• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whats your go to brand?

Black Phantom

303217368v2147483647_240x240_Front.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Under Armour does rock but I've been using Chilies for a while.

I've always been a fan of North Face jackets although I'm sure there are better ones out there like Arctery'x. Course they also cost more $$

snowmonster

Ski jacket, fleece and bib - LL Bean. Great construction and great price especially on their line of Gore Tex Pro Shells. They probably have the cheapest Pro Shells on the market. Very solid guarantee policy. My former Bean ski jacket had a malfunctioning zipper. I brought it in for repairs. Since it couldn't be repaired and the jacket had been discontinued, they just gave me a new jacket --which was way more than my old pair.

Skis - Rossignol. I like their performance and, since I am very familiar with their product line, I can zero in on the ski I need. I usually buy models at least two years after they come out and end up getting them way below MSRP.

That's the extent of my brand loyalty.

bvibert

Staff member
If we're going to break it down to individual items I do have a strong preference to Smartwool ultra thin (or whatever the thinnest ones are) ski socks. I've mistakenly bought socks online that said they had light padding in some areas, compared to the Smartwool's it's like I have cotton balls stuffed in my socks. I won't make that mistake again.

I also prefer CW-X for my base layers, but it's pricey and I'll only buy it if I can find a good deal.

o3jeff

I'm also a fan of the Smartwool socks(any of their socks, ski, running, hiking), their next-to-skin base layer top and CW-X bottoms.

bigbog

Brand-wise I'm all over the map...
Although with skipants...NorthFace's short inseams fit me really well...and their design/materials haven't let me down so far.
Other than that...I'm in the "whatever fits and works gets my attention most" camp.
Some things of well-known brands fit, some don't...
Have to agree that Smartwool socks and UnderArmor tops/bottoms work well. PolarMax tops work, but would like to try the Patagonia R1s(or similar)...(tried R2s = too much).

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
As far as ski's go ever since I stepped onto my first pair of Atomic's I've been hooked. Went away to a pair of Volants but returned to Atomic after two seasons. My current pair of Metron 9's are fantastic. I like the "heavyness" which reacts well on eastern hard pack and find them great in bumps and have found them great in deep Utah powder as well. Demo'd some skis last season and found the Vokle (sp?) AC 50's to be very similar. Wish I could have tried a slightly longer pair.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yeah I feel strong brand loyalty to Atomic just because I had so many awesome years and the most epic skiing of my life on my Beta Ride's. It's the first thing I was looking at when reviewing skis, even though I'm sure there are many others equally as awesome.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Ski jacket, fleece and bib - LL Bean. Great construction and great price especially on their line of Gore Tex Pro Shells. They probably have the cheapest Pro Shells on the market. Very solid guarantee policy. My former Bean ski jacket had a malfunctioning zipper. I brought it in for repairs. Since it couldn't be repaired and the jacket had been discontinued, they just gave me a new jacket --which was way more than my old pair.

Skis - Rossignol. I like their performance and, since I am very familiar with their product line, I can zero in on the ski I need. I usually buy models at least two years after they come out and end up getting them way below MSRP.

That's the extent of my brand loyalty.

What about that awesome blue monster suit!

drjeff

I will totally admit that today I have less "goto" brands than I did in years past, since there have been a good number of companies (both new and existing) that have been coming up with some GREAT, "game changing" products as of late. If the tech, and the science behind the tech seem to be real solid, then reguardless of who made it, that's my "goto" brand now. I may buy from them again in the future or I may not if someone else has a better product

frapcap

My favorite piece of UA cold gear has been with me for the past 7 years!!!! I think the garment has easily paid for itself at this point.

That makes me feel really good about my purchase(s). How often have you washed your oldest piece and what kind of condition is it in? Does it still shrink up that tiny bit like it used to when new?

I have a thing with washing my ski gear- I try not to!

drjeff

That makes me feel really good about my purchase(s). How often have you washed your oldest piece and what kind of condition is it in? Does it still shrink up that tiny bit like it used to when new?

I've probably washed my under armour cold gear (tights, turtlenecks, loose fit crewnecks, and even a pair of their socks that I wear under outdoor boots in the winter) conservatively 100 times over the last 5 or 6 years - holds up great, stills shrinks up a bit too (same goes with their warm weather gear). What I tend to do though is NOT to machine dry them, but air dry them, and I do use either a sport fabric specific detergent, or if I'm out, 1/2 the regular volume of laundry detergent and add an extra rinse cycle - you want to keep the detergent out of the "pores" in the fabric to keep it's breathability/wicking at its best!

Black Phantom

Clean, breathable gear is the main factor in performance.

Wash your stuff in cold water. Use only a powdered detergent. Do not put softgoods in a dryer. NEVER use fabric softener. It will only clog the pores of the material, among other things. Rinse twice if it's outerwear.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Clean, breathable gear is the main factor in performance.

Wash your stuff in cold water. Use only a powdered detergent. Do not put softgoods in a dryer. NEVER use fabric softener. It will only clog the pores of the material, among other things. Rinse twice if it's outerwear.

Good tips. What's the deal with not using a dryer?

drjeff

Good tips. What's the deal with not using a dryer?

It can accelerate the breakdown of the tech fabrics which leads to decreased performance. Even though in one sense the performance fabrics are tough and can take a bunch of abuse while in use, when it comes to their care, you need to basically think of them as like a silk fabric which you just handle with a great deal of care

frapcap

It can accelerate the breakdown of the tech fabrics which leads to decreased performance. Even though in one sense the performance fabrics are tough and can take a bunch of abuse while in use, when it comes to their care, you need to basically think of them as like a silk fabric which you just handle with a great deal of care

Thats along the lines of what I've heard. I wash damn near everything I own in cold water, especially athletic wear.

The UA gear says to machine dry low but up until recently I'd just let them air dry. Alternatively, I found that when I air dry, they get that musty mold smell as if there was still water trapped in them; and it never goes away. Happens even with an extra spin cycle. Now I lightly dry and pull them out after ~10-15 minutes.

The outterwear tip is helpful, too. I only wash my jacket and pants 1-2x per season (or if theres WAY to much spilled on them).

Since plenty of us are tree skiers, does anyone have any good repair tips for the bottom of your pants, jackets, etc?

I typically use liquid nails for canvas to pull the tear back together. If the tear is more than a 1/2" I put a small piece of canvas behind it and then liquid nails the bejesus out of the patch.
Its a little ghetto-tized but it works very well.

Black Phantom

Thats along the lines of what I've heard. I wash damn near everything I own in cold water, especially athletic wear.

The UA gear says to machine dry low but up until recently I'd just let them air dry. Alternatively, I found that when I air dry, they get that musty mold smell as if there was still water trapped in them; and it never goes away. Happens even with an extra spin cycle. Now I lightly dry and pull them out after ~10-15 minutes.

The outterwear tip is helpful, too. I only wash my jacket and pants 1-2x per season (or if theres WAY to much spilled on them).

Since plenty of us are tree skiers, does anyone have any good repair tips for the bottom of your pants, jackets, etc?

I typically use liquid nails for canvas to pull the tear back together. If the tear is more than a 1/2" I put a small piece of canvas behind it and then liquid nails the bejesus out of the patch.
Its a little ghetto-tized but it works very well.

Washing your stuff frequently is good for the gear. It needs to breath to be able to do its thing for you. Pay attention to the washing instructions on the label. Most are hard to decipher. You can look up the symbols on any webstite. They are universal. Oxyclean does wonders as well. Mix it with the powder detergent.

Do you hang your undergarments? I put them it a sunny room on hangers.

As for repairs, I find this stuff will do the trick. You can start by initially reinforcing your pants hem with cordura. I don't think it's worth it. Pants are pretty cheap.

duck-tape.jpg

darent

I'm a cold water person, double rinse and use tech wash products.always hang dry my ski stuff, never sees a dryer!!

snowmonster

Question: for Gore Tex fabrics, I usually wash them with a Tech Wash then spray on the sealant. What works better after spraying, letting the fabric hang dry or sticking it in the dryer to bake the seal? Thanks!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Question: for Gore Tex fabrics, I usually wash them with a Tech Wash then spray on the sealant. What works better after spraying, letting the fabric hang dry or sticking it in the dryer to bake the seal? Thanks!

I've always run mine in the dryer. Theoretically it helps spread the fluid and dries. But then again, theoretically. I guess they are making the wash-in TX Direct again.