• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for a Lake Placid like town other then Lake Placid in the North East

Savemeasammy

+1
Maybe add Stratton. I read of some disliking Stratton's base village...why? If the OP wants Lake Placid's main drag...GO TO LAKE PLACID's Main Drag and side streets son!!! Does the OP want some sort of copy...with a phony Stowe Hotel in back???

I haven't spent any amount of time at Stratton, but I did see a little of the village when I bought my skis there. It's quite nice, and seems like a good spot for a vacation.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Congratulations for this thread making it to page five without anyone suggesting Southington, CT.

Cannonball

Any recommendations for a sit-down place with good beers in Lincoln? The Common Man opens at 4 at the earliest during the week. I always end up going to the brewery in Woodstock. Until spring I'm usually done skiing by 2.

The options aren't great.
- I'm getting pretty done with the Brewery. It seems to fit the bill, but the service is reliably terrible and the beers & food are sub par.
- Common Man, as you said opens late. And as soon as it opens it is packed. If you happen to score a couch or bar seat there aren't too many places better. But if you end up standing, there aren't many places worse.

- Gypsy has great food and a small selection of good beers on tap. Hostess/owner is absolutely whacked and turns a lot of people off. Once you get to know her everything changes. She's like an abused dog that way.
- CJ's (Lincoln) and Truants (Woodstock) are the more local's places. Nothing special at either place. But reliable service, cheap, without crowds.
- El Charro (newish Mexican place) has good food and decent bar. But the atmosphere is more geared towards dinner. I'd feel weird sitting there right of the slopes.
- Black Mountain Burger. Good atmosphere for getting a beer at the end of the day. But nothing on tap! Decent selection of bottled beer.
- Gordi's claims to be great Apres. I've never been in there.

As I said, the options aren't great.

bigbog

.....Then there's Wildcat. Nothing beats wildcat on a powder day.

Of course you could drive to wildcat, black out, turn left instead of right and start hiking up the trail in the backside of that building. I heard there's a bowl or ravine or something back there somewhere :daffy:
Truer words have never been spoken....but sounds like the OP isn't interested in the skiing...too bad, lots of terrain enclosed by mentioned resorts.

Domeskier...:lol:, a diehard skier...I can smell it..

Last edited:

yeggous

- I'm getting pretty done with the Brewery. It seems to fit the bill, but the service is reliably terrible and the beers & food are sub par.
- Common Man, as you said opens late. And as soon as it opens it is packed. If you happen to score a couch or bar seat there aren't too many places better. But if you end up standing, there aren't many places worse.

- Gypsy has great food and a small selection of good beers on tap. Hostess/owner is absolutely whacked and turns a lot of people off. Once you get to know her everything changes. She's like an abused dog that way.
- CJ's (Lincoln) and Truants (Woodstock) are the more local's places. Nothing special at either place. But reliable service, cheap, without crowds.
- El Charro (newish Mexican place) has good food and decent bar. But the atmosphere is more geared towards dinner. I'd feel weird sitting there right of the slopes.
- Black Mountain Burger. Good atmosphere for getting a beer at the end of the day. But nothing on tap! Decent selection of bottled beer.

Lincoln doesn't have nearly as many options as North Conway, but there are a few. The Common Man if it is evening, but make sure to go upstairs. This summer I tried Rustic River Restaurant in North Woodstock. It was surprisingly good. It gets two thumbs up.

Smellytele

I liked the brewery before they re did it. It seems to have lost its character.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There is VERY little in Stowe that is worth seeing in the walkable part of town. A couple of stores at most. I agree, though, that if you want the village feel you should stay at the Green Mountain Inn. I haven't checked recently, but the last I knew they operated their outdoor pool year-round.

Stowe is a great place, but mostly because of what is on the mountain road and on the mountain itself.

North Conway has a better village if you want to walk and take in the sights. The outdoor skating rink, the train station, and the stores add up to a lot more than Stowe.

Completely disagree. Stowe has probably triple the amount of restaurants and bars in the walking village area as North Conway. There are equal as many specialty shops and galleries as North Conway as well. No outdoor skating rink, but public skating at Jackson Arena, which is right there. The Vermont Ski and Snowboard Museum. The walking path that takes you 5 miles up the Mountain Road if you want that. IMO Stowe Village is a much more pedestrian friendly experience than North Conway.

I find much of North Conway requires driving to enjoy. Stowe, I can park my car in the Baggy Knees plaza and enjoy myself for many hours.

I say this as someone who loves both places and frequents N. Conway much more these days than I do Stowe.

BenedictGomez

You gotta get up to NH, BG. These guys aren't lying, Cannon is the real deal. I like Loon and WV too, but that's just me. 4 1/2 to WRJ Vt for me then another hour up to the Whites.

I would genuinely like to try the NH resorts someday just to try them out, but given the skiing in Vermont is better, closer, and comes with free lodging (for me), well, those are all powerful draws.

Smellytele

I would genuinely like to try the NH resorts someday just to try them out, but given the skiing in Vermont is better, closer, and comes with free lodging (for me), well, those are all powerful draws.

I have had good days and bad days in both NH and VT. Over all yes skiing is better in VT but I would rather ski Wildcat and Cannon than any place in VT. It is kind of like AC/DC. I like Bon Scott better than Brian Johnson but AC/DCs best album is Back in Black...

Edd

Comprehensive, thanks. Your list confirms why I've always struggled there after skiing. I'll keep trying.

Edd

Completely disagree. Stowe has probably triple the amount of restaurants and bars in the walking village area as North Conway. There are equal as many specialty shops and galleries as North Conway as well. No outdoor skating rink, but public skating at Jackson Arena, which is right there. The Vermont Ski and Snowboard Museum. The walking path that takes you 5 miles up the Mountain Road if you want that. IMO Stowe Village is a much more pedestrian friendly experience than North Conway.

Man, I was apparently not paying attention last time I went to Stowe. We stayed right downtown, in a cool hotel with a gift shop and Mexican restaurant on the first floor (I've heard that has closed). There were a few eateries but I would have guessed NCs walking eatery options downtown would have exceeded that of Stowe. I am much more familiar with NC, however.

If you include places you'd drive quickly to, the conversation gets interesting. Lots of restaurants to choose from at both.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think people don't think to cross the bridge when they visit downtown Stowe. The Vermont Ale House, Rimrocks & Backyard Tavern (affectionately known locally as the Barmuda Triangle) are all 5 minutes walk from the Green Mountain Inn. You also have Pickwicks Pub, O'Grady's and the newly opened The Bench (formerly Pie in the Sky) that are right there as well. Village proper has Harrisons, The Whip, Blue Moon.

And yes, the Mexican restaurant Fridas has closed. It's been replaced by a new restaurant - Mi Casa.

yeggous

I have had good days and bad days in both NH and VT. Over all yes skiing is better in VT but I would rather ski Wildcat and Cannon than any place in VT. It is kind of like AC/DC. I like Bon Scott better than Brian Johnson but AC/DCs best album is Back in Black...

This settles it. You all are going to have to visit us in NH this winter. Saturday at Wildcat and Sunday at Cannon. You can marvel at:
1) Shorter (almost non-existant) lines
2) Lower prices
3) No condos puked all over the mountains
4) The majestic Presidentials
5) No sales tax
6) Liquor stores on the highway

Cannonball

This settles it. You all are going to have to visit us in NH this winter. Saturday at Wildcat and Sunday at Cannon. You can marvel at:
1) Shorter (almost non-existant) lines
2) Lower prices
3) No condos puked all over the mountains
4) The majestic Presidentials
5) No sales tax
6) Liquor stores on the highway

Plus no New Yorkers! Dang....catch-22