• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Gaperific eastern ski mountain?

Highway Star

What ski area has the highest concentration of gapers with the fewest experts? I nominate Sunday River - the heavy marketing brings in the masses while the lack of snow keeps the experts away. I bet Okemo is a close second.

Killington has plenty of gapers, but also its fair share of experts. I've found Stratton to have some very good skiers especially on a powder day.

skiNEwhere

As far as local, WaWa gets my vote. Close to suburban boston reels them all in

Savemeasammy

What ski area has the highest concentration of gapers with the fewest experts? I nominate Sunday River -

I've never been to SR because I suspect this is probably true. The elevation is weak, and the photos of the place do nothing for me. And frankly I've always been annoyed by the way they try to compare themselves to Killington. Please stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiNEwhere

SR does have some decent trails, I've always found their sprawling terrain to be kind of annoying though. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of resorts if I ranked them from high to low

Domeskier

I suspect most will visitors will find themselves staring agape at the Dark Lord Satan's Awe-inspiring Staircase to the Abyss when Sundown opens this winter. If they can manage to make any snow on it for all the hellfire!

JFP

I don't know if same category, but I always see my good bud 'Joey' at Mt. Snow. Having traveled wide and far, I would vote a definite NO on Sunday River as the most gaperific.

octopus

wawa just gets wayyyy overloaded with people, i've seen it have so many people they can't accept any more.
(wtf?)

killington when the gondola first opens and theres one trail down, you better be on your A game because people are going down everywhere.

Rowsdower

Any of the mountains closest to major urban areas:

Mountain Creek NJ
Camelback
Blue Mountain
Bear Creek
Wachusett

Hunter is actually less bad since it has Hunter One for the learning crowd, and most of the gapers seem to stay down south at Mountain Creek and Camelback.

I've never been to Mohawk Mtn. Does it get crowded as well?

4aprice

Camelback !

That's pretty funny. A lot of it taken on Honeymoon Lane probably the worst trail on the mountain on any day. Don't you just love the roar of the snow guns, the roar of the skis on ice on Margies, and of course the "wall" of people at the bottom of Sullivan Quad. It's all part of the Camelback experience especially during the holidays. But in defense of the place, when its up and running at 100% (which to their credit they do get it all open every year) people are more spread out and its a much better time. I would also say there are places that at least match it with the gaper population (Mountain Creek comes to mind and I know Blue has its share too).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ