• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how do you wine folks pick bottles?

Website
maps.google.com
me? i do it by the label & the name:lol::lol: today i bought two types of Cupcakes & the other i just liked the design of the label:grin::grin:i did the same thing with stocks:grin::grin: if i liked the product or the names of any of the sr level execs i would buy....did no analysis at all & did pretty good....hey dont forget i won the prestigous Mister Finance award in 1982 at my beloved alma mommy www.iup.edu:lol::lol:

2909004621_8eec73b2ac.jpg

Paul

Beloved

Main Entry: beloved
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: adored
Synonyms: admired, cared for, cherished, darling, dear, dearest, doted on, endeared, esteemed, fair-haired, favorite, hallowed, highly regarded, highly valued, idolized, loved, near to one's heart, pet*, pleasing, popular, precious, prized, respected, revered, sweet, treasured, venerated, well-liked, worshiped

Website
maps.google.com
Beloved

Synonyms: admired, cared for, cherished, darling, dear, dearest, doted on, endeared, esteemed, fair-haired, favorite, hallowed, highly regarded, highly valued, idolized, loved, near to one's heart, pet*, pleasing, popular, precious, prized, respected, revered, sweet, treasured, venerated, well-liked, worshiped

i thought u were banned? all those adjectives describe my handsome self!!:argue::argue:

Beloved

by the purty pictures on de label

Website
maps.google.com
Beloved

i eliminated 23 gigs of pics & vids on my hard drive over 5 years....took me almost two days....must have done 15-20 disk cleanups & defrags....

Glenn

i eliminated 23 gigs of pics & vids on my hard drive over 5 years....took me almost two days....must have done 15-20 disk cleanups & defrags....

Maybe you'll have some time to clean up that signature of yours. It puts the Encyclopedia Britannica to shame.....

13.jpg

Website
maps.google.com
Maybe you'll have some time to clean up that signature of yours. It puts the Encyclopedia Britannica to shame.....

13.jpg

Murder, Inc. (or Murder Incorporated or the Brownsville Boys) was the name given by the press to organized crime groups in the 1920s through the 1940s that resulted in hundreds of murders on behalf of the US mafia and their Jewish counterparts[citation needed] who together formed the early organised crime groups in New York and elsewhere. The name was a journalistic invention. In his biography The Valachi Papers, Mafia turncoat Joseph Valachi insisted Murder Inc did not commit crimes for the Cosa Nostra.

These were the years my beloved grandmother, mother & uncle lived in Brownsville. My beloved mother burst into tears anytime she mentioned her childhood or mother.

ctenidae

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

That's a lie- I don't have a cat.

My ex-girlfirend used to. They'd stare at the pet lizard, who ate mice. We drank a lot of wine then, but it was usually cheap stuff. But then I went to live in a tent in Arizona for a while doing bird research. I drank beer then, and Jameson. The lizard died, and we broke up after I got back, but not before a good friend had a liver transplant that I didn't hear about for a while because I was living in a tent.

Anyway, that's when I moved from Louisiana to Ecuador to Arizona, and then back to North Carolina. My roommate a few years later had a cat, too. She and my dog got along okay, but it was really like Israel vs the Arabs. Neither really wanted to test the other, but when there were skirmishes, they were brief and violent. We didn't drink much wine, because we spent most of our time on safety meetings eating blueberries. I forget the cat's name, but it was something incredibly feminine, which was funny because my roomate was a drummer with blue hair. My other roomate played bass.

EOS

Murder, Inc. (or Murder Incorporated or the Brownsville Boys) was the name given by the press to organized crime groups in the 1920s through the 1940s that resulted in hundreds of murders on behalf of the US mafia and their Jewish counterparts[citation needed] who together formed the early organised crime groups in New York and elsewhere. The name was a journalistic invention. In his biography The Valachi Papers, Mafia turncoat Joseph Valachi insisted Murder Inc did not commit crimes for the Cosa Nostra.

I thought Murder Inc. was a record label owned by Irv Gotti???
________
mac games

Last edited:

Geoff

I hate to digress and talk about wine but....

I've been subscribing to Robert Parker's Wine Advocate newsletter for 20 years. Every year, he publishes an issue with "Great Wine Values". I mostly shop from that list.

For a cheap light red, I tend to buy DuBoeuf flower label Beaujolais. For a medium body inexpensive red, I tend to buy Guigal Cotes du Rhone when it's on sale in New Hampshire. For high end red, I get wine shipped in from Melville in Santa Barbara county. I really like their Pinot Noirs.

With white, I mostly buy west coast sauvignon blanc. Hogue Fume Blanc is fine. Berringer, Mondavi, ... whatever. When I'm spending more, I buy the Kiwi Cloudy Bay. They're the winery that invented the whole New Zealand green/tart sauvignon blanc thing. I don't often drink Chardonnay since the mass market stuff doesn't have enough fruit in it and the really good stuff from places like Kistler or Helen Turley's Marcaissain are now priced outrageously.

I also collect an Alsacian winery called Zind-Humbrecht. Most people don't like late harvest wines but I like to pull a cork once in a while for the dessert course at a dinner party.

legalskier

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

That's a lie- I don't have a cat.

My ex-girlfirend used to. They'd stare at the pet lizard, who ate mice. We drank a lot of wine then, but it was usually cheap stuff. But then I went to live in a tent in Arizona for a while doing bird research. I drank beer then, and Jameson. The lizard died, and we broke up after I got back, but not before a good friend had a liver transplant that I didn't hear about for a while because I was living in a tent.

Anyway, that's when I moved from Louisiana to Ecuador to Arizona, and then back to North Carolina. My roommate a few years later had a cat, too. She and my dog got along okay, but it was really like Israel vs the Arabs. Neither really wanted to test the other, but when there were skirmishes, they were brief and violent. We didn't drink much wine, because we spent most of our time on safety meetings eating blueberries. I forget the cat's name, but it was something incredibly feminine, which was funny because my roomate was a drummer with blue hair. My other roomate played bass.

But were any of them beloved?

legalskier

I also collect an Alsacian winery called Zind-Humbrecht. Most people don't like late harvest wines but I like to pull a cork once in a while for the dessert course at a dinner party.

Nectar of the gods. Their Pinot Blanc blows away everything else, a wonderful summer wine.

ctenidae

But were any of them beloved?

Only the liver transplant friend. Who, come to think of it, does have a cat. Or at least, did then. She's married now. i remember anotehr cat we had when I had two different roomates form teh blue hair and the bassist. THey wer both actors, and our cat was orange, with one black paw. We named him Oscar, since we figured he'd dipped his paw in an inkwell.

One time I came home late and one roommate was passed out on the couch. Normal, except this time his pants were down around his ankle. Confused, I went to get another beer. My other roomate came out to ask what the hell was going on, so we had a beer and put an oven mitt on one hand, a turkey baster in the other, and the toaster on thefloor. The next morning he said "I have got to quit drinking." He stole a pen from me a few years before when we both worked in the same restaaurant but he got fired. I never forgave him for that.

The cat was no where to be found, or may have come in later, I don't recall.

WakeboardMom

I hate to digress and talk about wine but....

I've been subscribing to Robert Parker's Wine Advocate newsletter for 20 years. Every year, he publishes an issue with "Great Wine Values". I mostly shop from that list.

For a cheap light red, I tend to buy DuBoeuf flower label Beaujolais. For a medium body inexpensive red, I tend to buy Guigal Cotes du Rhone when it's on sale in New Hampshire. For high end red, I get wine shipped in from Melville in Santa Barbara county. I really like their Pinot Noirs.

With white, I mostly buy west coast sauvignon blanc. Hogue Fume Blanc is fine. Berringer, Mondavi, ... whatever. When I'm spending more, I buy the Kiwi Cloudy Bay. They're the winery that invented the whole New Zealand green/tart sauvignon blanc thing. I don't often drink Chardonnay since the mass market stuff doesn't have enough fruit in it and the really good stuff from places like Kistler or Helen Turley's Marcaissain are now priced outrageously.

I love it! Thank you for the Cliff's notes version...you've pretty much condensed a lot of the knowledge you've acquired, and given us a nice grocery list to take with us the next time we're purchasing wine. Thank you!

WakeboardMom

t-shirt I once saw:

Wineaux: A drunk who uses a glass

I was once in a bar and ordered a Cosmo. The bartender came back and asked me if I might like something else. The Martini glass was being used. ; - )