• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2012-13 Edition

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

A legal dictionary would not be relevant. Something isn't a crime unless the criminal code says it is. Since you are so handy with the citations, if it is in the PA code you can feel free to prove your point.

Though I assure you I won't care (I assumed it was technically illegal until you pointed out that PA lift tickets don't say that it is) and doubt the other folks reading this page will either.

Now I agree it raises a moral issue when I speed to and from a mountain, or ski fast on a non-black trail, as that could endanger people.

BenedictGomez

A legal dictionary would not be relevant. Something isn't a crime unless the criminal code says it is. Since you are so handy with the citations, if it is in the PA code you can feel free to prove your point.

Theft of services - 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 3926

Though I assure you I won't care (I assumed it was technically illegal

I assure you I believe that.

ScottySkis

Theft of services - 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 3926

I assure you I believe that.

Were the love at. Everyone does this. My close relative used to be a cop, and he never arrested anyone for theft of ski tickets for this.( On a side note he becoming a Dr. In Political science which he should have been several years ago, then 9/11 happened and join the Military and became a cop. So glad to see him living up to his potential.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::):):):cool::cool::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::):)

BenedictGomez

Everyone does this.

Uhhhhhh.....no, actually very, very few people do this, as most people have a moral compass.

If "everyone" did this, the cost of lift tickets would necessarily skyrocket for "everyone".
If "everyone" did this, you'd have tons of 8am - 12pm skiers selling to 12pm - 4pm skiers, and the mountains would lose millions.
If "everyone" did this, little revenue-starved mountains like your beloved Plattekill would go NELSAP (and quickly).

It's incredibly selfish, douchbaggy behaviour, and FWIW, when I worked at Stowe, I saw a few people busted for this, and by busted I mean SMR got the police involved.

ScottySkis

Uhhhhhh.....no, actually very, very few people do this, as most people have a moral compass.

If "everyone" did this, the cost of lift tickets would necessarily skyrocket.
If "everyone" did this, you'd have tons of 8am - 12pm skiers selling to 12pm - 4pm skiers, and the mountains would lose millions.
If "everyone" did this, little revenue-starved mountains like your beloved Plattekill would go NELSAP (and quickly).

It's incredibly selfish, douchbaggy behaviour, and FWIW, when I worked at Stowe, I saw a few people busted for this, and by busted I mean SMR got the police involved.

Their is ways to ask if people want to buy a lift tickets. I Deen it and have done it. Just ask people next you go if they have cheap tickets for sale and see the response. Mts charge as much as they can just like all business they don't want their stuff resold but that and theft happens a lot, more from employees then customers, how you think E bay really works?

Platty I don't but their prices are so cheap so I don't think about that.

gmcunni

i have a Gore ticket i can't use. i won it on AZ and the plan i had to go there fell thru.

i will offer it here for free BUT i don't want it going to waste or being taken by someone who will turn around and sell it for $$.

so if you want a free day @ gore and can convince me that you are legit* i'll happily drop it in the mail tomorrow.

* i reserve the right to solely determine your legitimacy. having a good reputation on AZ is primary and seeing that you ski @ gore or near gore helps too.

douchebags need not apply

ScottySkis

i have a Gore ticket i can't use. i won it on AZ and the plan i had to go there fell thru.

i will offer it here for free BUT i don't want it going to waste or being taken by someone who will turn around and sell it for $$.

so if you want a free day @ gore and can convince me that you are legit* i'll happily drop it in the mail tomorrow.

* i reserve the right to solely determine your legitimacy. having a good reputation on AZ is primary and seeing that you ski @ gore or near gore helps too.

It ashamed that you can't go their still completed 100% open for the weekend.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I would love to have the Gore ticket - if I haven't tarnished my reputation too much in the above interchange, I have at least shown my commitment to skiing on the cheap.

If selected, I would head up there to use the free ticket on March 30th, then probably hit Hunter or Belleayre on the way home on the 31st to take advantage of their $30 special on that date

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Blue Mountain in Palmerton PA is running a deal through their closing date on Sunday where they will give you 50% off a ticket if you show them a lift ticket or pass from another resort this season. May well take them up on that tomorrow

conwayeast

Blue Mountain in Palmerton PA is running a deal through their closing date on Sunday where they will give you 50% off a ticket if you show them a lift ticket or pass from another resort this season. May well take them up on that tomorrow

You actually stil have tickets to show? I thought you just sold them all at the end of the day.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Only did that with the three Camelback tickets. Doesn't pay where there's no night skiing or where there's a $9-$10 ticket special, and some places have technology that makes it unworkable.

ScottySkis

Only did that with the three Camelback tickets. Doesn't pay where there's no night skiing or where there's a $9-$10 ticket special, and some places have technology that makes it unworkable.

I used to do the same thing when I skied nights at Mountain Creek, I had a discount card and would ski 2 maybe 3 hours for like a discount of $30 then when I was leaving I would sell my ticket to someone else for 15$ to people coming at night, and they were thrilled with buying a ticket for that price and I got some food and gas money.( like 15 years ago, now it might not even cover gas. :thumbdown:)

quiglam1

Need Gore tickets

If you still have it, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. Planning to ski Gore every weekend until it closes! Live to ski!

Many thanks -

gmcunni;771. 175 said:

quiglam1

If you still have it, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. Planning to ski Gore every weekend until it closes! Live to ski!
Many thanks -

My husband is a Ski Instructor at Woodsvalley, Rome, NY so we are always skiing there or at Gore.

fahz

Since the legal eagles are out, I have a couple nagging questions. I understand the theft of service from selling a used ticket on the way out but what about using that BOGO when solo and selling the second? Does that fall into the same category. Or what about selling/buying that free voucher in the lot that says "not ransferable - illigal to resell" or "this ticket may not be sold on x property. violaters will be prosecuted"?