• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

prsboogie

In all seriousness, I have to groms that are 7 and 9 and I have yet to make it up there because of the, well extreme rep of the place. I have to get there this year for sure but I almost never go skiing without them. I have no doubt there is terrain there for them but is it enough for them to ski the whole day? They do a pretty damn good job and really aren't fearful of trying new stuff but I also want them to have an enjoyable day. Billski did a nice write up about the family aspect of the place and I love the stoke and witty banter of the mags and really need to be part of the party. Thoughts?

MadMadWorld

What's the deal with Black Magic? I went to ski it from the top of black chair once last winter and a patroller in the shack immediately yelled for me to stop. I turned around, engaged in conversation and was told by the guy that it's permanently closed above Black Line, by the state of VT, due to the chairs being too close to the ground.

BM was not roped off, black chair was not running, and coverage was pretty thick that day.

Is BM really permanently closed or is this another example of ski patrol antics ppl are complaining about and hopefully will change?

Well if that is case then Madonna Liftline and the upper part of Lookout at Stowe would be closed as well (I know that part is only open when chair isn't running).

With that being said, Black Magic requires not just a shit load of snow bit the heavy compact kind. The trail is pretty much one big rocky ledge. I skied it a few times on a 60 degree spring day a couple of years ago and it's quite a challenge. I only skied it that day because the snow was great and the bear spots were the only places you needed to avoid. Black was running that day so I was able to pick my lines ahead of time. I probably wouldn't have skied it otherwise. For the record, it was closed that day but because of Magic's boundary to boundary policy I just entered through the woods a little further down. Patrol saw me and didn't give a shit at all. I think a few even cheered me on from the lift.

I have a pic or two from a TR.

Tin

^^^ Just repeating what I was told by a patrol. At the I found the story hard to believe as well but didn't have much power to argue.

Upon skiing some stuff MMW, Savemeasammy, and myself were asked by a patrol member if we were stupid. Since it was a question and not an authoritative statement about us ducking I didn't mind.

MadMadWorld

Upon skiing some stuff MMW, Savemeasammy, and myself were asked by a patrol member if we were stupid. Since it was a question and not an authoritative statement about us ducking I didn't mind.

It would be hard to argue with her if it was a statement!

Do Work

In all seriousness, I have to groms that are 7 and 9 and I have yet to make it up there because of the, well extreme rep of the place. I have to get there this year for sure but I almost never go skiing without them. I have no doubt there is terrain there for them but is it enough for them to ski the whole day? They do a pretty damn good job and really aren't fearful of trying new stuff but I also want them to have an enjoyable day. Billski did a nice write up about the family aspect of the place and I love the stoke and witty banter of the mags and really need to be part of the party. Thoughts?

Don't hold back, the kids would love it. We have two- last year they were 8 & 10 and they were total beginners. They could barely get anywhere on skis. Long story short they caught on really quickly and never want to ski anywhere else now. If your kids are decent skiers they will be totally fine right off the bat. One thing that is hugely underrated is the lack of people going downhill around you which means you aren't threading needles in a crowd and they don't have to worry about being crushed from behind by a flailer. In that sense, that can be on more challenging terrain and simply work on it at their own speed without external factors messing with their progress. It helps a ton.

The more adventurous they want to get the more there will be for them too. The east side has tons (even kid friendly trees!) and Wizard is friendlier than it gets credit for so they can feel like badasses for skiing the West side. Also if they can ski on their own it's great because all the trails empty down to the same spot. Tubing is fully visible from the bar haha... It's a friendly place. The kids will have a blast and more than likely there will be other kids to pair them up with.

Last edited:

prsboogie

Don't hold back, the kids would love it. We have two- last year they were 8 & 10 and they were total beginners. They could barely get anywhere on skis. Long story short they caught on really quickly and never want to ski anywhere else now. If your kids are decent skiers they will be totally fine right off the bat. One thing that is hugely underrated is the lack of people going downhill around you which means you aren't threading needles in a crowd and they don't have to worry about being crushed from behind by a flailer. In that sense, that can be on more challenging terrain and simply work on it at their own speed without external factors messing with their progress. It helps a ton.

The more adventurous they want to get the more there will be for them too. The east side has tons (even kid friendly trees!) and Wizard is friendlier than it gets credit for so they can feel like badasses for skiing the West side. Also if they can ski on their own it's great because all the trails empty down to the same spot. Tubing is fully visible from the bar haha... It's a friendly place. The kids will have a blast and more than likely there will be other kids to pair them up with.

Beer is good, not getting crushed by some jucket would be fabulous. My daughter got taken out by some jackass last season at Stratton, to the point she quit for the day. Nearly ripped the d-bags head off until I realized it would prove nothing and horrify my kids. The mountain was really good for them but I won't be rushing back there after that. And it was not just that, lots of little things.

I will definitely hit it up this year though, gotta do it! Hopefully we have a repeat of last season. Thanks for the beta!!

jrmagic

Beer is good, not getting crushed by some jucket would be fabulous. My daughter got taken out by some jackass last season at Stratton, to the point she quit for the day. Nearly ripped the d-bags head off until I realized it would prove nothing and horrify my kids. The mountain was really good for them but I won't be rushing back there after that. And it was not just that, lots of little things.

I will definitely hit it up this year though, gotta do it! Hopefully we have a repeat of last season. Thanks for the beta!!

Definitely do it. I watched the Do work groms go from tow rope to lift and they did great. My kids learned to ski at Magic and I can't think of many better places once they are lift ready. Uncrowded slopes are very kids friendly and there is plenty to hold their attention. Hope to see you there this winter. Nice pic Rusty. Not sure what happened but after Do works post my phone had a mind of its own and gave me a video of Dowork skiing black magic to sex machine lol! Talk about August stoke!!

RustyGroomer

Grom DeDoWork can guide. Seriously, the kids will love it.
attachment.php
My guys at Ragged Mountain This past February

Attachments

• Ethan.jpg
    Ethan.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 165

slatham

I would go for it prsboogie. I would add to the above that Magic has much more groomed terrain than people realize. When they have enough snow for all the beginner and intermediate terrain to be open there are tons of options for the kids, most of it groomed. And the lack of crowds on the trail cannot be underestimated.

Savemeasammy

Not to mention the single base area....

And the really cool family vibe...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

I would go for it prsboogie. I would add to the above that Magic has much more groomed terrain than people realize. When they have enough snow for all the beginner and intermediate terrain to be open there are tons of options for the kids, most of it groomed. And the lack of crowds on the trail cannot be underestimated.

OK I'm in!! I'm sure I could use some tourage as well!! Haven't skied with anyone over the age of 8 in 4 years since starting skiing again after 18 off! 😨

MMP

OK I'm in!! I'm sure I could use some tourage as well!! Haven't skied with anyone over the age of 8 in 4 years since starting skiing again after 18 off! [emoji32]

Meet you at the flagpoles!!