• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any roadies thinking about trying MTB, or vice versa?

Greg

Staff member
Strictly MTB here and no plans to try the road. There's an "adventure" aspect to MTB that I just really like, plus I just like being in the woods. I guess road riding is nice in that there are endless options and you can do it right from your house, but I don't think it will "do it for me". As weird as it sounds, I think MTB might be safer, at least around here. :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
I do eventually want to get into road biking. I like to ride fast, and the exercise would be good too. I doubt I'll have the funds to get into it any time too soon though...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
As one who road a hardtail mtb with slicks on the road quite a bit... I'd still urge MTB'ers not to blindly dismiss road riding without trying it.

Road riding was more to get places before my road bike.

Then I started riding on my road bike, and let me say, there isn't much that can compare to the speed and acceleration possible on the road bike geometry, and the fact you run 120 psi super skinny slicks and the bike itself only weighs about 15 lbs. I out accelerate cars on a regular basis right through an intersection.

Also, once you get into longer range road riding, being 50 miles from home on nothing but your leg powered machine, especially in an area with which you're not terribly familiar, it feels pretty adventure-like. Speaking from both sides of the bike spectrum.

As far as safety goes... I'd agree that in a group, mtb'ing is generally safer. But I go out on the road alone all the time, and hesitate to go out in the woods alone, simply because if I did hurt myself... who knows how long it'd be before someone found me out in the woods.

Greg

Staff member
As one who road a hardtail mtb with slicks on the road quite a bit... I'd still urge MTB'ers not to blindly dismiss road riding without trying it.

Road riding was more to get places before my road bike.

Then I started riding on my road bike, and let me say, there isn't much that can compare to the speed and acceleration possible on the road bike geometry, and the fact you run 120 psi super skinny slicks and the bike itself only weighs about 15 lbs. I out accelerate cars on a regular basis right through an intersection.

Also, once you get into longer range road riding, being 50 miles from home on nothing but your leg powered machine, especially in an area with which you're not terribly familiar, it feels pretty adventure-like. Speaking from both sides of the bike spectrum.

As far as safety goes... I'd agree that in a group, mtb'ing is generally safer. But I go out on the road alone all the time, and hesitate to go out in the woods alone, simply because if I did hurt myself... who knows how long it'd be before someone found me out in the woods.

All very interesting points and a neat perspective. I have to imagine that a well-set up road bike must fly. Would like to try one someday, but for now I'm just having fun in the woods.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If I can get myself back on track with the tri-training, I WILL be doing some road biking. I've been pretty derailed from the plan though and I'm not sure I really have enough time to train now.

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
I wouldn't consider myself a roadie, but I do ride on the roads as bike commuter. Only, I will only ride this way on a single speed or fixed gear. I have seen 30+ mph down a hill and the through of hitting a bump and doing the Evil Kinevil down the road at that speed doesn't seem all that appealing.

Buddy of mine and tried and true roadie got T-Boned by deer in Southbury at 40+ mph and was in the hospital for a couple of weeks.

bvibert

Staff member
I've had mine up to just shy of 60 mph.

That sounds a little too fast for me.

Gremf said:
I wouldn't consider myself a roadie, but I do ride on the roads as bike commuter.

I'd like to be able to commute to work via bike, but there's no way that I'm in good enough shape to do it now. I work about 17 miles away, but there's some REALLY big hills in both directions that are the real determent. That, and the roads are pretty busy and not especially wide in spots where people are doing 60+.

mlctvt

Yes both for both my wife and I, although both of us prefer road riding.

I’ve been primarily a roady from the time I bought my first road bike as a 13 year old in 1975. I rode through college and got my wife into biking when we met in the mid 80s. In the early 90s we bought mountain bikes to stay in shape in winter when we couldn’t cross country ski. Since the early 90s we've ridden our road bikes between 3000 and 5000 miles per year but the most we’ve ever done on the MTBs was probably 500-600 miles per year. I started getting into technical single track but my wife hated it because of the chance for injuries. She still likes double track on a dirt road or single track non-technical trails through the woods. We did take some incredible camping trips and brought the MTBs along. Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Moab Utah, Arches National park, Capital Reef National park. Incredible mountain biking out west!

Lately the mountain bikes are left hanging in the basement while the miles pile up on the road bikes. This is fine with me.
We are lucky to live in an area where we can ride right from home. Many bike clubs from around the state meet in our area for weekend road rides.

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
I'd like to be able to commute to work via bike, but there's no way that I'm in good enough shape to do it now. I work about 17 miles away, but there's some REALLY big hills in both directions that are the real determent. That, and the roads are pretty busy and not especially wide in spots where people are doing 60+.

That's why I stick to all back roads. Sometimes I will take a numbered route if I want more distance but I am always a little uneasy, especially by the knuckleheads who have no clue about the 3 foot rule.

mondeo

I'll probably pick up a MTB next year, just isn't in the cards this year.

I do love the road bike though. Just so nimble, and I can cruise fairly easily at 20 mph on the flats. Hit 45 downhill. Plus on the long weekend rides I can get a good ways out into the rural parts of CT, nice break from central CT. And I don't have to drive to do it.

When I do buy a house, there's a decent chance it'll be close enough to the West Hartford reservoir to ride there and back. Looking forward to it.

As someone who would probably enjoy MTB more than roads, I'd suggest the MTBrs check out a road bike, even just a test ride. You might be surprised how much you enjoy it.

bvibert

Staff member
That's why I stick to all back roads. Sometimes I will take a numbered route if I want more distance but I am always a little uneasy, especially by the knuckleheads who have no clue about the 3 foot rule.

I've figured out a route that would enable me to make part of my ride on back roads, some of them dirt, but there's sections that would have to be on numbered routes. The back roads route adds considerable distance to the ride as well.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I have no real interest in road biking. Jersey drivers don't respect cyclests at all. Last year, I was riding around town after work one day. I'm wearing a DOT safety vest, 2 1W LED headlamps, 1 1.5W LED strobe up front and a 1W LED flashing rear red light.

Some douche bag pulls a California Stop and nearly takes me out. I had my foot on his bumper. How I didn't crash is beyond me. That spooked me pretty good on riding around dusk.

I my office is about 4 miles from my house. One of my goals this summer is to ride into work, but the ride home is all up hill. That's gonna suck.

mondeo

I've figured out a route that would enable me to make part of my ride on back roads, some of them dirt, but there's sections that would have to be on numbered routes. The back roads route adds considerable distance to the ride as well.
Dirt/gravel/stone/etc. and road bikes don't mix. I'd rather ride with traffic than on dirt.

mondeo

One more thing for MTBers to think about: I'm betting that MTBing in 90 degree weather is crazy hot. Upper 80s and 90s, a road bike is cooler than even just sitting in the shade. Comfortable, even. Likewise, MTB is probably more comfortable in cooler weather.

Greg

Staff member
One more thing for MTBers to think about: I'm betting that MTBing in 90 degree weather is crazy hot.

It is, but as long as you're extremely well-hydrated and don't mind sweating, it's tolerable. I rode on a evening in the high 80's last year in Sessions Woods in Burlington which is notoriously humid and it was sorta was like riding in a rain forest. You skin feels hot and you're basically saturated with sweat, but it's kinda fun and better than sitting around, I guess. The beers taste great after too.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I just bought a road bike. I like the idea of just being able to walk outside and get going. It's hard to imagine buying a mountain bike, loading it up on my car, driving to someplace, riding around, putting it back on my car, driving home, and taking it back off my car to put in the garage. If I was gong to do that, then I might as well get a kayak and drive to a river instead of a mountain - now THAT sounds like fun.

Warp Daddy

Dirt/gravel/stone/etc. and road bikes don't mix. I'd rather ride with traffic than on dirt.

True when i ride its with traffic, but i'm very fortunate there are several bike friendly side roads along the St Lawrence River and about a mile inland there are quite a few good roads that are mostly untraveled 'cept for people who live on them . But OUT THERE the biggest hassle is GUARD DOGS !

mondeo

True when i ride its with traffic, but i'm very fortunate there are several bike friendly side roads along the St Lawrence River and about a mile inland there are quite a few good roads that are mostly untraveled 'cept for people who live on them . But OUT THERE the biggest hassle is GUARD DOGS !
Rt 11 qualifies as a bike friendly side road compared to some of the roads I ride on.