• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plan my trip

crippity

The fun game of spend someone else money and time. I have been waiting on kids varsity hoops to end to book my trip. As of now it looks like i will look to fly out Feb 28th. Looks like some good snow coming west at that time. Eu not in equation for this, it will be a 5 dayer most likely. have ikon and indy and will pay for mom and pop not on Indy if need be. So i have been fortunate in the last 30 years to go to quite a few places but now that I'm aging i really appreciate going to a new place and upping my total mtns visited globally. So for example even if snowbird is getting 3 feet i would only do SLC if i incorporated Beaver to up my count. Flying nonstop from NYC is obv huge advantage. not adverse to connecting but not preferred. My original plan was bozeman and big sky bridger red lodge but they have had lean year. Have never been to any of those. If i did jackson (have been) would add in snow king and white pine for example. would like to stay same airport both ways based on car rental. IE looked into a SLC landing JAC departure and car rental was massive. where would you go flying out next week with flexibility? at a min should be fun to hear ideas. TKS

crippity

I should add im going solo (which i learned to appreciate during covid) and dont mind drivin. Could do a bathchelor Hoodoo. Winter park gransby. etc..

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have not looked lately, but MT is not doing well snow-wise. Ski Discovery is pretty cool when there is snow. Have you done Sundance Resort in Utah?

crippity

Tks for the reply TB. My utah trips are the standard: Pow, basin, PC, Brighton, solitude, bird--snowboarder here (wife and daughter get there yearly DV trip though ha)> TKS senior. have done the spokane 49 north, Red, white water, Schweitzer didnt get silver though.

jaytrem

I have not looked lately, but MT is not doing well snow-wise. Ski Discovery is pretty cool when there is snow. Have you done Sundance Resort in Utah?
Ahh Discovery, probably my favorite.

NM and CA seem to be doing pretty well with snow lately. Not sure if there are any non-stops these days. Used to get both Albuquerque and Reno from Newark, they've been gone for at least 10 years though.

Hood Meadows is on Indy, had a great day there and Hoodoo and Bachelor and Willamette and Ashland... Not sure how the snow is this year though.

jimk

You mentioned Utah. ;)
I've been here since mid Jan and the month of Feb has been very snowy. Conditions are superb right now after many consecutive days of ~4-6 inches new snow daily. Supposed to be sunny next few days, then more snow starting Mon-Tues. If you have full or base Ikon you have lots of choices. The key to LCC and BCC is get to mouth of canyons by 715-730 am, provided it doesn't snow 1+ foot snow, then go to Beaver. For solo traveler on a budget it's hard to beat the cheap motels in SLC suburbs. A friend stayed in one a couple weeks ago for $41 per night.
I have about 25 days in LCC/BCC this winter and only had two bad down-canyon drives taking about 90 mins to get out of the canyon. Both were on fantastic powder days were it stormed all day and was kinda worth it.:censored:

Edd

In the last couple of weeks, I’ve been to Silver and Whitefish.

Silver was low on snow but certainly enough for a day and I know they’ve caught snow since then. We spent a second Idaho day at Lookout Pass and that was fantastic. Sunny pow day and I got $29 lift tix by showing my Bretton Woods pass (any season pass will do).

Whitefish was a bit low on snow the first day (better then Silver) but got pow overnight and everything opened way up. Excellent ski day.

BenedictGomez

You mentioned Utah.
the month of Feb has been very snowy.

That's a bit of an understatement.

It's snowed 19 out of 22 days so far and it's officially now the all-time snowiest February since they kept records, with another 1 to 3 feet coming this Tuesday.

Last edited:

crippity

as of right now, im thinking hoodoo and bachelor but would love some responses based on current conditions and what's coming. prob flying Thursday or Friday

crippity

I am fortunate enough to have Ikon and Indy, so my original question was if you were me and am flying out any day next where would you go? Caveat: if you say SLC i need to get to beaver as i have to get another new resort under my belt. I am at 83, goal is 100 by 2026

crippity

Over three Feet coming to bachelor this week: Fly out wed or thursday-spend night PDX-day hoodoo, then to bend--few days bachelor-then bend to hood meadows--back to PDX, what you think? Only oregon ive been is timberline in summer-would get 3 new mtns and should have great snow

2Planker

Over three Feet coming to bachelor this week: Fly out wed or thursday-spend night PDX-day hoodoo, then to bend--few days bachelor-then bend to hood meadows--back to PDX, what you think? Only oregon ive been is timberline in summer-would get 3 new mtns and should have great snow
Have done the Bachelor & Hood Meadows trip a couple times.
Enjoy 👍

crippity

Flew into PDX late Saturday. Stayed in PDX airport. Turo SUV with snows at hotel. Drove to Hoodoo yesterday on Indy. Conditions good, bit chopped up. I was shot from travel and this plan was just get some laps in and try out new gear. Bachelor today. Knee deep light powder everywhere i went. In todays day and age, if you have flexibility. Switch your flight or book last minute and get the snow. Locals said best snow of year.

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: Edd

crippity

Mount hood meadows yesterday. Good trip. Drives were long then expected. Hoodoo. Bachelor. Hood Meadows. If i wasn't solo and didn't need to get back t PDX ican only imagine how good bachelor was yesterday. but i chased some sunshine and needed to make the drive

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: Edd

Jpruitt

Hoodoo pictures look great! Did locals say anything about the rest of the month? Would a late March trip still be a good idea now that spring is starting?

crippity

expecting more snow this week, another foot. i would think spring will be great. on a sad somber note. Local bend older expert skier died in treewell on tuesday. i was solo and those damn things were in my mind the entire time. Fortunately for me the snow was never getting tracked out so i didnt have to venture far to fill my needs.

crippity

ive only been to oregon in the summer but loved hood river valley and mirror lake
this was only my second time, first you will appreciate: July 98, meeting buddy from high school. Day one surf at the coast. Day two cave explore mt st helens: Day 3. Timberline summer turns. Day 4. MTB in forest. Day 4 night: Phish Portland Meadows. Day 5 and 6 Phish Gorge WA, Day 7, back to Portland, Pearl jam at Rose Garden. Red eye back to NYC.