• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for ski resorts/mountains with a lot of greens and blues

brantdickens

I've only been a dozen times and all of that has been at Smuggs due to a deal I found here like 6 years ago. So I figured I'd come back here since I've gotten good advice before.

I still haven't left Morse Mountain and can do all the trails there besides the black with confidence. Madonna and Sterling look scary from a distance.

Would appreciate any advice where I can ski those kinds of terrain but with maybe more trail offerings? There's only around 12 on Morse.

I'm willing to drive up to 4-5hrs from Northern RI.

This is next weekend if that matters. Less crowded the better.

Thank you for taking the time to read and possibly offer some advice?

KustyTheKlown

before vail i would have sent this person to okemo. now i just don't know if that's wise, especially on a weekend, especially with ~$150 (?) day tix

Great Bear

before vail i would have sent this person to okemo. now i just don't know if that's wise, especially on a weekend, especially with ~$150 (?) day tix
Agree on Okemo - the terrain is still the terrain despite the crowds (assumed crowds anyway, i have not been since Vail took ownership) and lift ticket prices.

Maybe Cranmore would be a good fit?

skiur

Okemo, yes it's a Vail resort but at least it's in Vermont where Vail seems to care a little more than their resorts in other states.

Apple Country

I've recommended Bretton Woods and Cranmore to folks like this before. Ikon or Vail Mountains don't make a lot of sense given the day ticket rate.

OP are you familiar with the Indy Ski Pass? Two days at a bunch of New England ski areas. It does have some black out days on weekends.

xlr8r

Bretton Woods is the default answer for a resort full of Greens and Easy Blues. Okemo is a little bit tougher. While Okemo does not have much black diamond terrain at all, and is filled with blues everywhere. Some of the blues have some difficult sections for beginners/low intermediates. Bretton Woods is more consistently pitched for beginners/low intermediates.

icecoast1

Agree on Okemo - the terrain is still the terrain despite the crowds (assumed crowds anyway, i have not been since Vail took ownership) and lift ticket prices.

Maybe Cranmore would be a good fit?

Okemo is probably manageable midweek. Could also do Stratton 98 percent of the terrain there isn't worthy of being ranked black

if you're not looking for a huge place, Bromley is a good option

Last edited:

Bosco DaSkia

Catamount gots a nice sized beginner area and some nice long blues. 25 dollar night skiing on thursdays…

43CF1149-F3CF-4F79-A89C-40972E9F7F3B.jpeg

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Okemo is probably manageable midweek. Could also do Stratton 98 percent of the terrain there isn't worthy of being ranked black

if you're not looking for a huge place, Bromley is a good option

I object to this. 99.5% of Stratton is not black terrain lol. Only parts that are are Squirrels nest, Freefall, Lower World Cup, and a couple of short tree shots between Ursa and Shooting Star. Upper Spruce is the funniest double black I've ever skied.

This is a post in good jest btw...

icecoast1

I object to this. 99.5% of Stratton is not black terrain lol. Only parts that are are Squirrels nest, Freefall, Lower World Cup, and a couple of short tree shots between Ursa and Shooting Star. Upper Spruce is the funniest double black I've ever skied.

Upper spruce being a double black is a joke. Other than what you listed and Upper Down Easter, not much there aside from glades is all that challenging

mister moose

Catamount gots a nice sized beginner area and some nice long blues. 25 dollar night skiing on thursdays…
In addition to Catamount, check out Butternut, lots of easy blues, even their blacks aren't blacks. Closer drive for those times you're not up for a long trip.

RISkier

Bretton Woods is 100% a great fit for you. Probably the largest acreage of confidence building terrain in New England like you are seeking
I'd triple that recommendation. I started skiing just before my 50th birthday and BW was our favorite in the early days. There are greens from every lift and most blues are kind of teal. A lot of the greens are pretty long and offer nice fall line skiing. Some places a lot of the green terrain is just cat tracks. Great views of Mt. Washington and the Mt. Washington Hotel as well. I've not been there since they installed the Gondola but that should just make access to all of the terrain easier. While it can get busy it's through the notch and I've just never had that feeling of insanity. Great place for beginners, timid intermediates, or anyone just looking for mellow cruising. Not much in the way of restaurants or pubs in the immediate area. My take on Mt. Snow is there's a lot of easy blue terrain but not much real green terrain; Long John transports folks from the main lodge to Corinthia and transports folks to blue trails. It's a high traffic connector. When I've been there it's a mix of true beginners who are struggling and folks blasting down to get somewhere else. Mt. Snow is also insanely busy on weekends. I recall getting on Schoolmarm at Keystone one day and thinking it was the most dangerous trail at the resort.

MadPadraic

Upper spruce being a double black is a joke. Other than what you listed and Upper Down Easter, not much there aside from glades is all that challenging

Last time I was at Stratton I remember finding some reasonably steep stuff towards the Sunbowl and thinking "Alpine Zone picks on this place too much."
Down Easter Perhaps? Something named after a bear?

MadPadraic

I'm going to go against the grain and once again point out the awesomeness of Cannon (more for blue than green). It doesn't have the same number of blues that Okemo or BW will have, but what it has is freaking superb.

First off, the Tuckerbrook family area is awesome. Two little lifts, great fun trails, and they tend not to have Cannon's well known ice. From the summit, there is Upper Cannon, which is basically the best blue trail in the world (though I haven't ridden them all). If you pace it right, you can basically only turn when the trail turns, which is crazy crazy fun. Vista Way has great views and has a "big mountain" feel while being very manageable. Upper Ravine is very similar to Upper Cannon, but favors a different side. Cannon is best skiied/ridden in pods, and Middle Cannon, rock garden, etc should be avoided. On the front five pod, you've got Rocket and Gary's which are fairly wide, but have great fall lines and lake views. The end of day run down from the Zoomer triple to the main base is quite fun. There are also some very approachable intermediate woods.

Due to proximity, you can pair Cannon with a day at Loon or BW.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I second Bretton Woods. I’d go there first probably before Sunday River. It’s a close call though.

It’s an easier drive to Bretton Woods—almost all interstate. You can probably get a nice weekend deal with lodging. Even if you stay at the Mount Washington Hotel and pay a bit of a premium I would say that the value is going to be far superior than any Vail product.

I would agree with trying Cannon out but probably after doing a trip or two at Bretton Woods to get more confident.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Last time I was at Stratton I remember finding some reasonably steep stuff towards the Sunbowl and thinking "Alpine Zone picks on this place too much."
Down Easter Perhaps? Something named after a bear?

Beardown I think.

When the glades are good Stratton is amazing. The clientele does not go in there and it stays fresh forever. West Pilot could also very well be top 5 longest glades in the East.