• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill - Saturday, March 13, 2004

goldsbar

Date(s) Skied: Saturday, March 13, 2004

Resort or Ski Area: Plattekill

Conditions: Groomers = scratchy hardpack to moist PP (proportions varied by trail); Ungroomed = very moist fresh snow with some crust and hardpack underneath.

Trip Report: Not the greatest but at least they were still open. Close to 100% open actually (only upper Blockbuster was closed). Deterioration from the prior weeks rain and warm weather was very evident. Still, they had a fair amount of snow considering the rest of the Catskills were bare until you got a mile or so from the mountain. That moist, crusty snow did its best to try to make me do a split. Tough to keep those skis together! I tried a couple of woods runs and hit hidden rocks both times (and a not so hidden tree!). I was surprised to see other tracks venturing into the woods given the light crowd & poor snow conditions.

Snow this week could give them a good boost. Rain or a warm spell would probably shut them down - at least the South facing side.