• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another Death at Cannon

BodeMiller1

Some one died in a hiking fall at Cannon over the weekend. Not many details butt, it looks like three people took the tram to the top, then hiked down until they got "stuck" in an old rock slide. At some point, the path turned into a waterfall and one of the hikers lost their footing and fell to their death. Not sure if it was on the ski area side of not (pretty sure it's closed to hikers (bears)). From the report it could have happened anywhere. I'm guessing lookers left of the tram?

2Planker

"....The group wasn't following a hiking trail and thought they were on a ski trail, according to the NH Fish and Game. They got to a steep, rocky part with a waterfall.

"As the group tried to maneuver their way down, one of the hikers slipped causing him to fall off the edge. The two other members called 911 for assistance as they could no longer see their companion," NH Fish and Game said.

The man was found dead at the bottom of the waterfall. His identity has not been released at this time...."

ceo

It sounds like they thought they were on Kinsman Glade, which coincides with the Kinsman Ridge Trail. Maybe they got too far to skier's right?
Or, looking at Google Maps, there's what appears to be an unofficial ski trail visible between Vista Way and the KRT (which jogs way over toward the cliff after it splits from the Kinsman Glade traverse). Maybe that's what they found themselves on.

BodeMiller1

So, he was carried to the tram parking lot. There are a lot of steep areas up from the front five and it only gets worse toward the cliff. I'm guessing he slid on loose rock and then...

As we all know, if you're going to do this it's better to climb up than scramble down. I feel sorry for the other two not easy to see your buddy die like that.

2Planker

So, he was carried to the tram parking lot. There are a lot of steep areas up from the front five and it only gets worse toward the cliff. I'm guessing he slid on loose rock and then...

As we all know, if you're going to do this it's better to climb up than scramble down. I feel sorry for the other two not easy to see your buddy die like that.
They only saw him fall........ Never knew how he landed or if he survived. Just that he was not responding

It was a very ugly scene
https://nhmrs.org/

Puck it

They were following Tram Brook which is between Tramline and Kinsman Glade. The upper section is very steep and is the same spot that the guy fell to his death when he went to take a piss. I believe it was less than years ago. The bottom section of Tram Brook is very skiable after it freezes and is a variation for the bottom of the Kinsman Glade as they are very close at the bottom. It dumps you back out to Tramline.

Smellytele

They were following Tram Brook which is between Tramline and Kinsman Glade. The upper section is very steep and is the same spot that the guy fell to his death when he went to take a piss. I believe it was less than years ago. The bottom section of Tram Brook is very skiable after it freezes and is a variation for the bottom of the Kinsman Glade as they are very close at the bottom. It dumps you back out to Tramline.
I have skied that lower section before.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
It sounds like they thought they were on Kinsman Glade, which coincides with the Kinsman Ridge Trail. Maybe they got too far to skier's right?
Or, looking at Google Maps, there's what appears to be an unofficial ski trail visible between Vista Way and the KRT (which jogs way over toward the cliff after it splits from the Kinsman Glade traverse). Maybe that's what they found themselves on.
There is the Kinsman hiking trail parallel to Kinsman glade but I’m unfamiliar with a waterfall or rockslide there. Is there?

Here‘s the story from Fish and Game: https://nhfishgame.com/2022/08/22/hiker-dies-on-cannon-mountain/

Last edited:

ceo

There is the Kinsman hiking trail parallel to Kinsman glade but I’m unfamiliar with a waterfall or rockslide there. Is there?
The trail coincides with Kinsman Glade for most of its length below Tower 2. I've hiked up it once and skied down it several times and haven't seen anything like that.

Granite1

This screen shot of Cannon Mountain shows the steep slope to the skier's right of Kinsman where the accident took place.

Attachments

• Screenshot (182).png
    Screenshot (182).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 78

BodeMiller1

I think the two survivors were charged by the state? Adding insult to injury. Good for Fish and Game or whom ever brought the charges. There is too much of this happening. At any rate, they're dropping like flies in the mountains, file under sad, but true. 🌲

2Planker

I think the two survivors were charged by the state? Adding insult to injury. Good for Fish and Game or whom ever brought the charges. There is too much of this happening. At any rate, they're dropping like flies in the mountains, file under sad, but true. 🌲
Damn right they did !!!
That carry out was a huge challenge for those 25+ individuals who had other things planned that day.

Now, especially in NH, you are going to get a $$$$$ bill for any rescue that could/should have been avoided.
Stupidity can absolutely cost you.
About time,

ThatGuy

City slickers who think a day in the mountains is the same as a walk to Whole Foods should pay for their follies.

2Planker

Wifey just saw the North Woods Law episode w/ the knuckleheads who went OOB at the Loaf and had a 60 man rescue party go out all night after them....

Been there done that, many times. No fun for NO PAY.
Next step is to get $$$$ to those "volunteers" who answer the call to help some idiot(s)

Granite1

urungus

Could’ve saved themselves a lot of time and money if they did some research. Nature isn’t an amusement park; death or serious injuries are possible.

Hmm .. it seems like they might still be liable even if they had one of those cards, the wording is contradictory and confusing … “People who obtain the cards are not liable to repay rescue costs if they need to be rescued. An individual may still be liable for response expenses if the actions that created the need for the emergency response meet criteria set forth by legislation (RSA 206:26-bb).”