• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2012-13 Edition

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Since the legal eagles are out, I have a couple nagging questions. I understand the theft of service from selling a used ticket on the way out but what about using that BOGO when solo and selling the second? Does that fall into the same category. Or what about selling/buying that free voucher in the lot that says "not ransferable - illigal to resell" or "this ticket may not be sold on x property. violaters will be prosecuted"?

My non-professional opinion:
Selling the second of a BOGO = illegal
Meeting someone in the parking lot beforehand and saying, "Hey, I'll get the tickets and we'll split the cost = acceptable

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My non-professional opinion:
Selling the second of a BOGO = illegal
Meeting someone in the parking lot beforehand and saying, "Hey, I'll get the tickets and we'll split the cost = acceptable

Yes, it absolutely works in practice. I'm not an eagle either.

As long as we're on this topic, NEVER sell a voucher on resort premises. You not only will get whacked, but it would jeopardize the entire voucher program.

steamboat1

As long as we're on this topic, NEVER sell a voucher on resort premises. You not only will get whacked, but it would jeopardize the entire voucher program.

Bill I assume you're talking about the discount vouchers you can purchase by belonging to a ski club. I know a lot of places won't accept the voucher unless you can show them a ski club membership card so selling them in the parking lot to a non ski club member is difficult. Years ago people were selling these vouchers on e-bay trying to make a couple of dollars. The ski areas got wise to this so that's why they now demand to see a ski club membership card.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bill I assume you're talking about the discount vouchers you can purchase by belonging to a ski club. I know a lot of places won't accept the voucher unless you can show them a ski club membership card so selling them in the parking lot to a non ski club member is difficult. Years ago people were selling these vouchers on e-bay trying to make a couple of dollars. The ski areas got wise to this so that's why they now demand to see a ski club membership card.
It's a bit more complicated than that. If you want to chat about it, PM me.

BenedictGomez

I understand the theft of service from selling a used ticket on the way out but what about using that BOGO when solo and selling the second? Does that fall into the same category.

No, that's legal, so have at it. The BOGO is a product intended for two people, and you are taking ownership and using one ticket. You paid the money that the resort is in agreement with, and the 2nd ticket hasn't been assigned/used, so there isnt a "theft of service". Now, I imagine if 90% of people showed up every weekend and did this, BOGO programs probably would either be limited or eliminated, but I cant think of any reason why this would be "illegal".

"this ticket may not be sold on x property. violaters will be prosecuted"?

I've seen that on sporting arena tickets, but I've never seen it on lift tickets, so I'm unsure whether or not that's legally binding or not. I do know that it IS legally binding in NY and NJ, but only withing X feet of stadium/arena box office, so I suspect (just guessing) it probably is binding in some states.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Took advantage of that 50% deal at Blue Mt, in Palmerton PA today to get an afternoon ticket for $22.50. Now at 10 days for $205 this season.

This offer of 50% off if you show a pass or ticket for this season from another mountain is good through their closing date, which has now been extended to March 30.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Blue Mountain now offering $25 lift tix to everyone the rest of their season, which runs at least through Saturday the 30th.
Sunday the 31st both Belleayre and Hunter are offering $30 lift tix.

So weather permitting I will close my season out by paying no more than $55 for two more days of skiing, bringing me up to 12 days for $260. Under $22/day.

puckoach

My son reports that he has a couple of Stratton passes he got from a beverage company rep. I haven't seen them, but he's dropping them off to me tonight.

Of any interest ?

ScottySkis

https://www.facebook.com/Plattekill Platty cheap deals this weekend
559317_10151574225807363_242985949_n.jpg

snoseek

I have a voucher good for a free ticket till the end of the year at Saddleback that I'm not likely going to get to use. Free to whoever wants it. pm your adress and I'll drop it in the mail. Preference given to posters I know or steady posters (say 50 or more). I'll check later tonight. Things are pretty good up there right now....

Bene288

I have a Magic Mountain voucher that I will not get to use this season. If someone will actually use it then PM me and I'll drop it in the mail

snowngr

Not sure if it was mentioned already, Attitash & Wildcat are $9 on Monday 1 April. Liftopia, not sure if walk up pricing is discounted too.