• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown 1.20.13

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: 1.20.13
Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown
Conditions: sunny, soft snow
Trip Report: arrived for afternoon skiing. overflow parking lot was in use, but we scored a recently vacated spot near the lodge.

The place looked packed - lift lines looked a bit ominous (for sundown), lodge was overflowing, grill was busy on the deck and the sun was shining. I'm sure it was a successful day for the mountain.

skied all over the mountain. every trail was pretty soft. Bumps on lower stinger were pretty nice (at least the first 2/3). Lines were 10 minutes if you waited in the main queue, which i did a couple times with daughter and her friend. After they dumped me i hit the singles line and it was 1-2 minutes tops.

Gunny skied great most of the afternoon. Soft snow with some REAL bumps forming at the top. Around 4 PM the sun dropped low and the soft snow started firming up. I'm sure the 6 PM groom put a nice creamy finish on the mountain for the evening skiers.

gmcunni

IMG_09481.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

bdfreetuna

Looks very nice. Never been to Sundown or skied in CT at all actually but I'd guess you had better conditions than some places in VT/NH today.

Those seed bumps look enjoyable as well.

Cornhead

Hey gmcunni, did you make it to Greek Peak? What did you think? Get any grease dripped on you from the lifts?:p

gmcunni

Hey gmcunni, did you make it to Greek Peak? What did you think? Get any grease dripped on you from the lifts?:p

did not, watched the weather and decided against going. i had banged up my knee a bit in VT earlier in the week and that swayed me too. i'd still like to ski there if i can work it in to a college trip. perhaps early March when i go for spring break pick up.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice TR. I was there for a couple of hours in the morning with my daughter, but we split before it got too busy. In the morning the lower bumps were firm and chunky to say the least, I'm glad it softened up!