• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

CT Earthquakes!!

drjeff

So you may have scene the news reports about a few small earthquakes in Eastern CT the last week or so (we've had 4 with 1 3.3 magnitude and 2 smaller aftershocks today) the active fault is about 5 miles from my house and while I was too far away at my office (about 15 miles from the epicenter) to feel last weeks 1st quake (a 2.2 magnitude) I was home and heard and then felt a few seconds later the 3.3 this morning and then a smaller aftershock about 10 minutes later! The 3.3 actually woke my kids up as it sounded like a fully loaded semi truck jamming on its air brakes right outside of my house and then a mild, quick oscillation vibration for maybe 5 seconds shortly after

Kind of both cool and freaky at the same time! Not what one expects just after 6:30AM on a Monday AM by any stretch of the imagination in CT!!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
image.jpgMy Radar Ap has earthquakes , amazing how many there are daily
Edit , dangerous side effect in older homes , check loose masonry , can block chimney.

Last edited:

drjeff

View attachment 14918My Radar Ap has earthquakes , amazing how many there are daily
Edit , dangerous side effect in older homes , check loose masonry , can block chimney.

I feel so lucky! My house (I live basically in the upper left of that screen shot below the "6" in the route 6 sign and just to the right of the "n" in Brooklyn) missed an epicenter by 1.5 miles!! ;)

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I feel so lucky! My house (I live basically in the upper left of that screen shot below the "6" in the route 6 sign and just to the right of the "n" in Brooklyn) missed an epicenter by 1.5 miles!! ;)

My 8yr old was playing with my phone tonight ...going around the world to see which one was the strongest and mentioned CT.

drjeff

Up to 5 earthquakes now in the last 36 hours in my neck of the woods, and 7 or 8 in the last week. All have been between magnitude 2.0 and 3.3. Nothing crazy, but a bit freaky at the same time!

drjeff

Just registered earthquake #12 in the last roughly 10 days in my neck of the woods this AM. A 2.0 magnitude quake at about 4:35 this morning. I didn't feel or hear it

drjeff

at what point do you start thinking there is something really bad going on....

I'm not sure???

The geology "experts" have said that this fault that has recently gone active is a very small, minor one, not capable of doing much more than it has (the largest quake has been a 3.3, and most have been in the 1.8 to 2.2 range). And that this is a just a natural shifting and then resettling of the plates in question and that once they've stabilized (who knows when that will be??) that things will once again be quiet.

Right now in my area, it's more of a curiosity (and pain in the butt for the local police departments as they get typically 100-150 calls right after each quake as they tend to sound like an explosion which startles people far more than the minor shaking) that has people asking each other if they've felt a quake or not yet?

Like I said earlier, my house is less than 5 miles from where the fault that's gone active is located, I've been home for 9 or 10 of the 12 recorded so far (strangely enough the vast majority of them have all occurred between 4:30 and 7AM) and have heard 3 of them and felt 2 of them, so they're exactly a "major" event thus far