• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

HouseQuinn

This should probably go in the hiking forum, but anyone know if you can hike around on the Tramline/Kinsman? I want to check them out in summer before checking them out in winter. I know you can do at least part of Kinsman as it overlaps the Kinsman Ridge trail, but wondering if I can just take the tram up and walk down the whole thing. Wouldn't mind poking around some of the other glades to get familiar as well. Any tips are appreciated.

Puck it

This should probably go in the hiking forum, but anyone know if you can hike around on the Tramline/Kinsman? I want to check them out in summer before checking them out in winter. I know you can do at least part of Kinsman as it overlaps the Kinsman Ridge trail, but wondering if I can just take the tram up and walk down the whole thing. Wouldn't mind poking around some of the other glades to get familiar as well. Any tips are appreciated.

No hiking on ski trails allowed at Cannon. There are signs at the top.

HouseQuinn

Seriously. Not trying to take an ATV down it or anything, just want to take a quick walk through to see if I should even bother to attempt it on skis. Trying to be proactive here. Oh well.

HouseQuinn

Cool, thanks for the details. I wanted to do Franconia Ridge tomorrow but we're limited on time, so Kinsman it is.

SIKSKIER

The no hiking on Cannon trails is for good reason.Down low it might not be evident but up top you can clearly see how thin the "topsoil" is on this giant rock.The hikin paths at the top are all right down to granite.Anyway,here is what I would do.Hike the Kinsman Ridge trail out of the Tram parking lot.It stays just south(lookers left) of Kinsman Glade.When you get somewhere in the area of te botom of 1Tramway/Vista way trails then head right.You'll run ito it.I dont think youd have a issue with anybody hiking back down Kinsman Glade as its totally out view.

Last edited:

dlague

BTW was driving back from VT this evening and you can clearly see the work (damage) they have been doing over at Mittersill on barons and up on the middle as well. It is very evident because everything is green on all the trails except over on Mittersill where they have been cutting and everything is brown.

SIKSKIER

Here are some newer shots that I had not seen.First is the view down the recleared Taft Slope.2nd is the old t-bar top station and the 3rd I'm guessing is the new cutback trail to Barons.

Attachments

• mittersillnewtaft.jpg
    mittersillnewtaft.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 206
  • mittersillnewtaft2.jpg
    mittersillnewtaft2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 207
  • mittersillnewtaft3.jpg
    mittersillnewtaft3.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 207

Tin

The old t bar line that held some of the best snow is now gone!

Savemeasammy and I enjoyed it a few times last year. Are the rest of things still relatively in tact? It seemed like the entire hill was skiable and had lots of little rabbit holes.

Puck it

Savemeasammy and I enjoyed it a few times last year. Are the rest of things still relatively in tact? It seemed like the entire hill was skiable and had lots of little rabbit holes.

All of the rabbit holes to the right of the chair and starting at the top of the old bar will be gone. But everything over in Candy land will still be intact.