• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The ALTERRA SUCKS Thread

BenedictGomez

Are mountains struggling tremendously to maintain ski patrol?

I was under the impression that was one of the few ski jobs people actually seem to want to work at.

Hawk

I know Bob. He has not been happy with Sugarbush since the cots that happened during and after Covid. Really good guy and has been a part of the community for years. This is not the first back and forth with Sugarbush he has had.

jimmywilson69

Interestingly enough Mike S from Killington apparently got into it with someone via email you can check that out in the Skyeship thread over on Kzone.

These GMs and communications folks are being put in difficult positions by their corporate overlords and its starting to show...

cdskier

Yep. The original post was about the HG removal.

Sometimes I appreciate Sugarbush's snarky responses on social media...this wasn't one of those cases. Bob has very valid points. Some people on that post are defending Sugarbush saying "everyone" knew the date was April 1st, yet clearly if that is the case you wouldn't have had the backlash that you did.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sometimes I appreciate Sugarbush's snarky responses on social media...this wasn't one of those cases. Bob has very valid points. Some people on that post are defending Sugarbush saying "everyone" knew the date was April 1st, yet clearly if that is the case you wouldn't have had the backlash that you did.
I guess the only silver lining is that maybe the person(s) behind the terrible snow reporting and other bad communications may now find another job.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interestingly enough Mike S from Killington apparently got into it with someone via email you can check that out in the Skyeship thread over on Kzone.

These GMs and communications folks are being put in difficult positions by their corporate overlords and its starting to show...
Here is the actual E-mail. Not quite as bad as I would have thought. Mike is pretty direct from what I have seen. I would not want to be working for POWDR.

1712177083536.png

Last edited:

cdskier

I guess the only silver lining is that maybe the person(s) behind the terrible snow reporting and other bad communications may now find another job.

Two different things. The snow reporter usually changes every year lately. The project related comms has to be running through Bleh though. So honestly surprising that the ball was dropped there as I always felt Bleh was very good and he's been in that position a long time. Not sure if he delegated or the decision on what/when to communicate came from higher up (i.e Hammond).

AdironRider

Here is the actual E-mail. Not quite as bad as I would have thought. Mike is pretty direct from what I have seen. I would not want to be working for POWDR.

file.php

Is there a ski corp you actually like at this point?

Honestly, when someone starts telling you you are disgusting and shame on you, because they aren't happy with a leisure product, you are probably right to cut your losses. They aren't going to be swayed by anything you say.

BenedictGomez

Honestly, when someone starts telling you you are disgusting and shame on you, because they aren't happy with a leisure product, you are probably right to cut your losses. They aren't going to be swayed by anything you say.

I dont know who is right and who is wrong in the substance of the matter re: Killington's 2023-2024 operations, but I do know with 100% certainly that that last sentence, loosely translated as, "Go **** yourself and take your business elsewhere", is wholly unacceptable by anyone at any level of a professional organization, let alone from the President & General Manager.

cdskier

I dont know who is right and who is wrong in the substance of the matter re: Killington's 2023-2024 operations, but I do know with 100% certainly that that last sentence, loosely translated as, "Go **** yourself and take your business elsewhere", is wholly unacceptable by anyone at any level of a professional organization, let alone from the President & General Manager.

Yea...to actually put that in writing is surprising even if it is what he thinks.

AdironRider

I don't know, some blowhard from kzone starts blowing up my personal email and I probably wouldn't even respond.

He most definitely didn't say "go fuck yourself" either, so you can put words in his mouth and pass judgement on your perceived slight, but it isn't reality. He said he understood his perspective, has put the best effort forward he could, and if that isn't enough, maybe somewhere else is a better option. That isn't a terrible response to someone blatantly insulting you.

BenedictGomez

He most definitely didn't say "go fuck yourself" either, so you can put words in his mouth and pass judgement on your perceived slight, but it isn't reality.

Which is exactly why I specifically said, "loosely translated" - and yes, I provided a pretty good translation.

jimk

One of my adult children is moving to Jakarta for two years. If I visit next winter I could see breaking up the trip by skiing in the Alps coming or going. Anybody here use their Ikon pass in Europe. Was it a smooth RFID transaction?