• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tremblant and traveling

MidnightJester

Short notice trip for this weekend at Mont Tremblant possibly. For any of you recent Tremblant trippers. How are the driving roads getting there? How is the main access road?? Can a front wheel drive car handle 3-5 inches getting there? Thanks : )

They might have new Snow this Thursday and Friday along with some of the Northeast and Vermont.

oldfartrider

I was there MLK weekend. All the snow I drove thru was in Vermont. The roads in Canada are fine. I have fwd car but with snow tires. No problems driving in snow

crippity

Great timing for me. As someone who has done the drive at least ten times this is what i can offer for advice and experience. I wasn't sure i was going to be able to meet my family and extended family this past weekend but once we saw the hoops schedule i went for it. Leaving from the Fairfield CT area i made it to the border in 4:15 (think its my record). When crossing via ny or VT i more than likely choose a side border. It really depends on timing and if youtrust wait times online and look at waze google maps. Depending on where you are crossing i can advise which ones i use. For example off 87 its a 1.5 mile out of the way each way and back to 15 so even if the main border had zero cars you only cost your self 4 minutes. The side border will have no cars and more often then not the main one will cost you that 5 minutes. Montreal:timing getting tru is everything. On Saturday we flew all the way to tremblant and made it in total time of 6:30 a record for me. It was sunny and a saturday. That being said, i left Tuesday morning from tremblant at 545 am and hit at least 45 minutes of traffic on way home getting thru the city. Roads; Its a law in quebec to have snows for cars registered there so all other cars should be good :) . The main highway all the way there is taken care of but there are a few things to know. It does get a tiny bit windy and there can be snowdrifts so need to take it easy if the case. The plows stay together so you can also lose significant time following them. No major hills or anything and once off the highway the 10 minute road to tremblant itself is like a state road. Should be good also.. They havent had good snow year so some of my family didnt even bother coming. They got at least 8-10 inches this past week and the mtn was in fantastic shape. Woods were in play albeit could definelty use more. another 4-6 inches should be good to go.

crippity

Also, fuel up at border obviously as dont want to pay canadian gas prices even with the dollar in our favor.

crippity

in closing go for it. if not in village itself park at north side (i think its free, double check). my motehr in law has place with shuttle so i start on front south side. first tracks is 745 and can be worth it. non first tracks is 830 start. If 830 start and gondola has que, just jump on Flying Mile to TGV. Lap some Lowel Thomas runs righ off the bat. A few Duncan runs. Then stay on expo and go to the edge once opens. Its only slow lift and has good woods. Dont go back to bottom if you can. Place gets busy but if you know what to do and take well timed lunch break if needed more than managble. i had 17 runs sunday and 23 runs Monday on what is considered their busiest time (minus the saturday).

MidnightJester

So we are staying in Montreal and have a chance for the timing if it works to be there for FRI,SAT and SUN. Should we ride FRI and SUNDAY and skip riding Saturday at Tremblant and just check out Montreal which have never been to?

Edd

So we are staying in Montreal and have a chance for the timing if it works to be there for FRI,SAT and SUN. Should we ride FRI and SUNDAY and skip riding Saturday at Tremblant and just check out Montreal which have never been to?
Hard yes. Even better, skip Sunday and ride Monday and screw weekend crowds at Tremblant 🤣.

MidnightJester

So the crossing of the border into Canada? Are they still accepting Drivers license for road crossings? Do they search going into Canada or is it show ID and drive through? Do I have to search my car for every bit of weed and bud or scrap?

Edd

So the crossing of the border into Canada? Are they still accepting Drivers license for road crossings? Do they search going into Canada or is it show ID and drive through? Do I have to search my car for every bit of weed and bud or scrap?
You need a passport. I was told by friends who went into Quebec that there was a sign stating that you can bring weed across but you need to declare it. I went into British Columbia from Idaho last week and there was no such sign. But they didn’t hassle us either.

MidnightJester

You need a passport. I was told by friends who went into Quebec that there was a sign stating that you can bring weed across but you need to declare it. I went into British Columbia from Idaho last week and there was no such sign. But they didn’t hassle us either.
I was told by friends who went into Quebec that there was a sign stating that you can bring weed across but you need to declare it.
That is awesome :) I assume these are good friends lol :)

Were they Flying??

Enhanced Driver License (EDL)

What is an Enhanced Driver License (EDL)?

An Enhanced license (permit, or non-driver ID) is a New York State DMV issued document that you can use instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. New York's EDL is compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 1 It is not acceptable for air travel between these countries. We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify your travel document requirements.

An Enhanced license, permit or non-driver ID is Federal REAL ID compliant and is accepted to board a domestic flight (within the US), and enter military bases and certain federal facilities.

Only US citizens who are residents of New York can apply for a New York State EDL.

crippity

My son brought his 16 year old buddy who only needed birth certificate and licnese for land crossing under age 18. I think from new york the EDL works. Call 1 800 461 9999 asap and ask them. Thats what i did for my sons friend. If you want to get thru the border as fast as possible. Put all windows down facing agent if someone is in back. keep hand on steering wheel, eye contact. and be ready for all the standard questions and DO NOT ELABORATE. One word answers and just be ready. As someone who married into a canadian family and has gone over border probably 50 times i have it down pat where i usually get thru with 3 to 4 questions max. Where you from: CT. Where you going: Tremblant How long u there for: 3 days: Any thing to declare or you are brining: Case beer. boom out of there. when i was young i would bring weed both ways and had one scary moment coming back to US but that was years ago.

Edd

I was told by friends who went into Quebec that there was a sign stating that you can bring weed across but you need to declare it.
That is awesome :) I assume these are good friends lol :)

Were they Flying??

Enhanced Driver License (EDL)

What is an Enhanced Driver License (EDL)?

An Enhanced license (permit, or non-driver ID) is a New York State DMV issued document that you can use instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. New York's EDL is compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 1 It is not acceptable for air travel between these countries. We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify your travel document requirements.

An Enhanced license, permit or non-driver ID is Federal REAL ID compliant and is accepted to board a domestic flight (within the US), and enter military bases and certain federal facilities.

Only US citizens who are residents of New York can apply for a New York State EDL.
They were NOT flying. Your post above shows that ID can be used to RETURN to the US. I’d make sure of what you need to enter Canada. They’ve gotten pretty permissive with weed, the stores in Quebec and BC required no ID and only took credit cards, which is pretty much the opposite of US stores.

Last edited:

crippity

and also, get there for that Friday, and then assess, saturdays are busy but if you can get there early and use what you learn from friday you will be fine. Montreal is fun town but winter its a bit bleak. My bro in law went to mcgill 20 years ago and still lives there. if you want anything specifc post and ill ask him.

Edd

Whenever we go to Canada we get these and bring them back for friends. Got hooked on a Quebec trip about 6 years ago.

1708634993084.jpeg

MidnightJester

Well planning trips will be a side tour occasionally UGH. Cant get into Canada with whole group do to ID issues. Thank you all for the Information for next planned trip to Tremblant.

Never been to Attitash or Bolton so going to Attitash NH(Friday), Bolton Valley VT(Sat) and Sunday someplace unless someone thinks Wildcat has any decent conditions for Friday.

slatham

Well timed thread, my first trip is next week. Looks like poor timing on weather, but that’s been the theme this winter.

gladerider

you really should take passports. it is a different country.
as for the border crossing, i would just take the 87 customs over NVT crossings. 87 border has a lot of cars so it is unlikely that they search your car. NVT crossing folks have a lot more time and they tend to search more. ask you more questions. i would make sure there are no weeds. why take chances?

as others have mentioned, the roads are fine. one time i was driving to tremblant late at night while it was dumping. cars were passing me by because they have snow tires and they are used to it. i took it easy.

i would avoid weekends if possible. i would also check to see if it is their vacation week. it can be very busy. i typically ride Mon~Thu or Fri.

if you are spending a day in Montreal, check out their restaurants. food up there is soooooo much better than most cities in the US except for NYC. in fact, aspiring chefs start in Montreal before coming down to NYC.

crank

We're headed to Tremblant Next Friday.

I've read that you can bring cannabis and I've read that you cannot bring cannabis.

I had a cooler searched once heading to Ste. Anne and the border agent told me the nice rib eye steaks I had packed were not allowed. He was a good guy and let us keep them.