• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

Sorcerer

To insert some reality into this thread otherwise it's just a love fest. Haven't been there lately, maybe twice since they reopened but I can assure you I skied Magic many times way before most of you stepped foot on the mountain. That includes the faithful. It was actually very nice at one time with it's Swiss themed hotels & base lodge. That changed a long time ago.

I doubt that you were there before me. But, if you were, that makes you old enough to get real cranky waiting in line for the bathroom at the overcrowded chalet. I'm sure that skiing Magic, maybe twice as you said(hard to count above 2), since it reopened 18 years ago makes you a real expert. Get a life.

Newpylong

If Magic were my hill I would correct inaccuracies but refrain from arguing with persons with an agenda. Not worth your time. :flag:

slatham

Yeah, whenever someone does something utterly stupid and embarrassing this season, we'll say he pulled a "Steamer". I can see is providing some significant comic relief this winter.

Meanwhile, in So VT this morning and I saw the temp in the 40's for the first time this season (my first time at least). Some leaves are starting to change, trails getting mowed. It's getting close!

THINK SNOW!

Do Work

Yeah, whenever someone does something utterly stupid and embarrassing this season, we'll say he pulled a "Steamer". I can see is providing some significant comic relief this winter.

Meanwhile, in So VT this morning and I saw the temp in the 40's for the first time this season (my first time at least). Some leaves are starting to change, trails getting mowed. It's getting close!

THINK SNOW!

Or ridiculous complaints like not grooming the whole place out on a pow day- total "steamer" haha

BodhiMax

Do all of you negative naysayers see that video?? Strattonize and the mountain and kiss those empty, powderfilled trails goodbye.

I guess you're referring in part to me. And, if I come across as negative - sorry - I view it as realistic; others see it as negative. So be it. And, I'm not interested in Strattonizing the place either - Bromleyize is probably a better word. In any event, I wish only the best for the mountain; would prefer the trails stay relatively empty as well, just not too empty.

MadMadWorld

Bring on the attackers but I don't give a fawk!

There have been some nice incremental improvements despite limited resources. And that is by no means a knock on the folks who have dedicated countless volunteer hours. BUT I also see some things that they have dropped the ball on that are easily within their control.

1. Horribly inaccurate snow reports. Pretty much every time I go now there are trails reportedly open but roped off when I get to it. I would chalk it up as a mistake but when it happens multiple days in a row? I realize staffing is limited and legally all trails have to be checked by staff but why couldn't they have a few volunteers who ski/ride questionable trails at the end of the day to give the report more accuracy?

2. I know there some changes in Patrol but the way they decide whether a trail is open or closed is atrocious. Their marketing slogan does not align with their policies. I've seen trails in prime condition have a rope across it and I have also seen trails open that require you to take your skis off (Green Line)
3. Hypocritical staff - I get called stupid for ducking a rope but an employee and his buddies go right under a rope without a second thought? Yea and these weren't patrollers. I really didn't give a fawk and skied right past those m effers but someone else might find it obnoxious.

I hope a change in management does the mountain good because it really undermined what all the volunteers have been trying to accomplish in recent years.

Do Work

Bring on the attackers but I don't give a fawk!

There have been some nice incremental improvements despite limited resources. And that is by no means a knock on the folks who have dedicated countless volunteer hours. BUT I also see some things that they have dropped the ball on that are easily within their control.

1. Horribly inaccurate snow reports. Pretty much every time I go now there are trails reportedly open but roped off when I get to it. I would chalk it up as a mistake but when it happens multiple days in a row? I realize staffing is limited and legally all trails have to be checked by staff but why couldn't they have a few volunteers who ski/ride questionable trails at the end of the day to give the report more accuracy?

2. I know there some changes in Patrol but the way they decide whether a trail is open or closed is atrocious. Their marketing slogan does not align with their policies. I've seen trails in prime condition have a rope across it and I have also seen trails open that require you to take your skis off (Green Line)
3. Hypocritical staff - I get called stupid for ducking a rope but an employee and his buddies go right under a rope without a second thought? Yea and these weren't patrollers. I really didn't give a fawk and skied right past those m effers but someone else might find it obnoxious.

I hope a change in management does the mountain good because it really undermined what all the volunteers have been trying to accomplish in recent years.

I actually agree with all of those. Snow report and communication with patrol is a huge deal going forward and definitely a priority.

There will never be a rope up on green though. Some stuff you will probably have to just use your judgement on for the most part. I do see the issue with that though.

Hado226

If it were up to me, there'd never be a rope on any double black trail. That demarcation says it all. Experts only, if you screw up, rescue will take a while.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

benski

If it were up to me, there'd never be a rope on any double black trail. That demarcation says it all. Experts only, if you screw up, rescue will take a while.

I know some mountains set the bar for closed trails at where they can't safely take you down I the sled.

Do Work

I know some mountains set the bar for closed trails at where they can't safely take you down I the sled.

This is basically how Magic has been deciding it, but with a weirdly sliding scale of willingness with no discernible regularity. It has definitely been frustrating.

Do Work

Great video. Not hard to see why you folks love Magic. Really hope that the new owners give it some TLC and keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I'll try to dig up some more tomorrow when I'm on a real computer. Maybe I can track down Rusty's groomer vid too. The groomed terrain has really been the unsung hero of late. I feel like everyone knows Magic has great trees but the strides made on the cord has been uncanny.

Hado226

That's Magic's patrol policy, depends which red coats are on the hill.

Could make for day to day inconsistencies wrt closures.

There's a few I'd feel comfortable behind for a sled ride down Master, others Trick late in the day would be a gamble.

cdskier

I realize staffing is limited and legally all trails have to be checked by staff but why couldn't they have a few volunteers who ski/ride questionable trails at the end of the day to give the report more accuracy?

Do they legally have to check all trails? I've always wondered whether patrol always checks a trail before opening it. I could understand having to sweep all open trails at the end of the day, so if that is what you mean, then that would make sense to me. Otherwise at least at other areas I've definitely had first tracks down trails which implies no one actually checked the trail in the morning. Although I guess if they know nothing substantial should have changed overnight then I could understand a trail not being checked in the morning before letting skiers on it if it was open the day before. I'm still also kind of thinking I've seen ropes dropped on trails without them being physically checked, but I could be wrong.