• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 24 Hour GSS Bitch Fest Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorgonzola

oh man this is some funny shit.
i'm no fan of the grilled-he's really not that steezy-cheezy either on the net or on the hill, but i think you guys really are missing the big picture

drjeff

I have been keeping quiet through this and keep my opinion to myself. Spending 10 years + in moderating both at Epic and other forums, I can assure you banning a member is is never taken lightly and is always well discussed and is truly the last resort.

GSS hangs out as PASR, if you want to chat with him I am sure you are welcome to head over there. But to keep complaining about it here is unfair and disrespectful to the site owners here. If you don't like the guidelines set up, you are welcome to start your own forum.

+1

dmc

22:00 update - FREE GSS HQ

22:00 update - FREE GSS HQ

deadheadskier

Staff member
haha... hardly.. It is lame... imho... but who really cares in the grand scheme of things...

you do dude

along with HUGE pictures that clog up your precious iphone screen. :razz:

dou........ooops won't go there either.

Ya'll want freedom of speech, freedom of expression, say people get overly sensitive, the mods are too uptight, but the moment one person says the p-word, you threaten law suits and calling the ACLU....chill

Paul said it best

These.

I think everyone needs to step back and get a little perspective.

I keep seeing a lot of "It's Greg's site, he can do what he wants" True, however it may bear mentioning that AlpineZone.com is a lot more than just a discussion forum.Keep in mind there's a whole site with information, news feeds, ski area descriptions etc... (Just erase the /forums from the url, lotsa good stuff there) There's also a rather impressive number of hooks into the New England ski industry in general. The AZ ski area challenge is a really useful and interesting service that requires the buy-in from the industry folks.
Think of AZ as less of Greg's personal sandbox that he let's people play in, and more of a business. Its a business at least partially sustained by advertising. How many businesses allow employees and customers to hang-around on their sales floor in their underwear telling dirty jokes, drinking, smoking, whatever? The reason for the moderation to a PG-13 level is at least in part to make the site appealing not only to folks of all ages (I've already told my 9-year-old that I will not allow her to join, just yet) but also to these same ski area professionals who take the time to participate in the AZ challenge (and other things as well, how many of you have chatted with Win Smith here?)
Imagine you need a new car, and walk into Campgottagopee's dealership. The salesmen are crude and occasionally offensive to many. There's a free-for-all atmosphere, and a lack of professional courtesy. Are you going to buy a car there, or maybe shop around some more?
Now, the noshitchat is like the employee lounge, it keeps the crudity off of the sales floor, and puts it in the back room where it belongs. Funny thing about internet forums, especially regional ones, is that people with similar interests meet and get to know one-another. In many cases real friendships are formed. A result of this is that certain "boundaries" can be expanded a bit. A little stone-busting here and there... And some of us just want to be able to socialize without the filter once in awhile. That's really the point of Andy's site (despite the catalyst of its creation, I'm sure the kernel was there for awhile) It is really not meant to be counter to AZ, but complimentary. It's that "back room" where AZers (and others) can go to vent, blow-off steam, yell, rant, rave, talk politics, curse, get annoyed by the real OSME and call 2knees an asshole. It keeps the seedier element out of AZ allowing it to still be the main resource for NE outdoor sports information and discussion.

it really is that simple.

Greg

Staff member
Dude... We're just havin fun... You got to get the joke..

You and Moe Ghoul maybe, but when someone suggests complaining to this site's sponsors, I think that's pretty uncool.

Nonetheless, I chuckled at the vids...

I have said it before, if steeze was/is such a nuisance than also permanately delete all of his post/threads, etc... and then use that data when speaking with sponsors. I bet that the amount of posts he generated would be detrimental when sharing information with prospects. Thats all I have on the subject.

What exactly are you saying?

dmc

you do dude

along with HUGE pictures that clog up your precious iphone screen. :razz:

dou........ooops won't go there either.

Ya'll want freedom of speech, freedom of expression, say people get overly sensitive, the mods are too uptight, but the moment one person says the p-word, you threaten law suits and calling the ACLU....chill

Paul said it best

it really is that simple.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a hypocrite..
But you know... a lame +1 doesn't keep me from viewing AZ like a HiRes image... So I stand by my statement.. For real... there's a difference..

Moderators in my opinion - should not only moderate questionable things said but also things that may be technically wrong or maybe could be done more correctly...

As for the other thing... Thats way too long for me to read... sorry...

And it's never quite that simple... If it were - we wouldn't be arguing if something is a joke or not...

just sayin... :)

dmc

You and Moe Ghoul maybe, but when someone suggests complaining to this site's sponsors, I think that's pretty uncool.

Going after sponsors is totally unacceptable.. I would've wailed if I saw that.. But I miss a lot of stuff...

the videos are my way to diffuse the situation by adding levity... No more - no less... i know you aren't going to let GSS back...

Next update tomorrow...

gladerider

my 2 cents.

i see a lot of new folks on this board each year. although i don't post as much as some folks here, i've been on this board for sometime. in fact, i've been a longtime lurker before joining, so i think i've seen this board since its ealier days. so, in short, i do remember how things were around here before GSS.

i joined this board for 3 reasons:
- share information on common interest: snow sports
- awesome trip reports
- nice people answering your questions

many folks on this board have deep local (NE) knowledge. the site was sometimes dry, but i was glad such a site existed. some CT folks on this board can be clicky, but that never bothered me.

then GSS came along, and i don't think i need to say anything there. i will say one thing though, the non-ski related threads increased, IMHO. some were entertaining, some were not. but, that never bothered me either. i don't think his presence changed the value of this site, at least for me.

i spend many hours reading college football boards. i'm a rutgers football fan. i see many people get banned there as well. but normally people don't complain. why, because the core membership do not want to tolerate trolls who post irresponsibly which can ultimately hurt their team (unlike NFL, college football boards influence recruits).

i undertand that this site is not about supporting a team, but the point is this. this site has a good value proposition to its members (customers) and it is up to greg and his mods (management team) to decide how they want to preserve or change the value.

i just have one question to the management team? does GSS's presence change the value of this site? it certainly will not change for me. if anything, i will enjoy his trip reports from Jackson Hole if he were to be allowed back. either way, i support your decision since this site's value hasn't changed for me.

dmc

Umm wouldn't that be 0??? -1 DMC math skills

The first guy that said it is technically #1 then the +1 guy is #2 .... i come in and throw down a -1 and it knocks it back to 1.....

Your just lucky I didn't throw down a -2

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Serious question: Will the metioning of GSS in Trip Reports be ok?

Other that that, I picked the wrong night for the speakers on my desktop die. I might just have to head into the office and bring my laptop home if I can't get it to work.

ccskier

What exactly are you saying?

I am saying that sponsors will ask for activity logs/data of post counts, hits, etc... It is probably safe to say that GSS has made this site look pretty good and has helped in the fund raising though his post counts. It is a business, they probably don't care about the content, but look at the data. That all.

Status
Not open for further replies.