• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2008 Ski Swaps

gmcunni

never been to a ski swap. if the owner sets the price does that mean there is no negotiating in the sale? i assume the owner's don't hang around their gear the whole time.

o3jeff

never been to a ski swap. if the owner sets the price does that mean there is no negotiating in the sale? i assume the owner's don't hang around their gear the whole time.

That's correct.

I dropped some stuff off today and put on the tag the price I wanted. I go back next week and either I pick up the equipment if it didn't sell or they give me 80% of the selling price. No haggling.

Hawkshot99

Yea the term "swap" is not very good for the sales. We always have several people who get confused and think they are going to just swap out there old skis for brand new ones.

trtaylor

Any guidelines on setting the price for an older (2004) pair of Head IC 160's? I'm taking mine to the Langhorne tent sale this weekend. Any of you shop guys have any advice on how to price them? They are in excellent shape and known as a very good intermediate ski. But, 4 years old, too. I want them to sell. Or more accurately, my wife wants them to sell :)

Looked some on eBay and I am guessing somewhere around $85? Is this close?

Thanks.

Euler

Wilmington, VT - Just down the road from Mount Snow:

Ski and Skate Sale @ Twin Valley High School
11/08/2008
On November 8 the Deerfield Valley Rotary Club will sponsor a Ski and Skate Sale at the Twin Valley High School in Wilmington, VT.

o3jeff

How does the Sundown swap work? I know with Southington you drop off you stuff the Wednesday before and then you pick up the money or your stuff the following Wednesday.

Looking at Sundowns site you bring your stuff at the start of the swap and anytime during it and need to pick it up by the end of the swap Sunday. Kinda sounds like it will be mass confusion with people dropping off and shopping for stuff.

Did I miss read it or is that how it works?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
How does the Sundown swap work? I know with Southington you drop off you stuff the Wednesday before and then you pick up the money or your stuff the following Wednesday.

Looking at Sundowns site you bring your stuff at the start of the swap and anytime during it and need to pick it up by the end of the swap Sunday. Kinda sounds like it will be mass confusion with people dropping off and shopping for stuff.

Did I miss read it or is that how it works?
That's pretty much it. Last year when we dropped stuff off, I think it was in the middle of the day Saturday. The next day, we were able to collect because our stuff was sold already. It's actually kind of nice that stock is constantly replenishing. I will definitely be bringing 2 pairs of skis and my old boots... I think Brian's old boots are going this year, too. Last time, my skis were added on a whim and I didn't mind if they didn't sell... this time, I don't want to bring anything home. It's all getting dropped off as early as possible on Friday.

Greg

Staff member
That's pretty much it. Last year when we dropped stuff off, I think it was in the middle of the day Saturday. The next day, we were able to collect because our stuff was sold already. It's actually kind of nice that stock is constantly replenishing. I will definitely be bringing 2 pairs of skis and my old boots... I think Brian's old boots are going this year, too. Last time, my skis were added on a whim and I didn't mind if they didn't sell... this time, I don't want to bring anything home. It's all getting dropped off as early as possible on Friday.

I'm dropping some stuff off as well on that Friday afternoon.

hammer

Nashua Exchange Club
Nashua High School - South
Friday, Nov 28, 2008 through Sunday, Nov 30, 2008
Drop-offs taken Wednesday, Nov 26.

http://www.nashuaexchangeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=35099&module_id=22441

Last year they had Zimmerman's selling new stuff as well. Not sure if that will be the case this year.

I've sold a number of items there...there's a nominal per-item charge for dropping stuff off and the Exchange Club takes 20% off of the sale price.

SkiDork

Killington accomodates negotiating a bit. The way it work is, the seller gives an asking and a bottom line price. Only on Sunday is the bottom line price available. Fri night and Saturday its only asking price.

trtaylor

Any guidelines on setting the price for an older (2004) pair of Head IC 160's? I'm taking mine to the Langhorne tent sale this weekend. Any of you shop guys have any advice on how to price them? They are in excellent shape and known as a very good intermediate ski. But, 4 years old, too. I want them to sell. Or more accurately, my wife wants them to sell :)

Looked some on eBay and I am guessing somewhere around $85? Is this close?

Thanks.
Just got back from Langhorne's ski swap. Picked up a nice pair of TNF gloves. Standing right in front of me in the checkout line was a lady holding my skis. I priced them at $95 and they were gone in the first hour. Cool.

She said this was her first pair of shaped skis. I told her she choose well and that they were already waxed and tuned. Good karma, huh?

tcharron

My apologies for not having this thread up to date. Later today I'll update all of the dates, and add some more for November.

Greg

Staff member
Sundown Swap

Anyone else dropping stuff off at Sundown on Friday? I'll probably be there around 4:30 to pick up our passes too.

o3jeff

Anyone else dropping stuff off at Sundown on Friday? I'll probably be there around 4:30 to pick up our passes too.

I should be there 4:30-5:00 to drop off some boots and to also pic up my pass if they are doing them.

Greg

Staff member
I should be there 4:30-5:00 to drop off some boots and to also pic up my pass if they are doing them.

I called. The welcome center will have extended hours (till 8, I think) for passes, etc.

gmcunni

i might go up friday night to grab my pass too, can't hurt to shop a bit. i'd be tempted pick up pass on Saturday late morning if there happened to be a MTB ride going on earlier in the day ;-)