• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage club

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I think a high speed summit lift makes sense, the current ride according to the article is 15 minutes, which is simply too long for a premium resort. I'd guess that in the future they'll wish they had the cash instead of the extra 2 seats and the bubbles and the associated other stuff with the upgraded lift. Who knows though, the bubble could be considered a marketing expense and I don't really know how much cost all that stuff adds.

IMHO, you cannot have a premium ski resort if you don't have premium terrain.

VTKilarney

15 minutes is definitely too long for that size hill if you intend to offer a premium product.

VTKilarney

It depends on what you value. The people buying into Haystack are not buying into premium terrain. They are buying into a crowd-free environment. They are buying into golf. They are buying into an upper-tier clientele.

skiNEwhere

I don't think the AZ definition of "premium" matches the rest of general ski population. The majority of skiers enjoy groomed blue cruisers, which Haystack seems to offer.

VTKilarney

Haystack brags about grooming during the day and not just at night. So, yes, their members better enjoy groomers.

Edd

I don't think the AZ definition of "premium" matches the rest of general ski population. The majority of skiers enjoy groomed blue cruisers, which Haystack seems to offer.

Yeah, this is simply true. Is there a private ski area in existence that offers what typical AZ members would consider premium terrain?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, sort of. You can still ski Stowe without an alpine club membership though. You can't ski HC without a membership, and that's where they are trying to pull members in. I've never skied Haystack, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

As far as the 4 vs 6 pack, maybe the cost will be the same? I think it was said in one of the articles that there would only be 88 chairs. If they have longer chair spacing which causes the same amount of weight to be on the haulrope at any given time, then in THEORY the only difference between the two types of lifts would be the crossarms attached to the towers,

Right, but Jeff was talking mainly about the social component outside if skiing. All of that is available at Stowe's alpine club. Posh private lodge, locker rooms and private restaurant for the gilded class to hang out at away from the plebeians.

skiNEwhere

Right, but Jeff was talking mainly about the social component outside if skiing. All of that is available at Stowe's alpine club. Posh private lodge, locker rooms and private restaurant for the gilded class to hang out at away from the plebeians.

I think Stratton has that, or at least they did. I remember reading an article on it like 10 years ago, cost was around $50,000.

skiNEwhere

Yeah, this is simply true. Is there a private ski area in existence that offers what typical AZ members would consider premium terrain?

From what I've heard, Yellowstone Club has legit double black terrain, and has been hailed as "Lift serviced backcountry skiing." Only difference is that you don't really need to be "uber rich" for an HC membership, while with Yellowstone club you have to buy one their houses and have a net worth of at least 3 million.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stowe's is 30k nonrefundable initiation or 60k fully refundable after 5 years. 9k annual dues (waived) 1st year.

Domeskier

I suspect that people buying into HC can afford a day ticket to Stowe if they ever get the urge to toss their skis off the kitchen wall.

Newpylong

From NYC and CT sure its much more convenient. Boston the difference is not as great. To each their own, but I'd rather share my skiing experience withe the masses at a mountain like Stowe than have a private experience at a little place like haystack that gets half the snow. And I've been to Wilmington. Great town but not in the same league as Stowe for abundance of things to do.

Still 75 more miles and 45 more minutes. Every mile and minute might make a difference coming up at 9 at night on a Friday in the snow.

I thought we were trying to put ourselves into the shoes of someone who can afford these places and not ourselves? I think all of US would probably choose Stowe.

However it's quite possible that the people choosing the Hermitage don't care about more snow when the place has 95% snowmaking. Maybe they are going to Vermont to escape "an abundance of things to do" and just relax in their condos with their family.

mlctvt

It depends on what you value. The people buying into Haystack are not buying into premium terrain. They are buying into a crowd-free environment. They are buying into golf. They are buying into an upper-tier clientele.

I agree, a friend who purchased a membership for his family said this was the main reason they bought into the Hermitage club. They will still ski Mount Snow every weekend morning but once the kids are out of their morning program then the entire family will head to Haystack for most likely fresh tracks and no crowds. I'll have to take him up on his offer to try the place this winter!

Glenn

Well said. I'm sure many folks who join there are happy with the terrain. And most likely, enjoy going out to ski whenever and not having to worry about crowds or lines. If they sleep in, they'll still get some good runs.

For many, it's probably more about getting away, vs. going first to last chair and killing it with vertical on their ski tracker apps.