• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Electric Cars/Trucks and winter weather testing with results. What do you think? Who has taken one in Freezing cold long distance to a Ski mountain?

1dog

Kia Sorrento. Payments too high.
Went for $5k over sticker in 2022 -peak gas prices and demand. Basically broken even only due to rebate ( and $5k over on my previous lease-again due to demand.)

BodeMiller1

When you consider all of the problems with generating (not easy), transmission (harder), and batteries (Dirty batteries)...

If the victor drives itself will the car loose it's license if it takes out a jaguar with a family of four?

How does that work? There may be light at the end of the tunnel.

BenedictGomez

I cant wait to buy my first electric car, but it probably wont be for another 10 years or so. The advantages are obvious, but we just dont have anywhere near the correct infrastructure yet. I'll continue to off-and-on invest in them like a sonbitch though, like taking candy from the green believers.

kingslug

Saw a Lucid slogging around canyons parking lot...
Rode in a Tesla on a Lyft ride...they rent them for 400.00 a week..don't have any gas costs,so they make that much more in profit.
That sounds like a win.

Smellytele

Saw a Lucid slogging around canyons parking lot...
Rode in a Tesla on a Lyft ride...they rent them for 400.00 a week..don't have any gas costs,so they make that much more in profit.
That sounds like a win.
Hertz rental is getting rid of their Teslas as they said they are too expensive to maintain and repair.

MidnightJester

The cold and near Zero with Electric cars, Batteries & charging stations doesn't work.
Superconductors get better the colder they are.
The colder a battery gets is closer to failure it gets. At zero and internal freezing temeratures most batteries can't supply any electricity. That works for charging them as well as getting charge out of them. You can't charge a frozen or nearly frozen battery!!

Warming a car by Toaster. Hmm page ??? In manual
toaster-car-battery-5101737.jpg

Last edited:

Edd

The cold and near Zero with Electric cars, Batteries & charging stations doesn't work.
Superconductors get better the colder they are.
The colder a battery gets is closer to failure it gets. At zero and internal freezing temeratures most batteries can't supply any electricity. That works for charging them as well as getting charge out of them. You can't charge a frozen or nearly frozen battery!!

Glad to see reporting on this. I’ve no idea when I’ll buy a real EV but probably not for a long, long time.

BodeMiller1

Hertz is selling off all EVs to purchase gas cars. The nail in the coffin for me is the report of heaters draining battery. Doesn't work in my world of ice and snow.

There was a lithium battery fire on a cargo ship sailing to California diverted to Alaska and kept 2 miles out to sea. Too much of a threat to the environment. Meow

In a best case scenario, EVs are mastered, accepted and come on line. Next day the Earth is destroyed by an asteroid.
🧑‍🌾

drjeff

I am guessing that there were a bunch of people up in Ski Country this weekend, with EV's, who had some stressful moments about trying to find available charging stations. It was busy (atleast in So Vt) and there were a much greater than typical number of EV's in the parking lots, and not a ton of charging stations available, at atleast on MLK AM, it was cold (air temp in the single digits), and I can only imagine the added stress if someone in theor EV was trying to drive home on Sunday afternoon during/shortly after the CRAZY snow squall that rolled through and turned the roads into treacherous glorfied parking lots for a few hours, especially if they hadn't been able to find an avaialble charging station up in the region since they arrived.

2Planker

Hertz is selling off half of their Tesla's
Prices look very reasonable IF that is your thing....

BodeMiller1

Hertz is selling off half of their Tesla's
Prices look very reasonable IF that is your thing....
Yea their dumping them, good article on buying them, file under buyer beware. All you have to do is change the battery. 😱

Snowing, huge cotton like flakes North pf Burlington, VT.

Smellytele

maybe they we'll create a plug in heater for the battery like block heaters for ICE vehicles...

Guess it won't help if you are driving and it gets cold

SkiingInABlueDream

I feel like battery heaters for EVs is something that must already exist. Just seems like basic necessity for cold season usage.

Maybe somebody will create an auxiliary propane battery heater so that you don't have to sacrifice battery energy to keep the battery warm😅

MidnightJester

The battery warmers are actually built into most new EV vehicle batteries but here is the problem. They need a residual charge in the battery of 10%-20% range. Your screwed badly if below the 10% level!!
I feel like battery heaters for EVs is something that must already exist. Just seems like basic necessity for cold season usage.

Maybe somebody will create an auxiliary propane battery heater so that you don't have to sacrifice battery energy to keep the battery warm😅
Some of the Battery packs are incased in the frame and the size of a the whole floor of the Car or Truck

NYDB

I am guessing that there were a bunch of people up in Ski Country this weekend, with EV's, who had some stressful moments about trying to find available charging stations. It was busy (atleast in So Vt) and there were a much greater than typical number of EV's in the parking lots, and not a ton of charging stations available, at atleast on MLK AM, it was cold (air temp in the single digits), and I can only imagine the added stress if someone in theor EV was trying to drive home on Sunday afternoon during/shortly after the CRAZY snow squall that rolled through and turned the roads into treacherous glorfied parking lots for a few hours, especially if they hadn't been able to find an avaialble charging station up in the region since they arrived.
There are so many EVs around Southern VT I don’t think it’s the problem you guess it is.

this Thread is still so funny.