• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

WWF-VT

Not that very many people have access to it, but you can add The Hermitage Club to the list of unopened VT areas. And the rumor that I heard from a reliable source is that when they can finish making enough snow to open (and depending on how much "damage" this weeks blowtorch does it could be just a day or 2 of snowmaking to open with what they've made already), that it still might be mid to late January before their new 6 pack heated bubble opens because of a bit of an oversight in it's main power line......

Unless you shelled out big bucks to be a member - who cares if The Hermitage Club isn't open and about the delayed opening of a heated 6 pack.

slatham

yeggous, you a real weatherman? I am just a weather nut who studied meteorology - and pays for a couple of "pro" sites to get more data. Love to have a true pro chime in with their thoughts!

yeggous

yeggous, you a real weatherman? I am just a weather nut who studied meteorology - and pays for a couple of "pro" sites to get more data. Love to have a true pro chime in with their thoughts!

Yes, I even have a PhD specializing in mountain meteorology. You could argue that two months ago I stopped being an meteorologist and sold out. I just started a more lucrative job working for a mapping company. Up until then I worked on weather and climate risk for insurance services and supply chain.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Very cool. I am sure you changed careers to feed your ski addiction :spread:

Have you seen the GFS and Euro ensemble 500M maps for Jan 2nd? Looks like the opposite of now - pattern change coming. Hope it locks in. Come on baby!!!:snow:

tnt1234

i just bailed on southern vt., and will be heading to stowe/jay for monday tues. Largely based on colder temps up north on sunday maybe creating a little snow?

Hoping tuesdays snow comes early in the day while we are skiing. Not sure we could shift to wednesday if it actually comes through.

But forecasts seem to favor norther VT for slightly colder temps between now and then. Can drive yourself crazy trying to catch a few good days.....

dlague

So ... Ride and Ski NE cancelled their event (tour stop and party) at Magic on December 26th. I guess they think no one will show up with out snow and chairs running. Go figure!

tnt1234

So ... Ride and Ski NE cancelled their event (tour stop and party) at Magic on December 26th. I guess they think no one will show up with out snow and chairs running. Go figure!

Prudent.

MadMadWorld

I can't get a hold of anyone at Magic to find out but does anyone know if they are planning to anything for those of us who have the White Out pass? I just lost half the days I can ski.

Newpylong

Just took a look at VT, NH, ME and NY and there is quite a list of unopened ski areas. I assume very little is open in CT, MA, and PA as well. This seems unprecedented and the worst part, many will not open until 2016. Wow, just WOW!

VT
Suicide Six
Magic Mountain
Bolton Valley
Mad River Glen
Q Burke Mountain Resorts
Pico Mountain

NH
Black Mountain
Granite Gorge
Crotched Mountain
King Pine
Gunstock
Dartmouth Skiway
Attitash
Tenney Mountain
Whaleback Mountain

ME
Big Squaw Mountain Ski Resort
Camden Snow Bowl
Lost Valley
Mt. Jefferson
New Hermon Mountain
Saddleback
Shawnee Peak

NY
Tuxedo Ridge at Sterling Forest
Titus Mountain
Holimont Ski Area
Willard Mountain
West Mountain
Mount Peter Ski Area
Labrador Mt.
Brantling Ski Slopes
Oak Mountain
Woods Valley Ski Area
Swain
Song Mountain
Snow Ridge
Greek Peak
Plattekill Mountain
Royal Mountain Ski Area
Peek'n Peak
McCauley Mountain Ski Center
Maple Ski Ridge
Dry Hill Ski Area
Catamount
Holiday Mountain
Toggenburg Mountain
Kissing Bridge
Hunt Hollow Ski Club
Thunder Ridge
Buffalo Ski Club Ski Area
Hickory Ski Center

Puke.

JamaicaMan

Looking forward to this being covered with snow on Tuesday. And, Magic fb page says snowmaking starts Sunday. Big week ahead...ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1451146338.329566.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone