• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whistler...no pics yet..

kingslug

Whistler...with some pics...

I haven't set up the pics yet as I got back a few days ago and have been pretty shot from the trip...20 hours to get home does that. I went for a week with a NYC ski club and even though we only got about 4 inches the whole week it was still an amazing place. Plan a full day to get there as its 2.5 hours from Vancouver airport, a very cool scenic ride though. The place in a word is vast, you could spend your lifr there and never get bored, as one 81 year old guide has been doing for over 30 years. They have 1500 ski instructors to give you an idea of how big it is, a village with 200 hundred stores and 100 places to eat..plan on spending money as nothing is cheap..I bought..nothing but food, plan on $100.00 per day for that. What you get is 8000 acres of every kind of terrain on the planet, plus 1 mile of vertical. This gives you 3 different climates as you rise up the mountain. They have pretty much 2 kinds of weather, snowing and foggy or sunny. We got 3 days of each, I prefered sunny so I could see the cliffs I was trying to avoid. Every day was different, the fog could be at the top, middle or bottom, this decided where you could safely ski. At the top you get bowls the size of entire eastern resorts, many of them. The double blacks where true double blacks..do not fall zones. The middle you get trees..millions of trees with every kind of run you can think of. I found the most interesting skiing under the lifts and Gondolas, insane bump runs with cliffs and trees that took us a half hour to get down. If you like groomers they have miles of them. Beginners get their own huge areas to play around in at the base. The ride across the 2 mountains is very cool and allows you to really explore the place. Best french toast at the Irish pub...highly recommended!

Last edited:

Angus

Will be there in 9 days for 5 days of skiing so looking forward to reports and recommendations - any and all very welcomed. staying in whistler village. one thing that's been bugging me, how often is the highway in & out get shut down due to weather. planning on driving up and don't have wiggle room if hwy closes. classify ourselves as very good skiers - bumps, trees (not too tight) and steeps all good.

kingslug

The road looked fine, although it wasn't snowing so who knows but I hear it is more improved now. The place is so big I recommend picking an area and exploring it as much as possible each day. The weather will dictate what you do, fogged out, find the trees, sunny, head to the top. You have to be careful as it is very easy to get in trouble, double diamond means..double diamond..way more advanced than anything here in the east. If you like moguls they have them..miles of them. the place is expensive. We spent 20 for breakfast ..20 for lunch and up to 50 at night...and don't expect to buy much stuff to take home..$200.00 sweatshirts...really? I bought 2 stickers...the irish pub has the best french toast I ever had, was also the most fun place to hang. Dustys at Creekside had the best burgers if you like them huge...the Longhorn has a good apre ski scene...

Huck_It_Baby

Whistler is so awesome. I had an amazing time when I was there but $100 a day on FOOD? You CAN do it cheaper.

Angus

Three days in, place is kicking my butt. The resort is absolutely enormous - bowls are enormous. Steeps are really steep... with entrances very technical. Haven't found great woods... either too tight or too steep, although found some stuff late this afternoon that was just right. Flute bowl which is "hike to" rocks.

Angus

You have to be careful as it is very easy to get in trouble, double diamond means..double diamond..way more advanced than anything here in the east...

Absolutely, the many of the single diamonds are left gully steep and doubles steeper. When visibility has been poor, getting into and then skiing the doubles has been an adventure...I would best describe my technique as "flailing."

dmc

Slug... Place is awesomely huge for sure.. I've had some good times there on and off the hill... haha... crazy party town.. We raged at a couple of places there..

When I was there last a HUGE group from Japan was there and they were all wearing the same gear. Apparently a ski suit was part of their package deal and they only had a few choices... funny..

Next trip go inland... Fernie... Kicking Horse..