• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bald Mountain, VT, 01/01/07

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Bald Mountain, VT

Date Hiked: 01/07/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Bald Mountain Trail

Total Distance: 3.4 miles

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Clear, wet

Special Required Equipment: None

I had been curious about Bald Mountain for some time - I had seen it mentioned numerous times on various hiking sites, however I hadn't seen any photos or first hand reviews. The day after a 70 degree January day, I decided to give it a shot.

There wasn't a soul to be found anywhere around the park. The second crossing over the Negro Brook was certainly a pain, as the rocks were submerged in the rushing water. After a few minutes of looking around, I found a few logs across the brook downstream.

Most of the hike is moderately pitched, with the exception of a short, steep section near the summit.

Upon reaching the summit, I was greeted with strong views of both the west and east. Though often described as a loop, the downhill trail was marked closed, thus forcing me to go back down the same trail.

baldmtnsummit-2007-0107a.jpg

Mt. Monadnock seen over Putney Mountain