• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trails that are never open..

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
When I was a kid growing up skiing Gore (1980s/90s), Upper Darby and Lower Steilhang were almost always closed. Later on they started making snow on the latter at times and now they may do so more regularly....I have hardly gone in recent years though.

Yeah, they make snow on Lower Steilhang and it's open all the time now. Upper Darby is still rarely open (and kind of short now that the Lies construction cut the top off).

The Cure and A.O.A. at West Mountain are never open.

4aprice

Couple of comments on trails listed. Got to ski Triple Trouble at Loon last March. It was the 1st time I had seen it open since the early 70's and really enjoyed it. Tramline at Cannon was also open that weekend but didn't venture on to it, but I did hit Middle Hard Scrabble for the 1st time. I've had some great times on K-27 at Hunter, Westway (44) is the one I'd like to see open more often. Skied Flume at Killington 2 weekends in a row last spring. Haven't been able to ski Freefall or Madonna Lift Line the last few times I was at Smuggs. Hoping to hit South Bowl at Mt Snow, and the glades off the top of Okemo this coming winter as they have been closed everytime I went to those places.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

KevinF

If I see this open this season, I will drop everything and head to Cannon! I've always wanted to ski it.

The only way I would bother skiing Tramline is if I had somebody elses skis to ruin on it. It does look like an awesome fun trail if it was located on one of New England's snowier mountains (i.e., Stowe, Jay), but it's not.

Zand

If I see this open this season, I will drop everything and head to Cannon! I've always wanted to ski it.

Been there once when it's open and skiied it in case I never caught it open again. If you go and it's open, bring skis you don't love unless you're ready to air it out over every cliff. After those are over it's a great run to the bottom because of the low traffic, but you definitely have to hate your skis to ski the top.

To me, if there's enough snow to open Tramline, that just means that, right next door, Kinsman is probably off the hook.

AdironRider

Nothing in my experience as a passholder both East and West has compared to Alta 0 in Jackson. Been open maybe 3-4 days total over the past seven years, almost all of which were during one epic year.

canobie#1

Been there once when it's open and skiied it in case I never caught it open again. If you go and it's open, bring skis you don't love unless you're ready to air it out over every cliff. After those are over it's a great run to the bottom because of the low traffic, but you definitely have to hate your skis to ski the top.

To me, if there's enough snow to open Tramline, that just means that, right next door, Kinsman is probably off the hook.
How is kinsman glade? Is it steep too? I never here a lot about it, kinda seems to be over shadowed by everything else.

ScottySkis

Nothing in my experience as a passholder both East and West has compared to Alta 0 in Jackson. Been open maybe 3-4 days total over the past seven years, almost all of which were during one epic year.
Agreed haven't been to Jackson yet ,but Alta and Snowbird crazy steeps, snow snow big mountains I need to back.

AdironRider

How is kinsman glade? Is it steep too? I never here a lot about it, kinda seems to be over shadowed by everything else.

Steep is subjective, but overall Id say its a bit lower angle than Tramline. Easy to travel to far right though IME if you aren't to familiar.

skiNEwhere

Where is sis boom bah on a trail map? I've searched trail maps from the 2000's and 1990's and can't find it

kcyanks1

Not on the map really, to the extent that matters. I took a scary fall on that but thankfully was okay. Somehow caught my ski despite moving quite carefully and then tumbled down. I lost my glasses (despite having goggles) and somehow my cousin found them. Did it again after but was quite nervous the whole way down.

Highway Star

Double Dipper is a groomed snowmaking trail that is normally open from late December to mid April. It is only closed after a major icing event.

Flume is an ungroomed, natural snow trail that is usually open from late December to mid March, except for melt outs or sheet ice conditions.