• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sub-$50 lift ticket possible?

thetrailboss

Staff member
How does Dartmouth skiway compare with Middlebury Snow Bowl in terrain and snow?

Never been to either. So should be interesting.
Can only speak for Midd. One drawback to Midd is that Bailey Falls is not running. That’s a good chunk of the area. The frontside has great pitch and some gnarly areas.

Agree about the drawback to the Bailey Falls lift not running as it opens up the mountain considerably. I've read that they needed parts, received them and were installing the parts when additional issues were identified and thus more, hard to come by parts were needed so they shut down the possibility of it running for this season. Supposedly, they'll focus on making this lift's operation for next season a priority.

We'll see. Middlebury is a mountain that skis much bigger than it's 1k vertical and is a fun alternative for a day when in the MRV.

chuckstah

Burke is three for one on Wednesday, so $30 if you can find 2 to share with. Combine that with Mount Ellen on Thursday. Add one of the college areas to add a day if needed. Cheap and good.

BodeMiller1

Insurance hurts the small hills. Even public parks where kids sled. IE Whites park in Concord, NH King hill. Half of what it was in the 70s.

darent

if you live in the Lower Hudson valley don't forget Catamount Mountain on the MA/NY border

abc

Burke is three for one on Wednesday, so $30 if you can find 2 to share with. Combine that with Mount Ellen on Thursday. Add one of the college areas to add a day if needed. Cheap and good.
Thanks for spilling the beans! :)

I’ve more or less had that in mind. I had Middlebury on Friday, until I learned about the Bailey Fall lift not running. But I suppose I could substituting Dartmouth Ski Way (or not, but just stick with Middlebury). The only thing left is weather cooperating.

Is Tenneys worth stopping on the way?

Last edited:

RH29

Belleayre is doing $29 afternoon lift tickets for Leap Day.

zyk

Belleayre is doing $29 afternoon lift tickets for Leap Day.
Saw this. So if you don't have a pass there or maybe one somewhere else good opportunity to check it out.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trail-Map_Snow-Bowl-23-24_4x4_V2-2-145d71200aad8321-1024x1024.jpg

As you can see, without the Bailey Falls Triple, you can still ski quite a bit. In fact, you can ski B Traverse/LaForce to Meredith then to S Turn and back to the Sheehan side. You are losing Youngman, Fletcher, Liftline, and Big Cookie. It has been a long time, but I am pretty sure that there is no or very limited snowmaking over there so it might be moot if the snow is low.

Boxtop Willie

I know both Dartmouth Skiway and Middlebury quite well. Midd tends to get more snow. Both have decent terrain although I prefer the variety at Midd. (not having the Falls lift is a minor issue, you an still access the majority of the hill without it.) Combining Midd and Mt Ellen as a 2 day trip would be a good, economical choice. There are a variety of reasonably priced accommodations in the MRV during mid-march.

BodeMiller1

Trail-Map_Snow-Bowl-23-24_4x4_V2-2-145d71200aad8321-1024x1024.jpg

As you can see, without the Bailey Falls Triple, you can still ski quite a bit. In fact, you can ski B Traverse/LaForce to Meredith then to S Turn and back to the Sheehan side. You are losing Youngman, Fletcher, Liftline, and Big Cookie. It has been a long time, but I am pretty sure that there is no or very limited snowmaking over there so it might be moot if the snow is low.
I like it when they put a moose on a trail map. It gives you a good idea how big the mountain is. (y)