• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

old guys setting PRs for ski days

drjeff

I've never had a "bad" day out on the mountain.. Some days I am just out there longer than others and some days the snow and weather conditions are better than others. Can't stand not to be at a ski area and not skiing that day, and I can truthfully say that in the 10 years or so, and probably 200 or so race days for my kids, that I have never not skied on one of their race days, and not alot of ski racer parents can say that, as I am sure BigO can attest to. I just love being on my skis sliding down a hill, even if it's only for a few runs on some sketchy snow

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't mind crap snow so much. By crappy conditions I mean rain, pea soup fog, high winds, -20 temps etc. I'm not bothering those days any more.

Smellytele

Ski shitty conditions...get better at dealing with them...because they can pop up anywhere on the mt. It's like moguls...only way to get better at them is to ski them...
Total sheet ice though...nah...
Trust me I have skied more shitty days than I care to say. Usually it is when I have been tricked by weather reports (non resort reports as I wouldn’t trust those anyway) and trail reports. Also if on vacation and already prepaid.

crank

Days I stay home for:

Rain, bulletproof, high winds.

I think all of us in this thread have skied enough snow that is good for you that we can ski crap and sketch... We just don't want to or need to anymore.

And the on vacation exclusion, a few years back we skied in high winds and terrible visibility while on a trip to Val D'isere. It was pretty crazy. They closed the entire ski area early even though we mostly rode the funitel. So I will definitely think twice before voluntarily heading out in those conditions again.

Kingslug20

Exactly my trip to Val disere...3 days icy groomers...2 days insane snowstorm 60 moh winds...
Couldn't wait to get home.

Andrew B.

Exactly my trip to Val disere...3 days icy groomers...2 days insane snowstorm 60 moh winds...
Couldn't wait to get home.
I guess we hit Val right, 2020 as Covid hit. They closed the week after we left.

3.5’ of snow with white out the first day and skied some great trees down low. Then 4 days blue bird. Last day rain drove us off. My legs were toast anyway

Kingslug20

The shape the guides are in...some of them in their 60s or more is incredible...
The food doesn't have all the crap in it like ours does....

Hawk

I'm different about conditons and when I go out. Living on the mountain makes it real easy to go out no matter what. Even if it is real nasty we go out for a few runs. The fresh air and stretching your legs makes you feel better and energizes you for other things. I also feel lazy and a little more stressed if I don't get out. I always say to my wife, "let go scrape around for a few runs". sometimes it's exactly that.

teleo

I'm like Hawk on getting out. I go stir crazy in the condo. But being at the mountain it's as easy to go skiing as going for a walk. I'd rather slide. Turns out, even on bad days, you can often find an hour or 2 or a trail or 2 with decent conditions if you pay attention to the radar. I draw a hard line at heading out when rain is coming down hard or days that don't get up to -10.

Kingslug20

The woods where very steep...not even sure where exactly we ended up....but to get out of the woods was pretty sketchy.
Up top it was avalanches and no vis..

crank

At Val d' our first day was scratchy, day 2 was the insane storm skiing day with on piste guide. Good thing because we would have been completely lost in the white out. Day 3 was 3' of heavy snow with some trees and some areas we had skied earlier closed with big avalanches. found some nice somewhat steepish trees down low to ski. We got bogged down on some lower angle stuff up high early in the day and me and another guy took turns breaking trail for our group to get to where we could actually ski down. I ventured off trail into this little bowl and cutting the top I set off some slabbing so right back on the piste pour moi! Day 4 we had an off piste guide and he found us some fun stuff and snow that was skiable. 5 and 6 were sunny and good snow too.

jimk

This friend will turn 69 in April. Tremendous telemarker and super fit. Another friggin great pow day in UT, this from Solitude 30 March 2023:

dan tree 30 march.jpg

dan pow 31 memorial 30 march.jpg

dan tree mem 30 march.jpg

BTW, this guy had to take about 10 days off around 1st of March. Sore back from too many super active powder days at Solitude this winter. But he's back skiing strong and aggressively now.

Last edited: