• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Silly prices and strange things I've seen on Craigslist

trackbiker

I see a lot of junk like this for ridiculous prices. Don't these people look at what other people are selling similar stuff for? :roll:

https://allentown.craigslist.org/spo/4714075437.html

A friend of mine runs a ski swap for a local high school team. People who paid good money twenty years ago but haven't skied since bring this junk in thinking it is still state-of-the-art. They usually are insulted when he tells them he can throw them in the dumpster or they can throw them in the dumpster.

trackbiker

Here's a deal. Only $200.00! And they may have poles to throw in!!!

attachment.php

"A pair of Dynastar Coupe X8 skis with Marker bindings.. In MINT shape, (200 length/size). These were hardly used. Went for over 500 new. May have poles to throw in. Get ahead of ski season, and get a deal. Must go."

They went for over $500 new in 1994.
Anyone who has shopped on craigslist or ebay has seen a ton on these.

Attachments

• Dynastar Coupe.JPG
    Dynastar Coupe.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 657

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Here's what I love on Ebay - snow sports sellers
here's what I hate on Ebay - snow sports sellers

Either way their ignorance shines through. I'd love to know how many of these ridiculously priced items actually sell. There's a sucker born every minute!

I know some unnamed old school skier, that absolutely loved his 1980's era skis so much, that when they broke, he bought three identical pair off eBay.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I see a lot of junk like this for ridiculous prices. Don't these people look at what other people are selling similar stuff for? :roll:

https://allentown.craigslist.org/spo/4714075437.html

A friend of mine runs a ski swap for a local high school team. People who paid good money twenty years ago but haven't skied since bring this junk in thinking it is still state-of-the-art. They usually are insulted when he tells them he can throw them in the dumpster or they can throw them in the dumpster.

But they sure are purdy.... Everything matches... Love to see the matching parka and pants!

BenedictGomez

I know some unnamed old school skier, that absolutely loved his 1980's era skis so much, that when they broke, he bought three identical pair off eBay.

Even professional athletes can fall in love with equipment. When Wilson finally stopped making the original ProStaff (because technology had long-since advanced) Pete Sampras bought dozens of the raquets from retail stores, online catalogues, you name it, and stockpiled them so he'd have enough to finish out his career.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A big reason why I almost never consider used gear is that folks WAY overvalue their stuff.

BenedictGomez

A big reason why I almost never consider used gear is that folks WAY overvalue their stuff.

True, but for every 2 people that overvalue their stuff, there's 1 person who undervalues their stuff.

I look for the latter and have had some pretty killer results.

Line prophet 90 with Axiom bindings for $220
Line Blend with Look PX bindings for $175
Rossignol S7 with Marker Griffon bindings for $230

All in good to great condition.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe it is because of the fact that I have lived in areas where skiing is big and folks invest a lot in their gear or maybe it is because I look in the wrong places (ski swaps). With places like L9 and ASO Gear I don't really have to consider used.

I have been buying the same pair of Raichle's on Ebay and Craigs list for 10 years, can always find almost new for around $50.

gmcunni

00707_7NE1fvcuNgx_600x450.jpg

Allsup boot-in ski boots carriers in excellent like new condition. $10.00 each or 2 for $15.00. No trades no low ballers

excellent condition? how low is low balling in a $10 item

dlague

00707_7NE1fvcuNgx_600x450.jpg

Allsup boot-in ski boots carriers in excellent like new condition. $10.00 each or 2 for $15.00. No trades no low ballers

excellent condition? how low is low balling in a $10 item

Probably should have washed then a bit before they posted on CL. Plus isn't it easier to just connect the straps and toss them over the shoulder - better yet put them on at the car?

cdskier

Probably should have washed then a bit before they posted on CL. Plus isn't it easier to just connect the straps and toss them over the shoulder - better yet put them on at the car?

Something being advertised as in "excellent like new condition" certainly shouldn't be covered in dirt. Also agree on your other point. I always put mine on at the car.