• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 3-13-04

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Well, I must say I was impressed. Cannon exceeded my expectations today. I was expecting ice, ice, and more ice. What I got was 5-6 inches of fluffy snow at the top over ice, and then 3 inches of fluffy snow at the bottom over ice. It was really pretty good. Especially when you found fresh then it was hardly icy at all.

My brother and I showed up at 815 and got the second tram to the top. We got first tracks down skylight. Phenomenal, no ice and lots of new snow. We were delighted. We skied all over the mountain until 10 and we didn?t find any better conditions, than skylight was.

Met up with Rivercoil and Chris (csb snowjournal.com) and Chris?s friend Jay. Skied ravine and gray?s with them. Very nice meeting them and fun skiing with someone else for a change. A great time!

My bro and I left them for a while to go watch the big air competition. Very impressive Cancat! That 50 footer was pretty big, bigger than I wanted to do!

Brother and I went back to the top and snuck on to taft. Icy and rocky at the top but not bad half way down. Some powder to be had. Decided that the one track up mittersill should be two and we hiked up, much to the dismay of my brother as he noticed all of the rocks sticking out. The top was AWESOME, not a rock to be seen and great coverage. However, the bottom made up for it in the rock department. It was more like a slope of rocks with some snow in between. However, much to our delight our skis made it out unscathed. Took 45 minutes to navigate down the trail. Oh well it might have been the last time this year I couldn?t give that up.

Went all the way back to the top and skied the closed Vista way and the snowfields. Minus the first hundred yards of rocks vista way was superb the rest of the way with the best conditions on the whole mountain. A windblown 10-12 inches of snow made for awesome skiing. Skied it four other times today. From their we skied on down the closed banshee, which was almost untracked and made for good pow skiing.

Met up with CSB and Rivercoil again at the tram station. They said upper hard was good with no rocks. Skied down taft again, as good as before after you got rid of the ice. Then down upper hard which was really nice, however, there were a few saplings that were destroyed in this process.

Finished the day on vista way.

Note- Front five were very icy and had some very thin cover in the bumps. Won?t be good for spring skiing unless they get more snow first. Sorry.

Overall, a great day skiing with new people. Good snow when you could find it. Also some other lines on the mountain that had snow but I can?t talk of those.