New Storm Snow -VS- Existing Base

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Storm Snow -VS- Existing Base

As I watch the snow fly out my window I'm still undecided about where to go skiing tomorrow. There are more factors than just who is getting the most snow of course.

Travel time, Winds, Crowds, Etc..

Currently my biggest concern is natural snow base in the glades. Is it better to stick to northern VT where the base is deeper than the Southern VT resorts, especially given the snow that Smuggs/Jay had this past week and that it's been snowing hard all day up here and should continue into the night?

2 Feet of snow on top of zero base is certainly skiable but it's not as good as it gets or anything. However 8-12 on top of 17+(?) in the north this past week(according to smuggs and jay websites) and a nice base is pretty rockin'.

I might be over thinking this but that's what happens on the eve of the biggest storm yet this season!

I'd go to a place with more than one aspect....

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I'd go to a place with more than one aspect....
    Yeah I would agree on that. Great advise!

Re: New Storm Snow -VS- Existing Base

First off, you're definitely over thinking it.

Secondly, the snow in So VT, is going to be a higher H2O content, and is better for the woods than further north, where the ratios will be much higher.
    I also do the Twitters.

I'm a Jay skier. 5 days ago, glades were unskiable. There is a reasonable hard base in the glades but certainly not 17 inches average. Much less than that at lower elevations, and the average means little in the steeper glades as there were bare spots all over. In other words, don't worry about the base, skiing will be fabulous pretty much everywhere. Hit your favorite place and drive safe.

I'm heading out now. Woohooo !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post

Secondly, the snow in So VT, is going to be a higher H2O content, and is better for the woods than further north, where the ratios will be much higher.
    Yeah I tend to over think. I'm sure it's gonna be awesome everywhere. I haven't been down to So Vt since early season but from looking at trail counts and what's been open I just worry about a crappy base in the trees.

I guess I'll just drink a few beers and throw a dart in the map and go there!

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    I'm a Jay skier. 5 days ago, glades were unskiable. There is a reasonable hard base in the glades but certainly not 17 inches average. Much less than that at lower elevations, and the average means little in the steeper glades as there were bare spots all over. In other words, don't worry about the base, skiing will be fabulous pretty much everywhere. Hit your favorite place and drive safe.

I'm heading out now. Woohooo !!!!!
    Boots on the ground nice! Thanks for the report. I was skinning low angle stuff near Jay last weekend and it wasn't amazing but still fresh snow and base above 2,000.

Enjoy your turns. I might hit Bolton in a little while for some night skiing.

You are seriously overthinking this. Pick a spot, go, you really cant go wrong.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post

I guess I'll just drink a few beers and throw a dart in the map and go there!
    Hit a place with sheltered lifts. All upper lifts are closed today at Jay, and it will likely be the same tomorrow. On the other hand, awesome opportunities to earn your turns !

Re: New Storm Snow -VS- Existing Base

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    I
    I dont think hes overthinking it as far as trees are concerned SoVt has effectively zero base in the woods so although there is more moisture as opposed to up north, they wilk need to pick up IMO significantly more inches to ski as well as say Smuggs.

Thread Information