• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: WARP's RED group rocks Tremblant

Warp Daddy

When Jan 19 and 20,2012

Where : Tremblant

Conditions: Pow --dumpage ,

OK So 4 of our happy assed group of Retired Extremely Dangerous ski whackjobs loaded up the SUV with some good booze and muchies and headed out for one of our thrice yearly excursions to Disneyland North , er Tremblant that is .

We've been skiing together for damn near 3 decades and these guys are mostly ex hockey pucks from SLU or former ski racers from Dartmouth and they can rip top to bottom non stop . We all hit the gym 3/4 days a week to stay in shape year round. They are late 70's and me i'm the "young snot" in the group( 69 in May ):D:D.

This yr we missed 2 of our group. One a former ski school director unfortunately retired due to blindness in one eye and the other guy my age is recovering from 2 differant types of Cancer surgery . He has skied with us but only at our regional and didn't feel up to TREMBLANT.

We stayed on the Versant NORD side of the mtn which tends to be a bit more hardcore than the Versant SUD or Soleil sides with the Disneyesque faux French Alps Village . (been there , done that, cool to cruise at nite but we prefer the NORD) We stayed at a great Auberge with our own chef since we rented the place . Check out the snow load of the roof !!

The skiing was really fast with good coverage and low density.Temps were eh well CHALLENGING . Both days were sunny , full coverage following a 9 inch dump Wed and another 7 Thursday nites. It was "choice" with many trails left ungroomed for cold smoke runs , but colder than a well digger's ass :>). Thursday was tropical about 8 degrees F at the base and zero on top BUT NO WIND . Friday it was negative 5 on top BUT a strong wing around 25 mph so windchill was fierce . BUT we're equipped for it with full POLARGUARD heat exchanger masks and the usual balaclavas and hand and foot warmers , boot gloves etc . SO No problems

The first day we hit some serious fog again at the top station .Similar to last yrs photos in one of the attached photos u can only see the first 1500 vert of the NORD since the upper 700 vert WAS SOCKED IN . It lifted about an hr after the shot so we headed for the juicy blacks on the NORD hit up The Duncan and one other name excapes me .

After a couple hrs of those nice Looong steeps we hit the cruisers on teh Versant Sud sand hit up the Beauvallon and Grand Prix and the Alpine Lift line and several other cruisers before heading to the Disneyland Village for a Toddy

That evening we had just a wonderful dinner at the Auberge i had a Cognac laced Beef bourginon over a bed of fluffy pasta preceeded by some awesome Quebecois style apeeteasers and some Potato 'Leek annd BACON creem style soup , then a series of what amounted to a huge Creme Puff smothered in maple syrup .

Attached are a couple of shots of the Auberge .and several shots of the hill and village . BTW i'm the grinning fool with glasses in the RED jacket at the Base

Wash rinse repeat for the next 2 days and you got the picture .

At the end 2 great days of skiing , 48,000 vert racked up with great friends .

You can see the smile on my face ! We getting ready for a repeat cycle in Feb - itcosts a few bucks but hell u gotta live large once in a while

emmaurice2

I always enjoy your trip reports and enthusiasm. Tremblant definitely sounds like a place I'd like to try. Quebec is such a beautiful part of the country.

Warp Daddy

Hey thanks to both of you guys . Listen go up there sometime when u get the chance . It's a great experience.

The Quebecois roll let " le bontemps roll " and the skiing is superb. Don't let my lite-hearted joshing about Disneyland color your thinking . The village is delightful , many diversions, great restaurants , ski shps , boutiques and man the food is to die for .

hrstrat57

Back in the day spent a lot of time in Montreal.....

My wife has been to Tremblant, I have not but would like to go!

Mt St Anne is on the wish list too.....

Warp Daddy

The other nice feature up there is there are several other mtns closeby in case you are staying several days and need a change of venue . Mt Blanc is" right there" 10 minutes from Tremblant about 1200 or so vert and makes for a nice supplement on the third or fourth day and about half the price