• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death at Stratton

dlague

Another trail sign hit! That is like the third or fourth death from hitting a trail sign! Really sad to hear! So very very young!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Powda

Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

xlr8r

So sad, especially because I was there and didn't even know it happened until now. Definitely makes me rethink how aggressively I ski sometimes.

It happened on the 91 trail which is a mostly flat traverse over to the bottom of the Sun Bowl that goes by a bunch of homes and condos. I did notice that they had it roped off on Saturday with 2 ski patrollers stopping people from going on it, but I had no idea it was because of this. I wonder why he was over there if this really was his first time, as it is far away from the beginner area. It is not an easy trail to go down by mistake as it is far off to the side below the base of URSA. Maybe he and his friends were staying in a condo off that trail. Also if he ended up at Sun Bowl, he would have had to take a blue down from the top of Sunrise Express to get back to the main side of the mountain.

drjeff

Must of been either before 11:30 or after about 2, as from having been at Bromley on Saturday, there's no way the medical helicopter from Dartmouth/Hitchcock could of landed at Stratton during the squall that rolled through mid-day. Such a sad thing...

Tin

Last edited:

drjeff

But they would hurt the tree ! Vermont probably has a regulation to protect trees from undue pain and suffering.

Unless of course the "pain and suffering" of said tree is caused by a maple syrup tap ;) For now at least...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
What was wrong with wooden signs nailed to a tree?

I never had an issue with signs in trees and was always able to find my way around just fine. However, I would guess that signs mounted to dimensioned wooden posts that have flat sides are a lot easier to maintain/replace than a sign mounted 10 feet up in a tree. Additionally with a tree you only have a small area where the sign meets the tree where screws or nails can be used to hang the sign. This limits how large the sign can be before it becomes so large that wind can easily rip it out of the tree. The newer setup, where signs are mounted on two posts allows for a much more stable mounting area for the signs.

MadMadWorld

I never had an issue with signs in trees and was always able to find my way around just fine. However, I would guess that signs mounted to dimensioned wooden posts that have flat sides are a lot easier to maintain/replace than a sign mounted 10 feet up in a tree. Additionally with a tree you only have a small area where the sign meets the tree where screws or nails can be used to hang the sign. This limits how large the sign can be before it becomes so large that wind can easily rip it out of the tree. The newer setup, where signs are mounted on two posts allows for a much more stable mounting area for the signs.

Who needs it 10 feet in the air? MRG and Magic do fine with it. I'm sure there are others too. Hell, a lot of the trails at both of those mountains don't even have trail signs. Map reading skills has really fallen by the wayside but that's a whole different discussion

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Okay, we're getting a bit off topic here... Anyway.... 10 feet isn't really that high, but 8 feet is likely plenty high enough in most places. Like I said, the tree mount is just fine with me and (IMO) it has historically worked well. However, like you said map reading skills have declined and the general public "expects" the resorts to hold their hand as much as possible to get them around the mountain. Having "huge" signs with VERY clear directions on them have become the standard in the last 5-10 years. I'm not saying it is a good or bad thing but just pointing out that there are now additional obstacles at trail intersections for people to run into.

drjeff

Who needs it 10 feet in the air? MRG and Magic do fine with it. I'm sure there are others too. Hell, a lot of the trails at both of those mountains don't even have trail signs. Map reading skills has really fallen by the wayside but that's a whole different discussion

Could it be a general trail width issue that nowadays seems to necessitate a larger trail sign that can be read from often 100+ feet away whereas in the past with generally narrower trails one was often much closer to the trail sign, regardless of where they stopped near the entrance to a trail?

drjeff

Okay, we're getting a bit off topic here... Anyway.... 10 feet isn't really that high, but 8 feet is likely plenty high enough in most places. Like I said, the tree mount is just fine with me and (IMO) it has historically worked well. However, like you said map reading skills have declined and the general public "expects" the resorts to hold their hand as much as possible to get them around the mountain. Having "huge" signs with VERY clear directions on them have become the standard in the last 5-10 years. I'm not saying it is a good or bad thing but just pointing out that there are now additional obstacles at trail intersections for people to run into.

I think that 10 feet off the dry ground is needed, since if you add 3+ feet of base to the ground, then that 10 feet can turn into say 5 to 7 feet, at which point it could much more easily be obscured by someone who stops in front of it

Highway Star

Mods please delete this disrespectful crap.

A tragic accident, thoughts to his family and friends.

Feel free to pound sand.

While this is a tragic event, people, especially beginners/intermediates, need to be more aware of the speeds involved and results of a loss of control in the wrong spot.

B. RELEASE OF LIABILITY.

I understand there are risks, dangers and hazards associated with the sport of skiing for which this equipment is to be used, which may result in serious personal injury or death and that injuries are a common and ordinary occurrence. Risks include, but are not limited to, changes in terrain, weather and snow surfaces, ice, moguls, bare spots, debris, fences, posts, trees, chairlift and surface lift equipment and towers, light poles, signs, buildings, roads and walkways, ramps, padded and non-padded barriers or obstacles, rails, boxes, pole jams, jumps and other terrain features (including the angle and length of their approaches, take-off ramps and landing areas) both in and out of the terrain park, snowmaking and grooming equipment and operations, snowmobile operations, collisions with other persons and collisions with other natural and man-made hazards, including collisions with obstacles adjacent to and off the skiable terrain, such as snowmaking pipes, hydrants, guns, wands, and other snowmaking equipment, rocks and trees, and improperly-adjusted or malfunctioning equipment. I acknowledge the risks in the sport of skiing can be greatly reduced by taking lessons, abiding by the Skier Responsibility Code (known as Your Responsibility Code), obeying the Wisconsin Skier Safety Act, and using common sense.

I understand the boot/binding system which I have rented is designed to reduce the risk of certain injuries to the lower leg. It will not release at all times or under all circumstances where a release may prevent injury, nor is it possible to predict every situation in which it will release. I understand the boot/binding system will not reduce the risk of injury to my knees or other parts of my body. I further understand the boot/binding system does not have a backward release capability and will not release or protect any part of my body in the event of a backward fall. I therefore understand the boot/binding system I have rented CANNOT GUARANTEE MY SAFETY.

In consideration of the rental of the equipment to me by Granite Peak Corporation,
I RELEASE AND FULLY DISCHARGE Granite Peak Corporation, its owners, officers, shareholders, agents and employees (collectively the “GRANITE PEAK RELEASEES”) from any liability resulting from any personal injury to myself, including death, or damage to my property which is caused by the BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY or the NEGLIGENT ACT OR OMISSION of any GRANITE PEAK RELEASEE, including any NEGLIGENT ACT OR OMISSION in:

the selection, installation, adjustment, inspection, maintenance, or repair of the rental equipment;

instructions given or not given to me concerning the equipment or its use;

the design, location, construction, inspection, and maintenance of trails, ski runs, and slopes, including their grooming and modifications to their natural steepness and pitches;

the design, location, construction, inspection, and maintenance of table tops and other jumps, including the angle and length of their approaches, take-off ramps and landing areas;

the design, location, construction, inspection, and maintenance of all other terrain features, including rails, boxes, and pole jams, and the angle and length of their approaches, take-off ramps and landing areas;

grooming, snowmaking, and snowmobile operations and equipment, the operation of chairlifts and conveyor and handle tows, and chairlift and conveyor and handle tow loading, riding, and unloading operations;

the padding or non-padding of natural and man-made obstacles and hazards on, adjacent to, or off the skiable terrain;

the posting or failure to post warnings and signs, and the construction of or non-construction of fences or other barriers, including the selection of the construction materials;

the classification and labeling of trails, ski runs, and terrain features; and

the presence of snowmaking pipes, hydrants, guns, wands, and other snowmaking equipment, light poles, rocks, and trees adjacent to the ski runs.

I accept full responsibility for any injury or damage which may result from use of the rental equipment, and I hereby HOLD HARMLESS the GRANITE PEAK RELEASEES for any injury or damage sustained by me, including death, while using the rental equipment. I agree not to bring any action or lawsuit against any GRANITE PEAK RELEASEE for any injury or damage.

I understand that for a fee of $15.00 per person per day in addition to the normal rental price, Granite Peak offers an optional rental agreement that does not require me to sign a release of liability. In signing this Release of Liability, I acknowledge I am aware of this option offered by Granite Peak and hereby waive my right to purchase the same.

In accordance with Wisconsin law, nothing in this Release of Liability should be construed as releasing, discharging or waiving any claims I may have for reckless or intentional acts on the part of any GRANITE PEAK RELEASEE.

In the event I am signing as a parent or guardian of a minor, I represent I have full authority to do so, realizing this Release of Liability is binding upon the minor as well as myself.

I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS RENTAL AGREEMENT AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS. I AM AWARE THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY, I AM WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS FOR MYSELF AND/OR MY CHILD, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO SUE GRANITE PEAK CORPORATION, ITS OWNERS, OFFICERS, SHAREHOLDERS, AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES FOR CERTAIN CLAIMS.

CAUTION: READ BEFORE SIGNING! THIS DOCUMENT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND WILL BAR YOUR RIGHT TO SUE!

Last edited:

C-Rex

I'm not saying I totally agree with Highway Star but I get what he's saying. Everytime something like this happens, people come up with all sorts of knee-jerk reactions thinking that some change will ensure it never happens again. The fact is skiing and snowboarding are dangerous sports. It ultimately comes down to the responsibility of the person to ensure their own safety. If the sign post wasn't there, it could've been a tree, or a rock, or another person, etc. There is no way to make the sport 100% safe. All we can do is educate ourselves, wear protective equipment, and do our best to minimize risks. But the fact remains that even with all that, injuries and deaths will still happen. If you can't handle that, stay home.

I'm really tired of the way our society tries to assign blame for every injury or death that occurs, and never want to say it was the victims fault, especially if the person is young. I don't know nearly enough about this incident to comment on it in particular. But very often, it is the victim's decisions and actions that lead to their demise. My heart goes out to this kid's friends and family. I'm sure they are devastated, but assigning undue blame will not bring their son back and it will not prevent the accident from happening.

MadMadWorld

Just because all skiers agree to this release of liability doesn't mean that the resort shouldn't try to mitigate risk. It's bad publicity to have someone die at your mountain....period