Stowland- October 27th 2013

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Camera Stowland- October 27th 2013

After my scouting hike yesterday ( see thread: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...t-Mt-Mansfield )I was sure it would be worth a skin up the Stowe side of Mansfield for some early season turns.

Just bought new touring boots, Dynafit Titans, and had to try them within 30 days of purchase. Def a big difference on the downhill. I felt less in control and without the normal power I can throw into a turn when on downhill boots. Nice and EZ on the hike up though. light and comfortable for hiking.

A few of the turns:

A short hike up and I was on a fairly direct skin track on Liftline. A quick bootpack up National and the Quad was in sight.
    20131027_132754.jpg

The top 1/3 of the mountain was pretty solid but you really had to ski with caution. No base under the powder. I chose Nosedive since I thought it wouldn't be too steep for the amount of snow which was between 6 inches to 2 Feet. I started hitting rocks a little more than 1/2 way down and that ended my linked turns.

All in all it was a good afternoon and I'm elated that the season has officially started for me!

20131027_143444.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Huck_It_Baby; Oct 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM.

Looks great! Are those the Bacons? The snow looks significantly better than I anticipated.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Nice! Way more snow than I thought I'd see.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Looks great! Are those the Bacons? The snow looks significantly better than I anticipated.
    Yeah Bacons. I've had them for a few seasons now and LOVE them.

The snow up top was pretty awesome. I had to ski conservatively since there was no base but it was powdery!

Also quite alot of tracks out there as well. I really wonder how many people were on Mansfield hiking for turns this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by watkin View Post
    Also quite alot of tracks out there as well. I really wonder how many people were on Mansfield hiking for turns this past weekend.
    Yeah lots! I certainly didn't get first tracks although I probably could have skied another trail which saw less traffic.

What is the policy at Stowe on earning turns, preseason? Anything?
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What is the policy at Stowe on earning turns, preseason? Anything?

I don't think anyone cares when it's preseason. People were hiking and skiing/riding all over the mountain.

I like it before the resort opens up. It's a free for all and nice and quiet up there.
    Last edited by Huck_It_Baby; Oct 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM. Reason: typo

Way to get it.Jealous over here.
    SIKSKIER

20131027_143444.jpg
    Sweet panoramic shot. Mansfield/Spruce Peak is one beautiful area. Way to get after it.
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Thread Information