• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock 1/25/13

Bumpsis

Took a day off this past Friday (1/25/13) and decided to check out Gunstock. I've never been there before and its proximity to Boston really called for a some exploration.

The day was great. No much wind, some veiled sunshine, great views of the lake and the mountains. I dressed properly for the cold, so no problems there. I started at noon and skied through to 4 PM. There were very few people and most of the time I had the trails essentially wide open and to myself, which made for some very fast cruising. It's just great to look down a slope and it's all empty.

Snow conditions: all man made, of course but in great shape. Very good cover on all opened slopes and with plenty of soft enough texture to lay some serious arcs. I even found some untouched streches of courduroy. All the natural snow trails were closed off. Looks like the do have some nice tree skiing terrain, but I hope to see that at a more snowy times.

I stayed mostly on the main lift that goes to the top (Panorama? - sorry, first time there), but did manage to ski most of what was there. I skipped the park since I'm just not into that. Closer to 4 PM, the school buses and various racing teams started arriving. The parking lot also gained a few more cars. Apparently, the night skiing scene over there is fairly active.
It was a very satisfying visit.