• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top 10 East Coast Ski Resorts Under 1100

abc

Wow, nothing like a "top 10 list" of the most cheezy kind to bring out the participation of the almost dead board!

If they only add "in Mid-Atlantic" on that sub-1100 mountain list, it'll probably be a lot closer to reality.

But who wants to admit the mid-Atlantic can't hold a candle to New England? I mean, if you already chose to live in Mid-Atlantic in the first place...

Personally, I never care for any top-whatever list. Each mountain caters to a different crowd with different priority. Sometimes, I'm one of those "different crowd". Other times I'm the few on a particular mountain. So what if others don't join me? ;) I freely admit I have eccentric taste. I see no need to reaffirm that my taste is shared by largest possible number of others equally eccentric! :beer:

dlague

Black Mountain in NH is 1100 ft and that is a pretty fun little guy! Then again we probably ski at resorts that are 1100 ft or less about 3-4 times per season primarily due to opportunity more than desire. In other words, I am skiing there because of a comp or really good deal. This year we skied Pats Peak (very well run and close), Black Mountain NH (vintage), Dartmouth Skiway (just to say we have been there done that) and Suicide Six (nostalgic) all on comp, comp, local dollar saver ($22) and Fox 44 card respectively.

In the past we also visited Crotched, Whaleback and a very long time ago King Pine.

Funny that only Suicide Six was named since it is not the best one mentioned in this post. That list is focused predominately on areas where 1100 ft or less resorts are more common.

4aprice

Lost in this discussion is the overall rankings, which have Gunstock as the top NH resort, and a spot below Camelback.
http://unofficialnetworks.com/snow-east-magazine-ranks-124132/

Again its all about what and how the questions are phrased. Notice there are all sorts of categories they rank. I took the Ski Magazine survey several years ago and they limited (or attempted to) answers to areas one had skied in only the previous season. Like I said Camelback distributes the magazine several places around the resort. We may all agree that a place like Gunstock with its higher vertical and snowfall is better skiing, but I would bet due to its location Camelback has better attendance figures which probably translates into more votes and a higher ranking.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

FWIW: Black Mt. lists its vertical as 1150; Gunstock as 1400'. So neither qualifies for a list of "Best areas under 1100' vertical".

Onthesnow.com has Black listed as 1100 which is where I looked.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

jack97

WaWa is not entirely locals either. It pulls a lot from RI and CT, which I've never understood. The extra drive time to Crotched is made up in lift time very quickly. More directly to the point, the average WaWa skier is not generating the kind of per visit revenue this magazine caters to. They don't stay in hotels, eat out, etc.

My point was this list is largely driven by a mid-Atlantic mindset and crowd. There is no Crotched, Shawnee, etc. NH and ME have plenty of qualifying hills. The only reason Suicide Six made the list is that occasionally a mid-Atlantic skier will stop there as a diversion from the other southern VT areas.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Yep, now i understand.

Wawa grooms the crap out of their snow and they have two high speed quads that services the summit and mid mountain trails. That's prolly the reason they get visits from RI and CT.

BMac

Website
apod.nasa.gov
I visited a friend in Lake George once and he pointed Hickory out to me. Place looks really bad ass. Does it get tracked out quick on a powder day or is it totally off the radar for Albany area skiers?

Hickory is a small mountain with maybe 8 trails so they will get tracked out but this is not necessarily a bad thing. There are LOTS of large sharp rocks that can hide and it is nice when someone has discovered them before you. The trees will never track out and there is substantial side country.

It is also only open Saturday and Sunday so those midweek powder days remain mostly untouched until the weekend.

boston_e

I haven't skied all of the on the list, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Pats Peak

thetrailboss

Staff member
[h=2]Top* 10 East Coast Ski Resorts Under 1100′[/h]
  1. [h=3]Ski Butternut, MA[/h]
  2. [h=3]Camelback, PA[/h]
  3. [h=3]Holiday Valley, NY[/h]
  4. [h=3]Plattekill Mountain, NY[/h]
  5. [h=3]Blue Mountain, PA[/h]
  6. [h=3]Lost Valley, ME[/h]
  7. [h=3]Elk Mountain, PA[/h]
  8. [h=3]Wachusett Mountain, MA[/h]
  9. [h=3]Suicide Six, VT[/h]
  10. [h=3]Mountain Peter, NY[/h]
saw this list recently published (republished?). Having revisited Butternut for the first time in 20 years i was pleasantly surprised at how "pretty good" it was. I don't think i hit the busiest of days and that can certainly transform a place from good to crap based on how they manage it (not saying they manage good or bad) but i'll be checking it out a few more times next year too. Especially with the decent CSC discount.

* Snow East Magazine

They're baaaaaaccccckkkkk! This magazine's list is usually pretty bad. No Crotched? No Pats? Middlebury?

AdironRider

I'll just come out and say it, what would Middlebury replace on this list? I've never been impressed with the college areas, Dartmouth included as well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'll just come out and say it, what would Middlebury replace on this list? I've never been impressed with the college areas, Dartmouth included as well.

That's fair. Both are pretty simple. But they're much bigger than S6. And I've never heard of "Mountain Peter."

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I haven't skied all those mountains but Camelback and Blue are not in the same league with Plattekill IMO.

I think Mt Abram in Maine is just over 1100 vert.

The Sneak

Wawa pass holder forever here....berkshire east and black Mtn nh are awesome by any reasonable standard when the snow is good.

Never skied butternut. Crotched is also superior to wawa but coming from southern RI...just a bit too far to hit up on a weekly basis.

Cannonball

Wachusett is the only one on the list I've skied so I can't really comment about the list. But is there any justification for picking 1,100'?? That seems a like an odd number (I mean unusual, I realize it's an even number). It seems like 1,000' would be a more straightforward cutoff point. Are they intentionally trying to squeeze specific mountains (Platty & Blue) on to a list?