• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Typical cost for seasonal kid's group lessons?

BenedictGomez

Curious what the typical annual cost is for kid's group lessons? I'm not counting equipment, just a "ski season" program where your kid goes every Saturday or Sunday for like a 2hr or 3hr group session. When I worked at Stowe Ski School in the Jurassic Period, we had those & I know they're popular at Smuggs & other places, etc..

One would think this would be a simple question to Google, but most resorts websites have scrubbed this info now that the season's over, or don't even list it to begin with, and I cant think of a better place to ask this question since so many of the regulars here either have or recently had kids in exactly this scenario. The problem I'm finding is everything posted online seems to be, "I brought my kid on vacation & gave them a 1 day 6 hour lesson for $250". I imagine (am hoping?) there must be a cheaper offering for an all-year and/or locals sort of arrangement?

I took the (net) advice of this board last season & didn't start my kiddo in lessons at age 3 as the majority here, with IMHO sound reason & even multiple PSIA experience, thought 4 was a better starting age, but that is now going to be upon me, so I'm trying to prepare & I'm looking for something once-a-week for the entire season.

Last edited:

djd66

Sugarbush has the Blazer program. Both my kids went through it and had a great experience. Just note,... its more about kids skiing with kids and making life long friends than it is about lessons and technique. Blazer meets Sat & Sunday 9-3:00 from Jan through the end of March. I think its about $1200 for the season?

AdironRider

This is where small Indy places really shine. You will find several 8-10 week programmatic options in the couple hundred dollar range. The Dartmouth Skiways of the world really crush it in this regard.

thebigo

You do not tell us where you live.

Have two kids, one six, the other ten; both excellent skiers. Ten year old started seasonal programs at the age of five, crotched was full Sundays for around $500 if my memory is any good. Maybe 12 weeks? Add on a couple hundred for end of the season coaches tip.

Six year old did a u8 program at ragged last year. Maybe $750? Was a full day, full season program, Saturdays only with an actual coach and race at the end. Ratio was four kids per coach - excellent youth program.

1dog

Blazers ( this year) was $2400 9:30-2PM not counting Ikon or Bush pass. When my youngest started 5 years ago it was less than half that if I recall.

Some friends of ours are coaches - great techniques and better friendships/bonding- youngest has same group for last 4 years.

parahelia

We do the River Runners program at Sunday River. It runs 33 days a year, early Dec-late March, all weekends plus some holidays. 8:45-1 each day.

Prices have gone up quite a bit since COVID, but it sells out every year. It’s up to $1800/yr (pass not included), which is still a steal on a per day basis compared to daily lessons. There are also race programs through Gould Academy for slightly more.

Our kids have become amazing skiers through the program. Even better, they have friends they look forward to seeing every weekend. It definitely helps with their motivation to get out of town every Friday afternoon.

I nearly have an aneurysm each year when we buy the season passes and programs at the same time….but then we have an entire winter of fun for less than an average family ski vacation flying out west.

ctdubl07

A few of my kids have been in Mt Snows "Mtn Camp" for years while others did Comp/Devo. This was last year as they age out at 14 but it is a "full" season program.

Previous under Peaks it was truly daily which, from a value and experience perspective, was just awesome. My kids loves it and thrived and I believe it created a regular community.
Vail it changed to weekends only but does not include holidays so its really parred down, bigly. You could almost get to the point where you hardly break even vs scheduling and paying for targeted daily visits. Its obvious Vail wants nothing to do with the program

I believe cost this past year was $2800. Runs 9:30-3 with a decent lunch.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Mad River Glen 12 week program either Saturday or Sunday ran $635. It will increase slightly next year. Add lunch for another $175.

drjeff

The one thing that I have noticed about seasonal kids programs, regardless of what mountain they are at, is that while you do hear griping ahead of time about the costs, you rarely hear griping after the seasonal program finishes for the year that one's kids had a bad time and didn't get anything out of it.

So many of the instructors have the ability to not just improve the skillset of the kids in their seasonal groups, but also help socially connect the group together, which then certainly can help each kid in the group wanting to go back each week

drjeff

A few of my kids have been in Mt Snows "Mtn Camp" for years while others did Comp/Devo. This was last year as they age out at 14 but it is a "full" season program.

Previous under Peaks it was truly daily which, from a value and experience perspective, was just awesome. My kids loves it and thrived and I believe it created a regular community.
Vail it changed to weekends only but does not include holidays so its really parred down, bigly. You could almost get to the point where you hardly break even vs scheduling and paying for targeted daily visits. Its obvious Vail wants nothing to do with the program

I believe cost this past year was $2800. Runs 9:30-3 with a decent lunch.
One thing to consider, if your kids have aged out of Devo, and like the program aspect, and may even want to consider becoming an instructor or competition program coach in the future, the mountain, or more accurately the training center staff, started a formal season long program this past season for kids just like that (aged out of Devo, or grew tired of race/competition programs but have interest in possibly becoming an instructor) called the CIT (Coach in training program).

My own son was one of trial batch of kids who were part of it 2 seasons ago before it become a formal program last season, and he was involved as an assistant to a Devo coach 2 seasons ago, liked it so much, and the coaching staff at the training center had an idea for him, and he functioned as an assiatant to the head U10 race coaches this past season. At the end of this past season, he took, and passed his USSSA level 100 alpine coaches exam, and depending on how is Freshman year of college schedule works out, is likley going to be an assistant age level coach for the alpine comp team this coming Winter. I believe there were 6 or 7 young adults who came through the various seasonal programs the mountain offers who at the end of this past season took, and passed either their PSIA level 1 or USSSA level 100 exams, and now (or when they reach age 17) will be able to work as a coach for the mountain, get paid for working, and get the various benefits that Vail offers its employees (free passes, discounted "dependent" passes, food discounts, clothing and gear discounts, etc)

I also had one of my friend's daughter be a part of the CIT program this past Winter and she loved it. She wasn't able to finish the entire season as she blew her knee out mid season while free skiing one day. Additionally, one of the head CIT coaches, is a very good friend of mine, a PSIA level 3 instructor, who really enjoys the "zen of skiing" as he refers to it, and I can attest has personally helped every member of my family advance our skiing skills when we free ski with him and his family (his kids are roughly the same age as my kids, and have been in the Mount Snow youth programs together for heading on 10yrs now, and our wives regularly ski together most every weekend their at the mountain.

If your kids have any interest in that possible opportunity, the mountain has a program in place to help indentify and develop the next era of instructors and coaches

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Gunstock is $350 for 4-6 year olds and $410 for 7 and up for standard Devo and $420 for race.

It's 8 weeks and 2 hours per each session. I'm extremely pleased with the programs and the progress my kids make attending them. I love that it's just two hours vs most of the day or in some cases the whole weekend; depending on the mountain. We do the 9-11 sessions on Sundays and it works great for us. Meet at lunch and ski as a family for the afternoon. Saturdays we ski elsewhere on Indy.

I would have absolutely zero interest in the full weekend programs many mountains offer after experiencing the Gunstock program. There isn't a mountain in the East I want to be tied to every single Saturday and Sunday plus vacation weeks. Screw that boredom. I did offer the full race experience to my son and he quickly declined when he realized he'd be stuck at the same mountain most every weekend except for race days.

Like numerous kids athletic programs, I think the time commitment most push is ridiculous and leads to lack of balance. Thank the Lord our kids didn't pick up hockey.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The one thing that I have noticed about seasonal kids programs, regardless of what mountain they are at, is that while you do hear griping ahead of time about the costs, you rarely hear griping after the seasonal program finishes for the year that one's kids had a bad time and didn't get anything out of it.

So many of the instructors have the ability to not just improve the skillset of the kids in their seasonal groups, but also help socially connect the group together, which then certainly can help each kid in the group wanting to go back each week

1000%. I love coaching seasonal groups. In a profession where you rarely get the privilege of knowing exactly what you're walking into any given day, having "known quantities" is a blast and lets the group do more/explore more than you could ever dream of taking daily lesson kids.

Now you have me salivating over my assignments for next season already! Should be another high blue/low black pre-teen group and I am head coach for our smaller pre-teen green/low blue program.

ctdubl07

Agree about multiple options which is nice. Folks over at MS Sn camp have had eyes on my daughter for years. She finally worked there this past winter after turning 16 and loved it. Will be back next season and will incorporate PSA1 as part of season objective. That setting for more suited to her than Comp programs. (she just got her ARC LG certification and will work at a local club for summer) As soon as someone put a $50 tip in her hand, she got it...work=rewards.
Boys will be in odd gap year as 14/15 yr olds and Vail does not allow them to work outside "on Mtn" so Im going to leave it up to them if they just want to chill and hot lap carinthia for the season before they go same route as sister whence they turn 16.
(sorry to get this thread of track)

Hawk

Reading all this back and forth just makes me not regret we didn't have kids. LOL Or a dog. or a cat. fish........

Hawk

Whoa, That deep.

I guess I can't relate. Our life choices for the most part just happened and were pretty easy. I make a choice and stick with it. No twisting. Not allowed. Good luck I guess.

I have to say one thing though. I played hockey and was not allowed to ski until after my college career ended. If you truely want to be really great at something, you have to commit to that disapline 100% and not get distracted. The programs I entered into made this an up front commitment. I fully agree with this sentiment. If not I would have played club hockey or pond hockey. I am not a fan of telling younger people that it is OK to be half ass. It just breads complacency and not greatness. There is too much metals for all kids going on today.

parahelia

My kids were not allowed to play basketball or Hockey :LOL:
This is the way. As an every-weekend ski family, those winter sports are off limits for us, too. If they want to ski for their HS team (weekday practice/meets) when old enough, we can make an exception. My kids are really into softball, which is perfect - ski through mid/late April, then the season begins.

On the coaching front - Sunday River also has a program for 14-16-year-olds called Junior Professionals. It adds in some coach training along with the development angle of the traditional seasonal program. They can then become coaches for River Runners (and some start to pick up PSIA certification in the process). My oldest is starting that this year and loves the idea of coaching and earning $$ on weekends in future years. As a parent, it sounds great - a weekend job that lets us keep skiing, and one less pass to pay for.

urungus

The programs I entered into made this an up front commitment. I fully agree with this sentiment. If not I would have played club hockey or pond hockey. I am not a fan of telling younger people that it is OK to be half ass. It just breads complacency and not greatness.
So people who play pond hockey are half-assed lazy losers ? SMH

Hawk

That's clearly not what I was trying to say. Maybe it came out wrong. If your kid wants to play Hockey or some other competitive sport. Measure thier interest and ablility to grow and put them in the right place. Understand the program, so when the coach says no skiing you and your kids don't get pissed.