• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Season Pass

thetrailboss

Staff member
Took my daughter up to Snowbird this past weekend for Oktoberfest, a Tram Ride, and to get her first season pass. She's three years old. This is the season that we're going to start her skiing. I am so excited. She's excited to have a pass and was showing everyone on the Tram. We'll see skiing goes...

10606609_10152426188459667_4296908830519681998_n.jpg

We're also getting her a pass to Alta because it is $25 and my wife is going to be there. Alta also has a better family vibe and beginner terrain.

Bring on the snow.

And she wants pink skis.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I love it how I ask her where she wants to ski. She automatically says, "Snowbird." Second is "Alta" and third is "Deer Valley."

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hahah. That is awesome! My son is sort of a nervous nelly. Last year he wanted to watch me sled. I'm going to have to be very slow in my introduction of skiing to him

MadMadWorld

Hahah. That is awesome! My son is sort of a nervous nelly. Last year he wanted to watch me sled. I'm going to have to be very slow in my introduction of skiing to him

I'll be up at Wachusett with my daughter this year. I'll look for a guy in a sled ;)

Savemeasammy

My boys couldn't be more different. My 7 year old is fearless, and my 5 year old is a nervous Nellie! Needless to say, my wife and I need to divide and conquer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drjeff

Took my daughter up to Snowbird this past weekend for Oktoberfest, a Tram Ride, and to get her first season pass. She's three years old. This is the season that we're going to start her skiing. I am so excited. She's excited to have a pass and was showing everyone on the Tram. We'll see skiing goes...

10606609_10152426188459667_4296908830519681998_n.jpg

We're also getting her a pass to Alta because it is $25 and my wife is going to be there. Alta also has a better family vibe and beginner terrain.

Bring on the snow.

And she wants pink skis.

:thumbup:

Awesome TB!!

Speaking from the Dad perspective who at one point also had a 3 year old daughter on skis, do your best to get her say a light blue or a purple outfit (anything but pink!) since there will always be about 3,752 little girls in pink outfits, but hardly any in other colors, and it will make YOUR job as a parent trying to observe her from afar in ski school about 1000% easier :)

jimk

She looks pretty in pink TB!

They are all different. I introduced my four kids to skiing at around age five. Probably all three of my daughters started off faster than my son, who was pretty cautious. All I can say is just keep exposing them to any kind of fun on snow. Something clicked with my son at the relatively late age of 12 or 13 and after that it was always him that was waiting at the bottom of the ski hill for the rest of us to finish our runs. Now he's a dynamo, but in a very controlled sort of way.
5386486680027.jpg

4aprice

I would say "Happy Trails" and "Good Luck" to any of you getting your offspring into skiing and on to the snow. Skiing along with boating in the warm weather have worked out as great family sports/recreation for us. There will be many trying times as you do it but the payoff in the long run is well worth it. Patience of course is the biggest key. My daughter almost put a real crimp in our skiing as she pretty much quit at one point, but we never forced her to go, made what ever arrangements we could, and lo and behold she returned to the sport with more enthusiasm then before and started to use it as a spring board to her career in education. Use what ever you can to make the enjoyment factor bigger. We used tip seperators for our son (didn't have to for the girl) and that really got him going. Getting them into a weekly program when they first started on family vacations was a big boost. The more days on the better they get. There will be days that stick out in your mind as you see the progression and something snap in. I remember the first time they "took off" on us on Rangeview at Bretton Woods, looking down and seeing them 500 yards down racing before we knew it. Another first this year that I look forward to is the fact that my daughter turned 21 over the summer and I can now take her into the bar for an après ski drink. To this day my wife and I are still surprised in that the kids (21 & 18 still always want to go on trips with us. Its a great way to family bond.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

That's great that your daugter appears to be enthusiastic to go skiing TB. I started my daughter around the same age also, can't remember if she was 3 or 4. I never bought her a season pass but she was 6 years old for many years because she skied free at that age. As was mentioned putting her in a week long ski school class really helps with their advancement. My daughter gave up skiing for 6 years while she was away at college but I'm happy to say she got back into it again last season. She's already itching to go again this year. She's really quite a good skier.

dlague

Congrats to her new pass! That is great - we got our kids into it at that age as well. I actually tethered my youngest when he was two and a half. The other three were put into lessons from the get go. Group lessons during the early season generally means private lesson - at least it did for us. Definitely a great family sport!

SkiFanE

Easy peasy... just bring him along with you guys skiing, he'll hang in lodge, see all the fun. Then when you finally bring him on snow it's not a "new" thing, he's finally a big kid and can wear ski boots. Also...for our 3rd kid the Magic Carpet was available...100x easier than the rope tow my older kids had to use. So by 2.5 he was ready to "Ride the Magic Carpet". We did not ski, we rode the carpet. To get to the start of the carpet, you just had to ski down there..no big deal...eye on the prize. LOL. And it was so dang flat, no way he could ever lose big control. Amazing how a little hill is actually pretty steep to a freefalling 3yo lol. Of course, it cannot be cold and windy and miserable...it was a nice sunny beautiful winter day. He was hooked.

Although if I imagine what wachusetts magic carpet would be like..and I'm scared haha... that place is a zoo. Maybe a small local NH mountain. We'd rent the equipment for $10/day and free ticket...when he was 3 we leased him equipment for winter and he got a real pass. Gotta ingrain in them very young that your family skis, just what you do...no hockey, no winter weekend basketball...you ski. How to raise a ski family lol.

SkiFanE

I would say "Happy Trails" and "Good Luck" to any of you getting your offspring into skiing and on to the snow. Skiing along with boating in the warm weather have worked out as great family sports/recreation for us. There will be many trying times as you do it but the payoff in the long run is well worth it. Patience of course is the biggest key. My daughter almost put a real crimp in our skiing as she pretty much quit at one point, but we never forced her to go, made what ever arrangements we could, and lo and behold she returned to the sport with more enthusiasm then before and started to use it as a spring board to her career in education. Use what ever you can to make the enjoyment factor bigger. We used tip seperators for our son (didn't have to for the girl) and that really got him going. Getting them into a weekly program when they first started on family vacations was a big boost. The more days on the better they get. There will be days that stick out in your mind as you see the progression and something snap in. I remember the first time they "took off" on us on Rangeview at Bretton Woods, looking down and seeing them 500 yards down racing before we knew it. Another first this year that I look forward to is the fact that my daughter turned 21 over the summer and I can now take her into the bar for an après ski drink. To this day my wife and I are still surprised in that the kids (21 & 18 still always want to go on trips with us. Its a great way to family bond.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I think my youngest was 6 when I officially became the slowest skier in the family. Unless we're talking bumps ;)

But I agree...so happy we committed to getting all 3 to be skiers. I see it being the big family bonding activity we will always do together (as long as we keep paying for the lift tickets I suspect haha).

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Nice, TB. My advice is to put in the time and effort in thr next couple of years and you will reap thr benefits later. Make it all about her thr next couple of years. You will have years to ski both with your kids and alone once they no longer want to ski with you and want to ski and hang with their friends. I never really did the ski school thing. I kept them with the wife and I all day. Like someone else said, I started them on the tether, mostly because I could ski more varied terrain with them early on. So, for my kids, skiing was always, from their first day out, about family time for them. I always skied slowly and would aways try and keep slack in the tether line to get them yo check their oen speed and not me with the tether.

Once their skills increased, I did a few private lessons with a great local kid/ instructor, who was able to give them some good pointers that they actually were able to hear and absorb because it didn't come from Dad!!

laxski

My daughter got her 1st pass at 3,the season we bought our place at Mt Snow.We had 14 wonderful seasons skiing as pass-holders but Tomorrow we take her up to Bryant University where she will be playing lacrosse,so her skiing will very limited if at all the next 4 years.No advice but man it sure goes by Fast so enjoy every Run down that mountain