• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak and I are not BFFs.

dlague

The snow was actually quite good. It started as packed powder and only softened up somewhat later in the afternoon. And there was plenty of it.

I honestly don't mind slow lifts, if they are in proper context. I don't expect a Plattekill to have the fanciest of everything. But Jay is different. They have dumped countless millions of dollars into the place, but the lift system has not benefited from this. Knowing this is somewhat maddening. Trailboss has a very good point about EB-5 funds not being able to be allocated toward lifts, but it nonetheless leaves a bad taste in your mouth. And I am never going to like the tram. I recalled not liking it when I was last there 25 years ago. My main gripe with the tram is that it moves so few people up the hill. I really wish they had a gondola instead. But it is what it is.

Understanding that I'm not a tree skier, my non-lift gripe was that I didn't do nearly as much fall line skiing as I would have liked. Since I was with my family, we stuck to the intermediate trails, so perhaps the problem seemed worse to me than it should have.

Some of the glades are actually not that bad and open up - I do not like tight glades but there are glades that can be quite fun to try and I am not talking about the blue glades either.

You should try to ski with a local - wait you are a local (kind of) - ok a local who skis Jay Peak regularly. They may show you some runs that entertain more!

hammer

Only been to Jay once, was after a rain/freeze event in February so it was cold and icy. Never bothered with the tram, too crowded. Riding the freezer was tough but there was never any real line. Lots of scraped trails but the glades were still open and the low angle ones I sampled were a lot of fun.

Was a good experience but until I'm at the skill level to appreciate the woods in all honesty it would not be worth the drive.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tram vs Gondola: When Weyerhaeuser owned it, they put the Tram in. I imagine that it was in part because to draw folks year round as a tourist attraction and in large part because at that time that was the technology to use with that terrain (assuming you ran a lift from base to summit). The summit cliffs are quite steep (obviously) and I don't foresee how they could run a gondola up that aspect. Remember that waaaay back in the day they DID have a double chair that ran to the summit from a different aspect.

It is an older tram and has limited capacity. It is tiny in comparison to Jackson's or Snowbird's. Cost was probably an issue. I was a bit surprised that they did not use larger cabs on it in 2000 or so when they upgraded it. Again, I imagine the cost of new haul ropes, drive, and other hardware for larger cabs was cost prohibitive.

WoodCore

I enjoy skiing at Jay and they do get lots of snow but think it's a tad bit over-rated. Not even close to being the best tree/glade skiing in the Northeast. :stirpot:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
They have dumped countless millions of dollars into the place, but the lift system has not benefited from this. Knowing this is somewhat maddening. Trailboss has a very good point about EB-5 funds not being able to be allocated toward lifts, but it nonetheless leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

When the news was released last spring that the Powerline High Speed 6 lift was not going to be built and the Old Bonneventure Quad was just going to be shorten to make room for the Stateside Hotel, a lot of people were saying the same thing about Jay's antiquated lift system. More info here: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...an-(2011-2016)?p=780611&viewfull=1#post780611

VTKilarney

The summit cliffs are quite steep (obviously) and I don't foresee how they could run a gondola up that aspect.

I have a vague recollection of riding a gondola up some pretty steep terrain, but I can't remember where. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I could be thinking of crossing some canyons in Europe, rather than going up a very steep slope itself.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have a vague recollection of riding a gondola up some pretty steep terrain, but I can't remember where. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I could be thinking of crossing some canyons in Europe, rather than going up a very steep slope itself.

No doubt. The technology (probably) exists today, but not in the late 1960's...at least not feasibly.

If you are ever bored, you can probably read online about the tales of the ORIGINAL Killington Gondola project that bankrupt the manufacturer and nearly sank the resort because of its length and two turn stations.

legalskier

I'm all set with Jay. Wasted about $600 and 5 hours of driving to ski off the Jet and Bonnie for a few days with a bunch of roped off trails and glades that were listed as open on the trail report.

My last trip to WF doesn't seem so bad after all....

skiNEwhere

If jay had all new high speed lifts and a high capacity tram, the group of people who like jay the way it is now would complain that the mountain gets tracked out way too fast on a powder day.

Just goes to show you can't please everyone

dlague

If jay had all new high speed lifts and a high capacity tram, the group of people who like jay the way it is now would complain that the mountain gets tracked out way too fast on a powder day.

Exactly!

VTKilarney

But that ship has really sailed with all of the development on the mountain. It is a resort now.

thetrailboss

Staff member

They are already complaining.....

Big Wave Dave

Jay and Burke are actually perfect compliments, its a shame they are not a bit closer so you could support a more viable dual ticket. what jay lacks in pure trail skiing burke offers. Jay is NOT the place to go if you like to ski trails. I actually dont ski jay any more on weekends, nor will I ski there unless its a powder day or right after. Since I am retired I have the leisure to do this. But when you hit it right, you really cant find much better anywhere, and I have skied all over the world.

but as I think you have already figured out, if you like to ski classic new england trails or even wide open groomed bombers, stick with your burke pass and only head to jay when you want the powder or woods. Jay;s flat runout and cattrack layout is not that great.

gladerider

Not even close to being the best tree/glade skiing in the Northeast. :stirpot:

ah, ok, you mind sharing where the best is then? thanks.

to the OP, i personally can't see how people can appreciate jay much when they are not crazy about fresh pow and glades as many already mentioned, especially in mid april.

VTKilarney

to the OP, i personally can't see how people can appreciate jay much when they are not crazy about fresh pow and glades as many already mentioned, especially in mid april.

Agreed. It seems like it's just that the mountain is not a good fit for me. It's not the mountain's fault - and I am not necessarily the typical skier. Some mountains are good for some people, and not for others. Variety is not a bad thing.

On other hand, even if I was a passionate glades skier, I would still hate that tram.

Cannonball

I skied Jay Peak today for the first time in about 25 years. After skiing it today, I don't really get the hype.

I appreciate that they get a lot of snow, and I may be missing something since I'm not a glades skier,

I stopped reading here. Lots of snow and amazing trees are what Jay is. That's all it is and all it needs to be.

legalskier

Agreed. It seems like it's just that the mountain is not a good fit for me. It's not the mountain's fault - and I am not necessarily the typical skier. Some mountains are good for some people, and not for others.

So, what kind of skier are you? What are you looking for in a mountain?