• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/7-2/9

WWF-VT

10 degrees, about 3 inches of snow and snowing hard now at 7:30 AM at the base of Mt Ellen. Snow phone not making any predictions on potential storm totals

BenedictGomez

It's snowing pretty hard in western NJ already.

This is WAY earlier than it was supposed to start snowing. I'm taking that as a positive sign!! Most were saying "mix" here until late this afternoon, some were saying "mix" until 7pm.

ScottySkis

It's snowing pretty hard in western NJ already.

This is WAY earlier than it was supposed to start snowing. I'm taking that as a positive sign!! Most were saying "mix" here until late this afternoon, some were saying "mix" until 7pm.
Smart for me to not go to work today, hopefully unemployment check for when their stupid as# fires me.:thumbdown:

bheemsoth

Close to an inch on the ground here in central CT. Hopefully getting on the road around noon. I assume CT and MA will at least keep 91 in good shape.

BenedictGomez

Wow thats awesome.

Absolutely.

But I'm also hearing wonky chatter that the merging of the two storms isnt going as perfectly as expected, that the northern branch is slower than thought, which means snow totals will have to come down a bit for pretty much everywhere except southern New England.

For instance, where I live, NWS had 10-14 last night, and they've now pulled it down to 6-8. They essentially cut the snow in half! We'll see. It's not like they havent been wrong before......... a LOT. Lol.

BenedictGomez

All we can do is wait and see. I certainly hope that the wonky chatter is off the mark.

Agreed. But there's a lot of conflicting options and analysis right now. Like, now you have the NWS just putting this out.

THE AXIS OF THE HEAVIEST SNOW MAY BE SHIFTING EVER SO SLIGHTLY MORE WEST AND NORTH THAN CURRENT FORECAST

So, at least that bit would be incrementally good news for ski country. Any northward or westward shifts would be awesome.

4aprice

Snowing at a good clip here in NNJ and has been since about 7:30 this morning (about an inch so far 700' above sea level). Leaving for the Pocono's in about an hour. Supposed to get 10+ UP there. Skiing was good up there yesterday so it should only be getting better.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jrmagic

Regardless of final totals, at least it didn't go way out to sea making it a bust. Its all good from here but of course hoping for high end amounts throughout ski country. Its been snowing here in central westchester since I woke up with about an inch and a half on the ground.

BenedictGomez

Yeah, but that is the norm and to be expected. Whenever I see an accumulation forecast for 2-3 days out I automatically cut the projection in half. That tends to end up matching reality in most cases.

This was from last night at midnight to this morning at 10am that the National Weather Service cut it in 1/2.

I still think they may be wrong. For every panicking Met lowering their snow totals, there seems to be a Met staying the course.