• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Gaperific eastern ski mountain?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Any of the mountains closest to major urban areas:

Mountain Creek NJ
Camelback
Blue Mountain
Bear Creek
Wachusett

Hunter is actually less bad since it has Hunter One for the learning crowd, and most of the gapers seem to stay down south at Mountain Creek and Camelback.

I've never been to Mohawk Mtn. Does it get crowded as well?

Except belt parkway......its like roller derby on skis for me :)

dlague

My kids a couple of years ago skied with hunting clothing at Jay Peak for the hell of it! But they skied face chutes, tuckerman chutes etc. however hunting jackets at Jay Peak might qualify as old school though.

xlr8r

Sunapee IMO. Its for the weekend day trip gapers that think they need a better mountain than Wawa.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've heard of the horror stories from the Poconos and Mountain Creek. Never skied those places though. Thunder Ridge maybe? But its been years since I've skied there. Its a shame, because its 20 minutes from my house.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've never been to Mohawk Mtn. Does it get crowded as well?

Never. There's no terrain park, so that keeps the mouth breathers away. Over the last 5 years all but one lift has been replaced. On Friday nights there's a five chair wait, tops. Same with Saturday's. Its a laid back atmosphere. You can always ride alone on the chairlift if you want to. All the trails are empty, minus the greens and Mohawk. When I get there at 4 on Friday's there's still fresh tracks on the sides of trails.

MadMadWorld

I would add....wherever I am skiing. I tend to embarrass the people I'm with constantly. Mostly getting yelled at for ducking ropes.

skiNEwhere

I would add....wherever I am skiing. I tend to embarrass the people I'm with constantly. Mostly getting yelled at for ducking ropes.

The key is in areas with boundary to boundary skiing is to cut through the woods. Less risk of getting caught by ski patrol in the process and you have a somewhat plausible story. ;)

MadMadWorld

The key is in areas with boundary to boundary skiing is to cut through the woods. Less risk of getting caught by ski patrol in the process and you have a somewhat plausible story. ;)

Well in one particular case at a b2b mountain it would have required cutting across 3 closed trails, crossing a brook, bushwacking, and uphill climbing to get to said closed trail if I had indeed entered from an open trail. Not exactly a plausible excuse lol

skiNEwhere

Well in one particular case at a b2b mountain it would have required cutting across 3 closed trails, crossing a brook, bushwacking, and uphill climbing to get to said closed trail if I had indeed entered from an open trail. Not exactly a plausible excuse lol

Lmao. In that case you should've just went full gaper mode and played dumb "uhhhh, I'm lost, which way is the parking lot?"