• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sochi - VT's Hannah Kearney's Bronze in Moguls

abc

1 - She has every right to be truthful! BTW, saying the "expected" isn't right or wrong, it's a publicity opportunity that she may choose to take advantage of.

2 - Viewers like us has every right to think of her based on what she said. Take note of number 1

3 - Her tricks were big but the event isn't freestyle, it's mogul. So her performance on the moguls takes as much weight as when she's in air.

4 - If she wishes to be judged by her big air, she should enter events that are more appropriate for her.

bdfreetuna

Well said abc. When it comes to issues like these where we don't know actually know the person it's best to give benefit of the doubt. We don't need to be impressed with her reaction, but that doesn't make her a bad person. Even if she is a sore loser, that doesn't make her a bad person. Apparently she doesn't have a lot of experience losing lately, and she really liked being the best. In her shoes maybe I'd feel the same way. Then again I'd try not to show it in public.

I'm looking forward to future Olympic events like possibly freeskiing or unconventional terrain.

Events where there is no such thing as a "perfect run" and more emphasis is put on how overall badass the performance was.

Domeskier

I'm looking forward to future Olympic events like possibly freeskiing or unconventional terrain.

Events where there is no such thing as a "perfect run" and more emphasis is put on how overall badass the performance was.

I'm looking foward to the time when they create a platinum medal to recognize any athlete who achieves Tunaspeed in their discpline.:flag:

deadheadskier

Staff member
IMO opinion, the men's results should have been

Gold: Bilideau (and it wasn't even close)
Silver: Smyshlyaev
Bronze: Gagnon

Kingsbury despite having maybe the best airs and a decent time had by far the biggest skiing mistakes. Way to sloppy of skiing to deserve a podium IMO.

BenedictGomez

Kingsbury despite having maybe the best airs and a decent time had by far the biggest skiing mistakes. Way to sloppy of skiing to deserve a podium IMO.

I just said the SAME thing. I was AMAZED he got ANY medal let alone silver. I thought his was the worst of the 5 runs NBC televised.

Which brings me back to harping on how I'm not a fan of any "sport" that requires scoring judges. All too often reputation is more important that actual results. His "name" just won the silver, not his skiing. And I dont even agree his airs were best (Bilodeau was best IMO).

fbrissette

Bilodeau had a perfect run. He was head and shoulder above the rest today. The Russian had the cleanest run in the moguls (with Bilodeau) but he is just giving up too many points in the air. I placed Kingsbury second although he skied uncharacteristically sloppy. He may have been a bit favoured by the judges based on reputation, just like Kearney was IMO.

Scruffy

I like what she says here:

I certainly never dreamed of breaking down on National TV, but in the moment that I failed to achieve the goal I had poured my body and soul into for the last four years, I experienced very strong emotions. Some people have criticized my behavior and labeled it as "disrespectful, embarrassing, entitled, & bratty." I believe that everyone has a right to their true feelings and opinions, but I certainly don't mean to be ungrateful. I may have been devastated in the moment, but I am thrilled to be at the Olympics and proud to be bringing home a medal for my country.

I know it is impossible to please everyone, just as it is impossible to win every competition. Although I may be hyper-competitive and very focused on winning, I acknowledge that sports and life are about setting goals, working hard and conducting yourself in respectful and authentic manner, not just striving for a victory. I have also learned that in this age of social media, it is easy to get over exposed to other people's opinions. I have chosen to share my life and my career, so I will take the criticism with the support and I will use it to make myself a stronger person.

but she F@(ked up PR wise and she knows it. People love watching sports, not just for the winners, but the human experience of losing too - and how one handles losing and winning. They toned down the antics in the end zone after a touch down for a reason; no one likes a sore loser or a boastful winner.

And, as for tears for losing at the entitled position of competing in the Olympics, Puleez, save your self pity and go watch some of our war veterans competing in the Paralympics, with half a body; if you want to see people who have sacrificed everything and still compete honorably.[h=1][/h]

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Russian was robbed!!!!

Even though it wasn't the highest degree of difficulty, I actually liked his bottom air the best. Very cool. While I know the flips with many twists are super difficult, they kind of a bore me. I like a little more creativity like the Russian's air.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bilodeau had a perfect run. He was head and shoulder above the rest today. The Russian had the cleanest run in the moguls (with Bilodeau) but he is just giving up too many points in the air. I placed Kingsbury second although he skied uncharacteristically sloppy. He may have been a bit favoured by the judges based on reputation, just like Kearney was IMO.

You put Kingsbury over even Gagnon? Fair enough. I thought Gagnon had the better run; not that he had a great run, but Kingsbury skiing was SO sloppy really for about a third of his run when you watched it in slowmo. Opinions vary.

fbrissette

The Russian was robbed!!!!

Even though it wasn't the highest degree of difficulty, I actually liked his bottom air the best. Very cool. While I know the flips with many twists are super difficult, they kind of a bore me. I like a little more creativity like the Russian's air.

While it may look cool, out of the 12 jumps performed in the super final, it was the one with the lowest degree of difficulty. His other jump was third easiest. He pretty much gives 1 to 1.5 points on every run to guys like Bilodeau and Kingsbury. The point he gives mean that the others can make a mistake and still beat him. He was not robbed and was scored fairly.

deadheadskier

Staff member
At least he still got a medal. I'm sure he'd prefer silver, but any medal is something to be proud of.

Still don't think Kingsbury deserves a medal. He had the worst turns in the finals by a good margin. Doesn't matter to me if he had the fastest run (he didn't) and best air (Bilideau was right there with him) combined, you have the worst turns, you don't deserve a podium.

BenedictGomez

At least he still got a medal. I'm sure he'd prefer silver, but any medal is something to be proud of.

Still don't think Kingsbury deserves a medal. He had the worst turns in the finals by a good margin. Doesn't matter to me if he had the fastest run (he didn't) and best air (Bilideau was right there with him) combined, you have the worst turns, you don't deserve a podium.

That was awful. Kingsbury had numerous mistakes committed. Had that happened in Vancouver, it would be one of those deals where people thought it was rigged for the home country. Our jaws dropped in this household when the 2nd place went up after that run.