has lost me. And I am not alone. A lot of people in my house from last year dont plan on going back.

This will be the 1st time in 3 years that I will not have a house there. I used to ski 20 plus days there every sason and I doubt if I will even do more than a handful there this year.

I think it is terrible what the new management is doing. Raising prices, closing early and offering less terrain.

What they are doing is killing the Killington share house scene, which is a shame. Because that was half the fun of the place

deadheadskier

Staff member
I haven't skied there since just after HS. I would like to ski Pico again someday, but Killington is doubtful. If I'm over that way, the mountains to the north carry FAR greater appeal for me.

MRGisevil

I plan on taking a trip up there when they open, aside from that I've little ambition to spend a lot of time up there.

PA Ridge Racer

What's the point if they're closing early? If traveling 4 - 5 hours, I have other Mts. that I need to hit that I have not yet that are within the same drive time or less (Magic and Whiteface are 2 right off the bat) so I probably won't be returning for a while. I like K but I have a feeling I'm going to like some oher Mts. a whole lot better and if they close with or before others...again what's the point. I regret not spending a little time at Pico. I do want to hit Pico one of these seasons.

Greg

Staff member

rachelv

Website
www.mountainreviews.com
Killington has lost me. And I am not alone. A lot of people in my house from last year dont plan on going back.

Just curious as to where you're planning on doing most of your skiing instead. For us, the bottom line is -- draw a ~4-hr drive circle around NYC, and Killington is pretty much the best skiing you can get. That might change this year, but we're at least going to give them a shot. If Mt. Snow lives up to the snowmaking hype we'll do our early season skiing there, but they just don't have enough terrain to keep us occupied every weekend all winter.