• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2023/2024 Season Passes

snoseek

I hope you, of all people, are watching The Bear. I'd be curious to hear your take.
Season 1 was good. They nailed it right down to sucking water from a quart container lol

cdskier

Where you talking about? My NH neighborhood places all reliably do the classics (stuffed haddock, shrimp pasta, etc, etc) but none are what I would call chef driven, barely chef attended. And don't get me started on the (lack of) wine lists. It's the same three reds and whites by the glass everywhere. Hope you like Meiomi....

And this is why I love the prevalence of BYOB here in NJ...and think the people that keep advocating for "more/easier liquor licenses" for restaurants here are nuts...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I worked in fine dining operations for years and then sold meats for the highest end meat distributor in the country for several more. On the NH/ME/MA seacoast there is enough fine dining and other options to never get bored of the scene.....

...... except I've grown entirely bored with the restaurant scene everywhere in general.

I pretty much only eat out if I crave something I'm not particularly good at cooking, lack the proper equipment to cook or don't have easy access to particular ingredients. Or out of convenience.

Beyond those scenarios I've kinda just been underwhelmed by restaurants for at least five years. Seems even pre-pandemic the value became no longer there and service had gone downhill due to places being understaffed. Or it's just preparations I've had many times before. Because of this, I basically feel like I'm wasting money when I go out to eat even when I do have a great experience.

I kinda feel like 2000-2015 or so was the US Golden age of dining. Lots of innovation and refinement of cooking techniques with expanded ingredients. Tons of people interested in working in the industry because all of that innovation created excitement. That well has just kinda run dry though.

4aprice

You're living out there now? I assume you're retired? If so the midweek thing ain't so bad
2 years snoseek. However the plan has been put in motion, destination selected, real estate bought. (working for us as a LTR till we make the move). My son has a condo in Lakewood close to Red Rocks CC so I have a bed there, but yes I have more options as to when to travel I-70
Maybe I'm just easy to please. I'm most worried about finding a good pizza spot frankly, but that's to be expected for someone from North Jersey.
Ah BG, my son has been in Colorado several years and will tell you "Jersey Pizza" just doesn't exist out west. Good bagels are hard to find too. We like Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs for pizza but it's not Jersey pizza.

Just found out my Granby Ranch Pass added 3 comp Loveland days :)

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Ah BG, my son has been in Colorado several years and will tell you "Jersey Pizza" just doesn't exist out west. Good bagels are hard to find too. We like Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs for pizza but it's not Jersey pizza.

Yeah, I'm mentally preparing myself for this. We did find a good bagel place in Heber City where the owner's from Long Island, so at least that's covered.

BenedictGomez

Wow. I typed this suggestion while BG was typing his mention of it. Did I get the name right BG?

Yup. That's the place. He must be doing okay, because while I was driving around the other day I discovered they opened a 2nd location in Provo.

jaytrem

Anyone have any intel on the McCall ID area? It's near Brundage and Tamarack. Traffic?
Nice little town, been there twice in the winter. Seemed very sleepy weekdays. Like skier traffic or car traffic? Doubt you encounter any lift lines, or car lines. I do hear it's more crowded in the summer. I rented a very nice 3 bedroom house for a few days in the winter, dirt cheap. That was probably about 7 years ago though.

BenedictGomez

It doesn't look like any of the "little passes" include Sundance in an affordable manner.

@jimk @thetrailboss or anyone else know of an cheap'ish way to add some days there? I really love that place & it's going to be quite close to new home, but a season pass there is pretty expensive for just one hill. I might just do it anyway though, but was wondering if anyone's stumbled on other options that include the place.

jaytrem

It doesn't look like any of the "little passes" include Sundance in an affordable manner.

@jimk @thetrailboss or anyone else know of an cheap'ish way to add some days there? I really love that place & it's going to be quite close to new home, but a season pass there is pretty expensive for just one hill. I might just do it anyway though, but was wondering if anyone's stumbled on other options that include the place.
If you want some variety, you could buy a Yeti pass. Only gets you one day at each place. For the price you might be better off with an Ikon in addition to your Epic. It works best once your kids are in 4th 5th or 6th grade. A couple of the places also gave 1 free or discounted adult ticket with the kids passport last year. Powder was one of the freebies. Looks like I deleted the emails with the details, didn't really need them since I had the Yeti/Epic/Indy.

As for Sundance. The upper lift actually had the longest line on our trip. It was a weekend powder day before it warmed up. Once it mushed up the line disappeared. They had a good crowd that day, they were kind enough to add an extra hour of skiing and keep the parking lot lift running all day.

thetrailboss

Staff member

They used to sell tickets at Costco for a reasonable discount. But I have not seen them lately.

2planks2coasts

You're probably already aware of their "S Card"....

$69 weekday tix (22-23) Not a screaming deal, but not awful for such a nice mountain.

2planks2coasts

I believe the Ski Cooper season pass includes 3 days at Sundance (and many other areas).
You are correct. Sundance hasn't released all the details about their 23-24 reciprocals yet, but the 22-23 list includes the MCP mountains in addition to Cooper and Snow King. Not sure the MCP resorts will be there this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member

thetrailboss

Staff member
Anyone have any intel on the McCall, ID area? It's near Brundage and Tamarack. Traffic?
We visited in August 2020. Neat area. Remote to say the least. Brundage is the established ski area. When we visited in the summer it reminded me a bit of the main mountain at Grand Targhee--one main HSQ serving a decent vertical drop and good terrain with fixed grips serving portions of the mountain (and one separate area). The town is nice. The lake is beautiful.

Tamarack was a "go-go 2000's" upstart that went under. Cascade is pretty small and does not have much. The resort is odd in that there are some expensive buildings, some decent lifts (one that was removed by a creditor has been replaced) but the roads are all dirt and it's clear that the resort was half-built. When we were there in 2020 there were literally half-built highrise buildings sitting there vacant. Very odd. That said, it is still undiscovered so it is pretty quiet. A lot of folks like it for the sidecountry options. Do not expect much in terms of amenities.

ThatGuy

Been to each mountain twice. Brundage skis alot like an Eastern Mountain with awesome tree skiing and good groomers to cruise on. Hidden Valley is really fun but not alot of vert. Tamarack feels alot larger and the lift setup allows you to lap the summit (I got something like 30 runs in one day vs ~15 at Brundage). Lots of sidecountry options and more challenging terrain as well. Overall I enojoy Tamarack more but Brundage has its strengths (can park right at the lifts, better lodge and easier to navigate the mountain). McCall is a nicer town than Cascade and has alot more going on.